X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering column repair

For anyone needing steering column repair there's a guy up in Caro (Gary 989-670-4141) that will take the column down to the four bolts for the tilt and rebuild it for $20 an hour, usually takes him two hours. I found that to be a better price than the $150 I was quoted from ABC Auto Repair in Flint.

thanks for the name and number. thats a great price if he can actually do the job for $40.
    anyone out there fix their audio controls on the steering wheel? i was told that the reason they dont work is the crappy plastic peices tne factory used actually melt and that the best fix is to use toothpicks as replacements. I was also told that parts to fix this are not interchangeable with other years and i find that hard to believe. I'd be interested if anyone has fixed or replaced theirs and what parts they used. thanks

Comment

That's a good price. I usually charge a bit more than that to tighten up the loose bolts.

Comment

Just recently utilized Gary per the OP's recommendation, and all appears to be well with the work I requested on my column.
        Makin Torque.

Comment

Too bad that isn't even remotely close. Maybe he would have an idea what the hell is going on with my column, though.
          Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Saw a video of someone tightening the bolts on a Fiero column. A lot of steps but 2 hours should be enough.
            When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't think that is my problem, despite those four bolts being notorious for being losse. My tilt is nice and tight - no wobble. But the "pop" when you change directions with the steering wheel is the main problem. I am going to tear it down and see if I can see what's doing it, because right now, it's not something I really intend to drive because it's a bit on the scary side.

And not "fun" scary, more like "we're going to die" scary.

Comment

As in ?safe? versus ?car guy safe?? Lol
                When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Yes - and both of those at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                  X