X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatch won't open with key.

So I've finally got my POS back on the road but I've run into another minor issue. When I try to open the hatch with the key (only way I have to open it, don't have a lever inside) the key just keeps turning and does not release the hatch.

I assume i'm going to have to replace the lock cylinder, but how can I get it open in the mean time? The car is gutted so I think i'll be able to wobble my fat ass back there to mess with it, but what do i need to do to it?

I don't really need it to have a key, if there would be an easy way to just put a popper on it so i just have to hit a button to open it.
    Last edited by formula218; November 19th, 2019, 07:35 AM.
    sigpic
    If you come across a cobra in the wild, wipe it off and apologize.

Sounds like a fun project. I've never had to do it. Not sure on my 3rd gen if you could get the trim off with the hatch closed. I think you'd have to cut some of it. There is a cargo light...not sure what you can access through there.
    DynoDave
    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Since the car is gutted I can access the inside pretty easy. Once I quit being lazy i'm going to climb in and unbolt the latch from the hatch allowing me to open it. Then I can unbolt the latch itself and replace it.

I crawled back and snapped this pic, it looks like the rod that goes through and hooks to the lock cylinder is bent or crooked, i'm thinking that might be my problem.
      IMG_0031.jpg
      sigpic

Comment

Finally tore this apart today and it looks like someone before me broke the lock cylinder and packed it full of poster putty to make it work. I can’t believe this lasted 6 years of me owning it! I drilled out the rivets and removed the old one and just need to grab some bolts to hold the replacement in.

F0D568FE-68CB-4178-8B35-FCBE2336613B.jpeg
        sigpic

Comment

Well that's something unique to find!
          Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Yikes!
            DynoDave
            POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Working...
            X