X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pontiac 400 into a 4th Gen

Hey all. Just looking for some tips on a swap that I am looking into.

*DISCLAIMER*
    I do not want to swap in an LS engine, so don't tell me that is a better idea
    I realize this is a very difficult swap. I'm ready for that.

I have a roughly 400 horsepower Pontiac 400 that I rebuilt last year that is just sitting under a bench now. I am looking at putting it into my 1995 Pontiac Trans Am. The LT1 and T56 are still in the Trans am for now, they will be out soon. I was just looking for some answers as I know this is not a common swap. I have come up with a list of questions to ask and would greatly appreciate anyone that can offer their assistance.

1: Does anyone know the exact measurement from the top of the k-member to the bottom of the hood by the cowl? I am designing my own plenum style EFI intake for the Pontiac engine and need to know how much room I have to work with.

2: Does the optispark contain both the cam and crank sensors for the LT1? I am trying to utilize and adapt the LT1's engine management system to the 400 and was curious if these two sensors were in that bastard. I am planning on going with a cam sensor and crank trigger for the 400.

3: What is the lb/hr rating on factory LT injectors?

That should be about it. I have most of it figured out. I know that Butler Performance built a 2000 Firebird for Pontiac for SEMA with a Pontiac 400 under the hood. This has been quite challenging as I can only find one vague picture of it under the hood, but I was raised Pure Pontiac and would like to get a 400 into my 4th gen, no matter how hard. I've already figured out how to make the T56 work with the engine, just need some help with the electrical system and such. Again, I appreciate any help that anyone can offer.
    sigpic
    1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    Stock LT1/M6

Are you against using an LS computer instead of the LT? If that is an option, EFI connections makes parts to provide the correct signals to feed the LS computer from SBC and LT1 engines, bet you could make something work with the 400. Or maybe even just a drop-in distributor that provides both signals, I think there's something out there that can supply LS crank and cam signals in the same unit although not sure the interchangeability with a Pontiac 400. With a few wiring changes, the LS computer will control all of the other functions on an LT-based 4th gen vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie2000 View Post
      Are you against using an LS computer instead of the LT? If that is an option, EFI connections makes parts to provide the correct signals to feed the LS computer from SBC and LT1 engines, bet you could make something work with the 400. Or maybe even just a drop-in distributor that provides both signals, I think there's something out there that can supply LS crank and cam signals in the same unit although not sure the interchangeability with a Pontiac 400. With a few wiring changes, the LS computer will control all of the other functions on an LT-based 4th gen vehicle.
      Thank you, I hadn't thought about utilizing that. If I really wanted to get creative, I could just switch to a reluctor wheel and coil on plug and get rid of the distributor all together I'm pretty sure as long as I know the parameters of the engine and where I want everything set, a good tuning person can remap everything to work for any engine.
      sigpic
      Stock LT1/M6

Comment

They have "distributors" for SBCs that are just crank/cam sensors without the actual spark distribution part. If you could make one of those work in a 400 with the coils that would be the ideal setup IMO.

Comment

That would be pretty much perfect. Even just a regular distributor with crank and cam signals would be great
          sigpic
          Stock LT1/M6

Comment

i was just thinkig that, cpc would be your best bet right out of the box, adapt to an ls computer and harness adapters, as stated they make short dizzys that have just a pickup, and your planning on running the lt1 top end of sorta i assume? thats wise because otherwise for a carb your cowling needs to be cut, and trying to make the opti work would ultimately be a hassle id think. lt1 and sbc motor mounts are the same but i dont have the slightest clue on pontiac stuff. remember that most sbc swap in 4th gens require cutting due to the height of the engines.
            91 Trans am, 305, Lt1 cam, 24lb injectors, headers, SLP LM2, SW chassis, massive panhard, lowered, modded TPI, Tuned, 4.10s, Lincoln locked
            85 Z28 406/th400?/3.42 4th gen disc rear/4th gen dash
            00 Tahoe Z71........Stock
            97 K1500 lt4 cam, 1.6s, MPFI, Solid axled, IROKs,------winter beater

Comment

I am not utilizing the optispark at all. I am in the process of designing a sheet metal efi intake. It will either be a plenum design or a twin plenum design that will have one throttle body from an LS1. I have a contact that I think I could get an LS1 harness and computer from as well so that would make things easier. I just basically want a completely tunable Pontiac 400 with sequential fuel injection.

Literally just found this retrofit kit.
              http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/mult...-base-kithtml/
              sigpic
              Stock LT1/M6

Comment

pricy but worth it, the 411 computers and such that ls's are based off of are ridiculous for the amount you can persuade them to control things.
                91 Trans am, 305, Lt1 cam, 24lb injectors, headers, SLP LM2, SW chassis, massive panhard, lowered, modded TPI, Tuned, 4.10s, Lincoln locked
                85 Z28 406/th400?/3.42 4th gen disc rear/4th gen dash
                00 Tahoe Z71........Stock
                97 K1500 lt4 cam, 1.6s, MPFI, Solid axled, IROKs,------winter beater

Comment

I know nothing...except that I'd like to follow this project! Hope you'll keep us posted with updates.
                  DynoDave
                  POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

This is the car in question. I really appreciate the help from everyone.
                    ta.jpgback.jpg
                    This is my LT1 that is currently in there. Just stock with longtubes.
                    lt1.jpg
                    Here's the beast I want to put in there. Obviously with a different intake, no carb or fan.
                    1975 Pontiac 400 from a Trans Am
                    Stock Bottom End. Complete Overhaul
                    #62 1969 428 HO Heads (originally a 390 hp engine)
                    -2.11/1.77 Valves
                    -Heavily Modified
                    -Stock 72cc but I believe they are now like 67cc Combustion Chambers
                    Valvetrain:
                    -Factory Pushrods
                    -Hardened Comp Lifters
                    -Comp Valve Springs 995-16
                    -1.5:1 Factory Rockers
                    -Comp Cams Magnum 292H .501/.501 Lift 292/292 Duration 110 degree LSA
                    Originally had 7.5:1 Compression, Now is roughly 10.25:1
                    I will have Ram Air exhaust manifolds to clear the steering shaft but other than that, the exhaust will be factory 2.5"
                    400hp 400tq estimated
                    my400.jpg

Also using my T56, making the necessary changes to adapt that to the 400. With the 400, the 6 Speed, and 3.42 gears, this thing should scream. Like I said, I am working on designing an intake manifold that will clear the factory hood making the thing a total sleeper.
                    sigpic
                    Stock LT1/M6

Comment

[MENTION=2608]Gregs_gsxr[/MENTION] was selling a 411 pcm if that helps at all haha!
                      "Project Shadowfax" <- Clicky Clicky

1984 Pontiac Trans Am (15th Anniversary Edition)
                      L69 (High Output 5.0) / 700r4 Auto Trans

Comment

I know there's no more lame reason to like an engine than for it's color, but, I really like that color!
                        DynoDave
                        POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Subscribed....very interesting build

Comment

AEM makes a "distributor" that provides a cam signal and 24x crank that should work with the 411 pcm and coil per cylinder. About 320 bucks, might use one if I decide to swap my IROC.

I've worked with a couple 400's...you're going to have a tight squeeze, and most likely some serious cowl clearance issues. Exhaust might be a nightmare!

1998 Camaro Z28 - Bright Red, 6.0 TR224, 4l60e, 3.42 Eaton TrueTrac
                            1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes
                            1955 Bel Air 2 Door Post - 357 TPI, Muncie M20, 4 wheel disc

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Daily Driver

Comment

Working...
                            X