X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHICH 5.3 TO BUY?!

Im buying my engine in the next month now that I sold the 02.
    Last I believe I was told was to go with the 04 plus with vin T because it has some forged internals
    I do not know the difference between that or an L33 or if there is any.
    I really dont want to get up over 1k for a complete engine otherwise id just go reman which i can get for 2k
    HELP PLEASE!!

Seems to be according to LS1tech i should go with an 05+ aluminum L33 with 243 or 317 heads.... anyone confirm?
    ??

Comment

05 and up used wrist pin rods and pistons, nothing forged about them...just a newer design of the powdered metal rods.

L33 is the aluminum block 5.3

1998 Camaro Z28 - Bright Red, 6.0 TR224, 4l60e, 3.42 Eaton TrueTrac
      1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes
      1955 Bel Air 2 Door Post - 357 TPI, Muncie M20, 4 wheel disc

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Daily Driver

Comment

07-08 up would be 58x

Comment

So is an L33 with 243 or 317 heads my best bet with a huron kit?
          like i said i really dont want to get up over 1k for the motor, not including switching the heads

Comment

If you want to give up block strength in order to save 80 lbs or so, yes. Really depends on how much you want out of it.

L33 should have 243 or 799 heads, selling those would pay for 317 heads and put some cash in your hand.

1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes

Comment

so from the condescending way you said that i should go L33 Iron block. lmao

Comment

lol l33 is plenty strong
                "In essence, it's a filled stock L33 block, stock crank, stock rods, stock pistons, and stock ported 799 heads with a GT55-88 on methanol. Went a best E.T. of 4.83 and a best MPH of 151 at 2965 pounds."

Comment

Lots of people have put some crazy boost on the iron block, its also much more common. Thats what I would go for...and it should be cheaper.
                  1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - 6 Speed

Comment

Never meant to be condescending, just have no idea of your goals and if weight is a concern. Plenty of L33s with over 600rwhp

Iron blocks are LM7 and such, L33 are high compression aluminum block 5.3

Comment

to go 151 in the 1/8 its about double 600hp

Comment

Originally posted by 1BADAIR View Post
                        to go 151 in the 1/8 its about double 600hp
                        "it's a filled stock L33 block"

I doubt Jeremey would like to go that route. Then again, I don't know his intentions with the car

Comment

Didnt I see someone on here selling a running lm7 ? Which I think its better not picking an unknown condition engine. I'll have to go back and see if I can find the posting

Comment

Ok so goals are pretty vague. Im still debating going twins for the sheer fact of having twins because it seems like tons of people now have a turbo 5.3. Just to be different i may go that route. Over all intention is over 700 less then 1k as its still a street car. I know thats quite a large range but honestly id be happy inside that range and alot will depend on what i can pull out of the motor before boost. my goal is to get a 5.3 to about 400 NA. With that in mind i think i should be able to reach a 700 without too much trouble. from there its just changing a few things to get further. Huron turbo kit no matter what, cam, ls6 intake, t56, already have chromoly driveshaft, ford 9 in rear, so the shaft and rear end should be good to go.
                            hopefully that helps narrow it down at least a bit.

As "Fast & Furious" as it sounds the goal is a 10 sec street car weekend warrior that i can just jump in a drive if i feel like it.
                            Last edited by DarkKnight; April 7th, 2015, 09:27 AM.

Comment

And i didn't mean you were being condescending with me just towards people who would choose to save 80 lbs over the strength of iron.
                              no biggie [MENTION=3564]hoogiesngrinderz[/MENTION] you've always been helpful lol

Comment

Working...
                              X