X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 to LT1 SWAP

My buddy draftkid and I are swapping an LT1 into his 96 V6 car.

We have an LT1, harness and ECM out of a 95 Vette. There will be many questions on this as we do it but the first is..

Will the 95 Vette Computer and Harness work without modification?

More than likely not. I'm not familiar with the vette harness but I doubt the vette harness ties into the engine harness and the interior modules the same way.

Going to be a lot of fun - 96 is obviously OBD2 and the 95 is 1.5 so you might not have too many wiring differences.

Is the wiring harness still on the LT1? If it isn't, spread it out on the floor and see if the connections match this harness:

Specifically, you want to make sure these connections are present:
    C210, C220, C230:

C100 and C105:

I think the PCMs might be the same, but I'm not sure on that. If you do find out you can't use the PCM and wiring harness, make sure the wiring harness you get for the LT1 is for an FBody from 1996-1997. LT1s from '96-'97 were the same as far as sensors and what not go so you will be OK.
    Last edited by meissen; September 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM.
    - Brian Meissen
    Owner, MiFBody.com
    Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
    2016 Camaro LFX A8 - "Elmo"
    15th Annual Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2019
    June 8th, 2019 - 8am to 3pm!!!
    The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

Just from looking at what that has, It don't look the same... where could we find a 96-97 harness and ECM?

Comment

hmmm
        DraftKid

sigpic

The best part about buying new tires is burning the old ones the day before

1996 RS 3.8L ... for now

Comment

Junkyard or e-bay, unfortunately. The PCM MAY be ok to use but I don't know. I'd hate to say don't buy one and try it out only to find out when you're trying to fire it up for the first time that it won't start because the PCM is specific or something.

Here's a 95 Camaro LT1 PCM:
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...Q5fAccessories

I also apologize - the information I gave you in my previous post is incorrect but on the right path. I was thinking the ENGINE was a 96 going into a 95. You have a 95 engine going into a 96 so that means you need to make sure the PCM and the wiring harness are from a 1995 Camaro. You might be able to get a PCM from a 94-97 but the 1995 engine wiring harness is going to be SPECIFIC to the 1995 Camaro.

- 1993 you can't use the harness because it's a speed density and won't have the MAF connector
          - 1994 has the MAF connector but it's for an UNVENTED optispark... not sure if the 1994 opti harness is the same as 1995-1997.
          - 1995 has the MAF Connector, is a VENTED optispark, BUT it is missing the crank position sensor.
          - 1996-1997 has the MAF connector, is vented, and has a crank position sensor.

So, you want to get a 1995-specific wiring harness for the engine.

Honestly - how much did you get the '95 vette LT1 engine for? If you didn't get it for a blazingly awesome deal, I'd really recommend finding a 1996 or 1997 LT1 Camaro or Trans Am that has some really bad body damage but no engine damage. You'd be better off going that route because you'd have all the wiring harness that you need from that parts car AND you would have the LT1 k-member that you're going to need, plus the LT1 heater hoses, LT1 radiator, LT1 power steering reservoir, LT1 cruise control cable, LT1 throttle cable, etc. All those parts are going to nickel and dime you to death and would make getting an LT1 Camaro/Trans Am car for parts more worth it. Hell, if you can find an LT1 parts car that has the engine harness but the engine is missing, that'd be awesome...

That said - I'm not saying to just sell your v6 and buy an LT1 car. If you want to do the swap, more power to you - I encourage it. It's a great learning experience and as long as you don't mind dumping a few grand at the very least into the project, you'll have a great time.

Lastly - is your V6 blown? Is the v6 transmission good? If the V6 engine is in good working condition, you could probably sell it for $200-$300. I sold my v6 engine for $300 and my v6 transmission for $300. I can't tell from your album pictures if it's an automatic or a manual but while the 4L60e is used in both the v6 and the v8, they're different internally so you'd need a rebuild at the very least before you can use it.
          Last edited by meissen; September 3rd, 2009, 07:17 PM.
          - Brian Meissen
          Owner, MiFBody.com

Comment

Hey thanks for the info... just want to state out i bought the motor, trans, harness and ecu all in one from a 95 vette.. with that being said.. it should run right?
            Last edited by Draftkid; September 3rd, 2009, 08:18 PM.
            DraftKid

sigpic

The best part about buying new tires is burning the old ones the day before

1996 RS 3.8L ... for now

Comment

The Engine is out of a 95 Corvette so is the harness and ECM, the trans is a 700r4.

There is a peice of the harness that is cut... going inside the firewall it looks like... I just wondering if a 96 V6 camaro Interior harness is compatible with a 95 Vette V8 engine harness and ECM

Some shit looks noticably different.. there is bulbs attached to this harness... Is the Interior harness seperate from the engine harness?

how does the interior wiring meet the engine wiring?

Comment

Well your problem is that the 95 vette's engine harness is probably not compatible with the 96 Camaro engine bay and interior harness.

The Camaro's engine harness ties into two other harnesses. The interior/dash harness and the engine bay harness. For the interior/dash harness there's 3-4 connections that plug in on the passenger side interior kick panel area. They're absolute musts because they deal with the BCM, gauge cluster, etc. The engine bay harness has two connections that are on the passenger side shock tower along the fender. Just the same, these are absolute musts because your PCM and injectors get power from the engine bay harness through those two plugs.

