Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to maintain your convertible

How to maintain your convertible by dustin

***!!!Disclaimer!!!***
    The following information was gathered from various sites to provide you with some technical information. I've tried to give credit where it is due, in no way am I submitting this as my own information. Please use at your own risk and always follow basic safety precautions!!!!!

Step 1
    Tools: Car wash mitt, car wash soap, lint roller, fabric protectant.

In this step I will tell you how to adequately clean and maintain your canvas convertible top. First you want to wash your top with soap and a hand mitt. I use Mequiars NXT car wash and a soft white hand mitt that I also use to wash the car. As you do with your paint dip the mitt in the bucket of soap and water. Lightly scrub your top but not to hard to fray any of the fabric. Do this till it is clean. Rinse. Now let it dry, in the should is the best place so the sun wont fade it while drying. Now go back over the top once dry with a lint roller picking up and loose material from the mitt. Once you have done this take your fabric protectant, I use RaggTopp fabric protectant, and spray the top not soaking it but a light coat all over for protection. Your top is clean and safe. I would recommend repeating this at least every two weeks.

*The above is applied for vinyl but instead of a mitt use a soft bristle brush.*

Step 2
    Tools: Grease, trim protectant.

In this step you will find out that not only does your top need protecting but its components as well. First lift your top up about half way. Now you can see all the rubber trim above the windshield and on the side of the top above the windows. Clean this thoroughly with a trim cleaner/protectant such as Mequiars exterior trim detailer. Once you have gotten all the trim you know need to lube all of the joints. Lay the top all the way down. This will expose all of the joints; generously lube them up with any suitable grease. This will stop any squeaks you might have had or will have.

Now your convertible top is clean and protected.

***!!!Disclaimer!!!***
    The following information was gathered from various sites to provide you with some technical information. I've tried to give credit where it is due, in no way am I submitting this as my own information. Please use at your own risk and always follow basic safety precautions!!!!!
    Last edited by mcssmostwanted; January 20th, 2007, 09:49 PM.
    2005 Goat - Grass fed.

1996 Camaro RS Vert. - Parted out and sold!

Great info!

I see you got your wish Dan

Comment

Yea Im excited! now all we need is more vert owners!

[SHOWTOGROUPS="7"]test test test[/SHOWTOGROUPS]
      Last edited by mcssmostwanted; January 20th, 2007, 10:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      2005 Goat - Grass fed.

1996 Camaro RS Vert. - Parted out and sold!

Comment

Dude thats great info! Keep those walkthroughs coming...

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
          X