X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with a t-56 swap in a 93 z28

So I'm wanting to swap from an auto to a T-56 I have a complete parts vehicle to take the transmission and everything I need. I know most of what I need. Like the transmission, flywheel, clutch, pedals, cross member sslave and plumbing. But what else? And what do I do about the wiring from auto to manual. I don't want to swap harnesses because I don't want to run the newer ecm and maf. I like the fact that my car is a 1993 and is speed density.

Any help is appreciated. I know my way around these cars very well. Also if anyone has done this swap can you post pics?
    sigpic
    1993 z28 SS conversion. Fresh stroker engine (not disclosing Cid just yet) stg 3 700r4 3500 stall being lowered 2in, 4:10 rear,2 point frame connectors. Tubular rear control arms with LCARB, and much more

[MENTION=1504]mcalus[/MENTION]

I'm pretty sure his Camaro is a 93 and he did the swap.

1998 Camaro Z28 - Bright Red, 6.0 TR224, 4l60e, 3.42 Eaton TrueTrac
    1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes
    1955 Bel Air 2 Door Post - 357 TPI, Muncie M20, 4 wheel disc

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Daily Driver

Comment

I flipped thru his thread but couldn't find a complete list of what I needed. If he could chime in that'd be great
      sigpic
      1993 z28 SS conversion. Fresh stroker engine (not disclosing Cid just yet) stg 3 700r4 3500 stall being lowered 2in, 4:10 rear,2 point frame connectors. Tubular rear control arms with LCARB, and much more

Comment

I used this write up.

http://www.afrashteh.com/tranny_pics/T56.htm
        2002 Z28 Camaro A4
        1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
        1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
        2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
        -- MCALUS MOLDED PILLAR PODS, PM ME FOR MORE INFO--
        sigpic

Comment

[MENTION=1504]mcalus[/MENTION] how hard was the swap in general? And how long did it take you to remove the auto and get your car back down on all 4 and driving again? And what did you do about the tune? And can our cars speedo be tuned for corrections or do I need to get a converter box?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blackzee28 View Post
            [MENTION=1504]mcalus[/MENTION] how hard was the swap in general? And how long did it take you to remove the auto and get your car back down on all 4 and driving again? And what did you do about the tune? And can our cars speedo be tuned for corrections or do I need to get a converter box?
            I did it in a weekend. I definitely recommend using a hoist.
            I had it tuned for a 6 speed and that took care of my speedo. You don't need the box. Only need the box for gear changes for the auto.

You'll need new bolts for the flywheel. The ones that hold the flex plate for the auto aren't long enough. Other than that just make sure you have absolutely everything you need or it'll take much longer than a weekend.
            2002 Z28 Camaro A4
            1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
            1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
            2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
            sigpic

Comment

Alright. Only thing I wish was I was getting this trans from a 1993 the first gear ratio is much better then the 94+

Got a new video of my car. I heard you lose %30 of the power thru an auto and %15 from a manual. Wondering if those numbers are accurate or not.

sigpic

Comment

And I guess I need to find a friend with a hoist lol. But are the flywheel bolts reusable? I have those from the other car still.
                sigpic

Comment

Whether or not the difference in first gear ratios are better/worse depends entirely on your setup. I have a 95 and i wouldnt want the 93 version... First is already nothing but tire spin for me the way it is, a shorter gear would be worse.

Flywheel bolts are reusable and a post style transjack is a HUGE help for the job. Like almost worth the purchase for a one-time use helpful.
                  -Joel
                  1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
                  1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

Mine is from a 97 if I recall correctly. Every bit of 1st gear is useless with my street tires.

Also buy your master cylinder complete from rockauto. It was around 130 shipped but you don't have to bleed it so that's one less headache.
                    2002 Z28 Camaro A4
                    1993 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                    1999 Z28 Camaro M6- SOLD
                    2008 Ford Fusion SE - DD
                    sigpic

Comment

Is there anyway I can remove this one and not have to bleed anything? Ithe car is still %100 together and still drive able even. This one is coming out of a 95
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X