Scroll back up to post #2 - the harness picture I posted is what the Camaro engine harness looks like when it's all spread out. There shouldn't be any bulbs attached to it.

Did the 95 vette LT1 come with all its accessories too? I fear the accessories won't be compatible either - to some extent. I vaguely remember seeing/reading the accessories being located in different locations on the Vette than they are on the Camaro.

And are you sure it's the 700r4 and not the 4L60e? The 700r4 is not electronically controlled whereas the 4L60e is electronically controlled (the "e" in '4L60e'). If you indeed do have a 700r4 you're mixing in something new to the equation because from 1994-2002 the FBodies used 4L60e automatic transmissions.

Unfortunately, these engines are so specific to the car they're in... it's not like a drop in engine with a carb and you only need a fuel line, radiator lines, and some power lines to the distributor.
                Last edited by meissen; September 3rd, 2009, 08:24 PM.
                - Brian Meissen
                Owner, MiFBody.com

Comment

I am absolutley sure its a 700R4, I have a 4l60e in my 95

What year motor etc did you put in your car and what year is your car.

because we also have access to a LT1 from a 95 with all accessory's minus a tranny for 1,000 bucks and it has 90xxx KM

and we also have access to a complete car 93 Z28 for 1,500 but this has 300xxx KM on it

what would you reccommend doing? seeing as how you have already gone through this and have more knowledge then we do

Comment

That's interesting about the 700r4 - was it from the 'vette too? I'm just surprised/intrigued that they switched to 4L60e on the Camaro in 1994 but a 1995 Vette would still have the "old technology" trans.

I have a 1994 car with a 1995 engine. We still had to do a handful of wiring modifications to the harnesses to make everything work and I'll tell ya at first in all honesty it was a little bit overwhelming. But when you get to that point, I'd be willing to walk ya through it on here the best I can. Hopefully you guys are comfortable with a soldering iron and volt meters.

Have you tried looking for any parts cars?

Here's the scenario you're going to run into -
                    $1000 for the 95 LT1 with all accessories
                    X amount for the LT1 4L60e transmission
                    X amount for 95 LT1 PCM
                    X amount for 95 engine harness
                    X amount for the throttle cable (v6 and v8 are different lengths)
                    X amount for the cruise control cable (same as throttle cable, different lengths)
                    X amount for the LT1 K-member (LT1 motor mount locations are different than the v6 motor mount locations)
                    X amount for the LT1 radiator
                    X amount for the LT1 radiator fans (sometimes you can score a deal for the radiator + fans)
                    X amount for the LT1 heater hoses that run from the heater core to the engine/radiator... honestly can't remember where it runs at the moment, but regardless v6 is different than v8

See what I mean? If you can find an LT1 car that was in a rear end accident or had a fire in the back of the car or something like that you could harvest all the parts off that car for probably cheaper than you'd spend buying all the parts separate.

I definitely don't want to steer you out of doing the swap - I think it's an EXCELLENT learning experience, just be prepared to open the wallets.

If you had to go with one of those two engines, I'd get the 95 LT1 with all the accessories for $1000 and I'd sell all of the Corvette parts. Hopefully you got it for cheap so you can sell it all and make a profit on it.
                    Last edited by meissen; September 3rd, 2009, 08:49 PM.
                    - Brian Meissen
                    Owner, MiFBody.com

Comment

See I was thinking, get the 93 Z, take the motor out... and use the block and heads off the 95 LT1 we have cause it has less miles.. then use all the same stuff off of the 93 Z, 4l60e, harness, ECM, rad, K-member and a bonus the rear wheel disc rear end.

That way with having a full running car we can take the 93 Z stuff and put it all in the 96 V6 and then take the V6 stuff and put it in the 93 Z and sell it.

see where im going with that.

Because with the purchase of that car for 1,500 we would have every single thing needed to make the V6 a V8 and then sell the 93 with the V6 stuff in it to make back some money.

and the 300xxx K is no biggie because we will use the block and heads from the vette engine.

Comment

D'oh, you're entirely right on using the 93 car.. I missed that it was a complete car, I thought it was only a 93 engine.

You're on the right track now. Get the 93 car, swap all the 93 parts over and then either use the 93 engine entirely or if you already have that Vette engine, you could use the '95 engine - you'll just have to swap the timing set from the 93 engine into the 95 because 93 is a gear-driven optispark where as 95 is driven by the cam dowel.
                        - Brian Meissen
                        Owner, MiFBody.com

Comment

Originally posted by Clutch_Z28 View Post
                          See I was thinking, get the 93 Z, take the motor out... and use the block and heads off the 95 LT1 we have cause it has less miles.. then use all the same stuff off of the 93 Z, 4l60e, harness, ECM, rad, K-member and a bonus the rear wheel disc rear end.
                          93 will have a 700r4...
                          1999 Camaro - 6 liters of fury.....

Comment

Well because of the waste of time buying that vette motor was, the 93 is now sold... **** were back at square one!

Thanks for all the Info guys, MIFBODY RULES.... lolol

Comment

Sorry to hear. Definitely get a parts car if you can - that's the better way to do it.
                              - Brian Meissen
                              Owner, MiFBody.com

Comment

Working...
                              X