X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P0336 after Opti swap

So I've found a lot of threads asking about this, but not really anything that can give me definitive answers, so I thought I'd try here.

I recently did an opti swap on my car. I installed a reman AC Delco unit I got from RockAuto. It fixed the high rpm misfire issues I was having before, but now I've had a couple instances where I get a P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor range/performance code when I start the car. Last time it happened, I cleared it right away, and it didn't come back the rest of the drive.

So I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the failure mode when a P0336 is set? I've seen conflicting reports as to whether or not it has any drivability impact or if it's just a dummy code that doesn't really do anything.
    2. What is it about the opti swap that could cause this code to set now, when it didn't before?
    3. Is it possible that when the car was tuned, they tuned it to the characteristics of the faulty old optispark, and it just needs to be re-cal'd with the new part?

1996 Camaro Z28 cam, heads, stall, and a few other goodies
    Alumni Member, MSU Racing Club
    THREE-PEAT MiFbody Meet & Greet "Longest Hauler Award" 2010, 2011, 2012
    Originally posted by JasonH
    It's amazing what you can get done when you throw copious amounts of money at something.

That means that the PCM is occasionally seeing conflicting readouts from the cam and crank sensors.

Could be any of:
    One or both of the sensors are faulty (so possibly the opti again)
    faulty wiring
    slop in the timing chain or (or maybe cam degreed incorrectly?)

Definitely a tricky one... I would doubt the tune has much to do with it but i could be wrong. Is that the only code its throwing? Personally I'd see if it gets worse over time if it isn't affecting the drivability of it.
    -Joel
    1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
    1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

Yeah, that's the only code. I doubt it's faulty wiring or the timing chain, because it never once threw that code with the old opti. Could it have been installed incorrectly? I didn't really pay attention to how the old opti was aligned when I removed it (didn't do any paint marks or anything like that), but it sure seemed like it was made to only go on one way...so that's the way we put the new one on.

1996 Camaro Z28 cam, heads, stall, and a few other goodies
      Alumni Member, MSU Racing Club
      THREE-PEAT MiFbody Meet & Greet "Longest Hauler Award" 2010, 2011, 2012
      Originally posted by JasonH
      It's amazing what you can get done when you throw copious amounts of money at something.

Comment

Working...
      X