X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigger engine using same 305 tbi & harness

I feel terrible. I took my sons car out today. Drove ten miles and didnt even play too hard.
    I got off the freeway and was greeted with a rod knock!

My son doesnt blame me says, "no big surprise with a 24 year old motor".

I wasnt exactly shocked myself with the questionable oil pressure.

Here's the question. Engine swap will be on a TIGHT budget but I'd like to put a little bit more motor in than we take out.

Should we just build a 305, or could I swap in a 327 and keep (for now) the computer and tbi intake?

I can swap a motor, but I'm no builder. Advice please

Originally posted by Yoshi94
    Mines about an inch bigger than Kyles. I need to get one of those
    Originally posted by ryanwarby01
    Put it this way, if you have a money tree a LT1 is a wood chipper!
    sigpic

Comment

Can I use the same TBI and computer? He'd love a 350.

Comment

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tb...-350-swap.html

Need

350 injectors
        350 Knock Sensor
        350 ESC module
        350 Chip.
        sigpic

Comment

If your on a budget, I would pull engine take it to State Motors he's very good, If you pull heads and take short block in new bearings main and rods regrind on crank maybe bore job etc he will reassemble cost around 1100 or less depending how bad it is. Then you just need new gaskets and re assemble and re- install engine. can use same everything else. If you do 350 engine swap you will need trans, ECU, wire harness, different radiator, hoses etc.
          sigpic
          1998 Trans Am Convertible A4 - WS6 hood, WS6 air lid, WS6 rims, drilled/slotted rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by Plum Nuts View Post
            If your on a budget, I would pull engine take it to State Motors he's very good, If you pull heads and take short block in new bearings main and rods regrind on crank maybe bore job etc he will reassemble cost around 1100 or less depending how bad it is. Then you just need new gaskets and re assemble and re- install engine. can use same everything else. If you do 350 engine swap you will need trans, ECU, wire harness, different radiator, hoses etc.
            This motor evidently has a lot of miles, you really think putting the old valve train in is the best way to go?

Also curious as to why I would need a new harness and trans going from 305 to 350. didn't they use the same trans back for both motors in that car?

Do you think the 350 swap can be done for 2 grand? I can do the work.

Comment

I think it can be done, 350s are a dime a dozen.
              sigpic

Comment

It can be done, TJ pretty much covered it!

Harness is the same, I can burn you a chip to work with the 350 (about $50 for the G1 adapter and EEPROM chip, I don't charge for flashing chips) and can tune out emissions and whatnot. Or you can buy an OEM memcal on ebay or from somebody on TGO.

1998 Camaro Z28 - Bright Red, 6.0 TR224, 4l60e, 3.42 Eaton TrueTrac
                1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes
                1955 Bel Air 2 Door Post - 357 TPI, Muncie M20, 4 wheel disc

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Daily Driver

Comment

Sounds good. Were probably gonna need a month to build up some cash, then off we go. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

The radiator is the same as well. If you want a cheap running 305, I would consider selling the engine from my 1992.

Comment

Originally posted by bri2203 View Post
                      The radiator is the same as well. If you want a cheap running 305, I would consider selling the engine from my 1992.
                      PM me please. That was the T-Top car, right?

Comment

You can junkyard a 350 for cheap.
                        sigpic

Comment

Due to budget constraints, were gonna take Brian up on his offer and stay with a 305 to this year. This way he can do a lot more to the interior.

Comment

Header are ordered! We should have the "new" motor in this week. I think I'm more excited than my son.

Comment

Wished I would have noticed this thread. I just gave a perfectly good 85 Bette motor to a scrap guy. Would have been better in your hands. sorry.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                              X