X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C3 automotive in Brighton

has anybody used them in the past? I think I am going to use them to fix the 4l60e in my vert. Supposed to bring it in next saturday. Guy seems to know about GM automatics.
    When in doubt, Whip it out !

I have never heard of them.

If your plans do not pan out, I work with two techs who are very familiar with 700r4/ 4l60e's.

Comment

I'd seriously consider Rich @ Detroit Gearbox also if you're still looking around.

Comment

I've rebuilt the 4l60e twice in the past 6 months, it's really not that bad. Also there is great support on LS1tech and a local moderator(he lives in Ann Arbor) on there that is very knowledgeable and has tools/all of the documentation you could ever want that he is willing to share.

Comment

It's not bad to do it yourself, had to make a couple tools to do it though. In the long run it was a great learning experience and I saved about 400...but I recommend having it done and get a written warranty. Found out my valve body was worn out at the TCC bore after all that work. I have the parts to fix the issue but no desire to tear back into the trans.

1998 Camaro Z28 - Bright Red, 6.0 TR224, 4l60e, 3.42 Eaton TrueTrac
          1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes
          1955 Bel Air 2 Door Post - 357 TPI, Muncie M20, 4 wheel disc

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by hoogiesngrinderz View Post
            but I recommend having it done and get a written warranty.
            Warranty would definitely be important. I feel the same way about it though - I'm sure I could rebuild an auto trans - but I really lack the time. And if I do it, and it fails...I'm on the hook to do it all again.

Pretty sure I'll go the route of having someone build my 4T45E, and warranty the work, than do it myself.
            Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

getting too old for swapping transmissions. After I did my last one I swore I'd never do it again. Now if I had a hoist and trans jack, yeah, maybe. but I don't so, outsourced.
              When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Whoever does it, ask that they use a NEW reverse drum and a wide 2/4 band, preferably non kevlar like an Alto Red carbon. Not a fan of the Z Pak clutches either, I would use Borq Warner Hi-Energy

1998 Camaro Z28 - Bright Red, 6.0 TR224, 4l60e, 3.42 Eaton TrueTrac
                1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes
                1955 Bel Air 2 Door Post - 357 TPI, Muncie M20, 4 wheel disc

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by hoogiesngrinderz View Post
                  Whoever does it, ask that they use a NEW reverse drum and a wide 2/4 band, preferably non kevlar like an Alto Red carbon. Not a fan of the Z Pak clutches either, I would use Borq Warner Hi-Energy

^Agreed. Also make sure they replace all of the electronics (That's why I rebuilt mine twice). And any good builder should replace the sun shell with at minimum the beast sun shell but the sonnax smart shell is preferred. My first rebuild had a z-pak in the 34 but I am now running the BW High Energy.

I can help with a component list if you'd like. I've learned a decent amount in the past 6 months.

Comment

Hmm...lots of good tips here. Guess I'd better subscribe for future reference.
                    DynoDave
                    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Originally posted by DynoDave View Post
                      Hmm...lots of good tips here. Guess I'd better subscribe for future reference.

Dave, below is a link to my rebuild thread that has most of the info I learned and outlines both of my rebuilds. There is a lot to read but a bunch of really good info.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-...ld-thread.html

-Vinnie

Comment

Thanks Vinnie. I'll check it out.
                        DynoDave
                        POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Working...
                        X