X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dacco Converters - Floaty Quick death

I am on a quest to find a good stock replacement torque converter.
    It seems there are many re-manufacturing companies out there, but all have mixed reviews.

I just purchased a Dacco converter from Advance Auto, and was lucky enough to catch a major issue with it before putting it on my transmission.
    Upon inspection, they painted around an original label on the converter. When I opened it up, I found metal floaty debris and dark trans fluid. One of the metal debris balls fell out of the converter and rolled somewhere in the kitchen. I need to find it. So - that POS is going back. I'd advise against using DACCO brand converters.

I'm hearing Alliance and Precision are better, but some folks had problems with them too.
    Any word on who a good supplier would be for a STOCK converter?

Any help appreciated

Precision. Call Richard @ Detroit Transmision. He'll give you the 30 min tour. Very knowledgeable.

Comment

I bought a Roadrunner converter to put in my 98Z but had a little incident with a ditch before I could put it in.

They do everything from cut/clean OEM to restalled OEM to billet/balloon plated/etc. I couldn't find any bad reviews, just a quite a few people saying they used them in their transmission shops with no problems. Might be worth your time to take a look http://www.roadrunnerconverters.com/

1998 Camaro Z28 - Bright Red, 6.0 TR224, 4l60e, 3.42 Eaton TrueTrac
      1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes
      1955 Bel Air 2 Door Post - 357 TPI, Muncie M20, 4 wheel disc

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Daily Driver

Comment

why stock? even a small "stall" makes a huge difference....my favorite mod so far.

Comment

I'll have a stock converter spare here soon... About to put in a 3200 stall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by zeeman View Post
            Precision. Call Richard @ Detroit Transmision. He'll give you the 30 min tour. Very knowledgeable.
            I'm not from the area. I did a Google Search and didn't come up with a business called "Detroit Transmission". Does it have a different name?

Comment

Originally posted by pnyklr View Post
              why stock? even a small "stall" makes a huge difference....my favorite mod so far.
              Daily Driver Grocery GettR. Don't want to deal with programming, etc for this particular car.

Comment

[MENTION=3142]Detroit Gearbox[/MENTION]

1998 Camaro Z28 - Bright Red, 6.0 TR224, 4l60e, 3.42 Eaton TrueTrac
                1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes
                1955 Bel Air 2 Door Post - 357 TPI, Muncie M20, 4 wheel disc

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by TrickyTransAm View Post
                  I'm not from the area. I did a Google Search and didn't come up with a business called "Detroit Transmission". Does it have a different name?
                  Detroit Gearbox is the name of the place. Also goes by Bewick Transmission I think? Either way, Rich is far and away the most professional trans guy I've encountered in the area. No one else I'd go to.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X