X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS1 rod replacement from underneath?

So after my 02' WS6 sat for a little over a year, I went to start it up yesterday and it started for a second and then I heard a boom, and it shut off. After some investigation we found that the rear right rod flew off and punched a small hole through my the bottom side of the engine block. Now It's stuck and won't start. The motor has only 89k miles and the motor was full of perfect, new oil from last season. There were no metal shavings in the oil when we jacked it up and drained the oil.

My question is, does anyone here know if it's possible to replace the furthest back rod's from the bottom of the vehicle WITHOUT pulling the motor? I realize we may have to jack it up to get some more room and drop the oil pan.

I cannot find any information online about this, so I was hoping someone here could help.
    Last edited by BlackbirdWs6zzz; November 5th, 2015, 06:09 PM.

If it punched a hole in the engine block, what is replacing the rod going to do?
    Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Can't be done. Piston has to come out the top

Comment

Yeah it probably won't start if it's missing a rod
        2000 Trans Am l 1967 Firebird

sigpic

Comment

Actually, if it wasn't jammed up it could run missing a rod and piston. Wouldn't run good but it could run.
          When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

You'd loose an obnoxious amount of oil pressure from the rod bearing not being on the journal though. Best bet is to take the engine out and get it over with. I personally don't think it's worth fiddling around with. Chances are, you'll need more than just replacing the rod and bearing. Even so, it's a great time to do cam/heads, right.
            91 Firebird 305 TBI

Comment

Working...
            X