X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried Opti = Tow truck ride

I figured I would work some O.T. Friday afternoon. I gave the car 90% throttle getting onto the highway and then Bam!!!! It felt like I nailed the rev limiter at 4,000K. It sounded like something blew off the car? Nothing big. Everything looks fine engine wise. I ended up towing her home so I could deal with the diagnostics at my parent house.

I don't have any spark coming from the plug wires, or the coil. I pulled the coil and tested the resistance, all points are the same reading just under 8,000 ohms. I can't read my check engine lights because I have an OBD1 computer with no lap top / software/ cable. I could toss the OBD2 computer in, and use my cheap scanner.

At this point I'm pretty sure I blew the opti. I'll just order a stock A/C delco unit from Summit racing this week. I have a Water pump that I pressed the mechanical stuff out of. I'm going to use the opurtunity to install an electric water pump too.

Anyone have any pointer for the Opti crap? This is my first time changing one, and to my knowledge this guy has over 141,000 miles on the clock?

1997 Trans Am

www.fquick.com/transampimp

Opti-Fail...

Sorry to hear about your woes.
    Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Sorry to hear that....

not cheap I hear....

**** FEAR THIS ! ***

Comment

Pointers? Look into replacing the opti with a Delteq unit. . . Coil Pack Conversion FTW. That setup still uses the Opti, but only for the optical pickup to tell the Delteq unit when to fire. . .
        Nick H.
        Current MIFC Vice President

sigpic

Comment

look on the bright side, you dont have to worry about getting your opti wet now.

i cant really think of any tips... its kinda just something you get done just working through it.
          -Joel
          1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
          1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

sorry to hear it man, good luck
            sigpic
            11.84 @ 117 w 1.66 60' (previous na best)

- - 5.3/4L80e/T7875 - -
            - Huron Speed Turbo Kit -

1998 Formula

Comment

I'd like to go with the coil per plug someday, but I don't want to consider that until the car is running again.

I think I'm going to order a CSR water pump, with the painless wire harness. Anyone good with electrical connections? I want to install some type of LED warning system.

If you guys ever need to tow your car give rons towing a call in Wayland Michigan. The guy that picked my car up, had no trouble getting my car on his truck. He said he tows the Berger Camaros to different shops sometimes.

1997 Trans Am

www.fquick.com/transampimp

Comment

sorry to hear man.. but yes Ron's towing is the shit i use them everytime i need to get towed

Comment

Working...
                X