Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My car is dead.

Hi guys.
    RIP Scarlett

Today is a sad day for me and Jen. I was on my way to work this morning and about 5 miles out I hear a loud bang from the front end as if something exploded under the front end or I hit a boulder. I pulled over and my engine was knocking loudly. I look the car over and there are no evident signs of damage but the engine is still knocking.

I start the car and drive back home. Luckily my buddy Brent was able to pick me up on his was to Detroit, otherwise I would have missed work and probably lost my job. Brent is an ASE and Michigan certified master tech. He tells me that it could be a number of things ranging from fixable to complete devastation. After talking to all the other guys in my shop we came up with either an accessory item like the water pump or AC compressor failed. Or even worse I could have thrown a rod or spun a bearing!

I get to work and go about my business, all day I wanted to throw up thinking about my poor car. I spent the better part of the day running through the what ifs in my head. I must tell you getting through work after something like this happens is very difficult. Finally I get out of work and Brent drives me home.

I start looking things over. All my spark plugs and wires are just as they should be and the serpentine belt is tight and new. The oil is a quart low, but nothing major. I go pull the Serpentine belt hoping that it would be an accessory drive item and that with the belt off the noise would be gone. Unfortunately no such luck. The knocking is still there and I pulled the car back to find a small pool of oil on the ground.

So that means it is internal engine failure either a rod or a bearing, both meaning death for my bird. Both my pride and joy and my DD. THIS SUCKS! Any of you who know me know that my car is an extension of myself so right now I feel like shit.

I know that it is a car and not a person, but I built that car the way I wanted. I loved the way it drove and the sound always made me smile. Now thats over. I had many guys tell me to look on the bright side and "Now I have a reason to upgrade". I suppose they are right but I really was happy with where my car was. I don't know how it happened nor why but after only 107,000 miles my Firebird is dead and now I have very little to look forward to this summer without my car.

I am sure many of you know how I am feeling right now. Maybe someone can help. Maybe you might know someone that could help or have some advice to get me through this.

I know someday my car will be back on the road but most likely not this year. If any of you know of turn key 3.8L for cheap please let me know. Or if you know of a cheap DD, does not need to be pretty or fast, gas mileage would be a plus please let me know.

The other possibility is an LS1 swap (More looking down the road). I was planning on buying an LS1 off a member near me but I do not have any of the necessities for thw swap. If buy some chance any of you might have the parts I would need to accomplish this please let me know. Unfortunately I am limited by price so cheap or free would be extemely helpful. So from one Mifbody family member to another please help if you can.

Thank you all for your time and consideration. I still hope to make the meet and greet, CSF, and maybe a few other shows or Woodward but I will only be able to go if I can ride shotgun or drive my old rattletrap Explorer.

Sorry to hear Ben. I've been feeling pretty bad too, not being able to drive mine. It sucks.

LS1 buddy, LS1.

Used to own a Firebird.

Comment

Been there a couple times myself...feel bad for awhile then get your ass in gear and upgrade.
      sigpic
      Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Comment

Sorry to hear man..
        sigpic
        U.S. Army 1983-2005
        11.20@122.37 1.51 60'

Originally posted by WMCCjames

"Plans Subject to change upon Sobering up"

Comment

Sorry to hear Ben. I know the pain. Had mine for 4 days before it blew up and had to go right to work. 12 weeks later and I still don't have it back!!!

You can get a complete LT1 for pretty cheap. I paid $550 for mine. It's out of a 94 Caprice, but works.

Comment

Sucks to hear, Ben.

Get an LS1, though!
            Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Sorry to hear, Ben. My condolences.
              - Brian Meissen
              Owner, MiFBody.com
              Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
              2022 Camaro LT1 - "Cherry Bomb 2"
              Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2022
              June 4th, 2022 - 9am to 3pm!!!
              The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

RIP

Well Ben tear her down and see what the damage is, also I believe someone on the site in my area had a complete V6 drive train for sale. I think it was cheap too for the engine...

Comment

Cheapest 3.8 engine I've seen is on ebay, 73k miles, $750+ Freight Shipping costs. Sorry to hear about the 'bird, man. . .

Get that motor pulled out, drop the oil pan, and check the damage. It's probably best that this happened this year rather than next year, you were talking about doing some radical stuff this winter, you should take it as a sign that it's time to upgrade the engine internals before throwing any heavy mods at the car. . .

You need to go pick that motorcycle up so you can get it finished and start riding it. That will save you some money on gas, and the first time you get stuck riding that thing in a downpour will motivate you REAL quick to get the 'bird back on the road.

EDIT: Here's an engine and trans in Tulsa, OK for $400, only 50k miles on it. . .

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/1740721478.html
                  Last edited by 93formulalt1; May 25th, 2010, 10:22 PM.
                  Nick H.
                  Current MIFC Vice President

sigpic

Comment

http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...out&highlight=

Ben check that thread out, he has a v6 for sale, cheap too. You can use all your accessories and such as well. Might just be a weekend job, maybe we can get a few over to help ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrenscamaro View Post
                      http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...out&highlight=

Ben check that thread out, he has a v6 for sale, cheap too. You can use all your accessories and such as well. Might just be a weekend job, maybe we can get a few over to help ya.
                      Biggest problem there being that Ben doesn't have a garage. My garage is full of half-finished projects as it is, and I don't have all the tools necessary for the swap. . . Ben, check around, see if you can find anybody you know that wouldn't fly off the handle if you had a few peeps from MIFBody over to help you swap an engine over one weekend. I would, but my Mom would kill me if I hosted a late-night engine swap party weekend here.
                      Nick H.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 93formulalt1 View Post
                        Biggest problem there being that Ben doesn't have a garage. My garage is full of half-finished projects as it is, and I don't have all the tools necessary for the swap. . . Ben, check around, see if you can find anybody you know that wouldn't fly off the handle if you had a few peeps from MIFBody over to help you swap an engine over one weekend. I would, but my Mom would kill me if I hosted a late-night engine swap party weekend here.
                        If someone would lend him a cherry picker we could do it in a driveway, cherry picker and basic tools can get the job done. I am willing to help Ben, this Andy guy lives right around the block from me if you were interested in getting that short block or any other engine parts from him. I have a truck and a trailer we could get it back to your place or somewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Darrenscamaro View Post
                          If someone would lend him a cherry picker we could do it in a driveway, cherry picker and basic tools can get the job done. I am willing to help Ben, this Andy guy lives right around the block from me if you were interested in getting that short block or any other engine parts from him. I have a truck and a trailer we could get it back to your place or somewhere!
                          He's got a gravel/dirt driveway, any rain in the days preceding the swap, and the whole thing will just sink in. lol Just pick a weekend that has decent weather, I think we might pull this off.
                          Nick H.

sigpic

Comment

Sorry to hear man! 107k is barely broken in (no pun intended).

1999 Pontiac Trans Am - LS1 - M6 - ITSSLOW - 12.998@109.59 - SOLD
                            1994 Chevrolet Camaro
                            - 3.4L - M5 - ITSSLWR - 16.558@85.38
                            2003 Chevrolet Blazer
                            2005 Yamaha R6
                            2001 Yamaha YZ426F

Comment

Sorry to hear Ben, good luck on whatever you decide to do with it.
                              West Michigan Pontiac Club

"A Camaro looks like it can kick your a**, a Trans Am is coming over to do it"

Comment

Working...
                              X