X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleeding LT1 clutch?

Wondering if anyone knows a procedure. Ive been googling for about an hour and all i find are methods to "burp" the system. Air bubbles aren't my problem I want new fluid because its 23 years old, possibly been boiled and the pedal feel is awful. hoping i dont have to buy an entire new assembly because of GM's brilliance... why would you include a bleed screw on T5 slave cylinders but not T56???

my only thought at this point is to siphon and refill the reservoir over and over again with periods of driving in between.
    Last edited by JoeliusZ28; May 13th, 2018, 02:29 PM.
    -Joel
    1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
    1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Swap to an LS1, put a remote bleeder on it
    formula218 and MP81 like this.
    1994 Z28 - 2002 M3 - 2015 1.0T Mileage Accumulator

sigpic

Comment

^^This worked for me.
      sigpic
      If you come across a cobra in the wild, wipe it off and apologize.

Comment

Or you could just remove fluid with a syringe/turkey baster and drive it a while and keep repeating until it stays clean.
        When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Originally posted by landstuhltaylor View Post
          Swap to an LS1, put a remote bleeder on it
          Nah, LS hydraulics are a downgrade from LT hydraulics. If anything, I'd get our prototype shop at work to engineer me a bleeder on the existing setup but thats more work than i care to invest at the moment.

Originally posted by farmington View Post
          Or you could just remove fluid with a syringe/turkey baster and drive it a while and keep repeating until it stays clean.
          Thats what im going to do. Just seemed like in the past I had read about methods to bleed these things but apparently its just everyone using incorrect terminology.
          Last edited by JoeliusZ28; May 14th, 2018, 01:01 PM.
          -Joel

Comment

Not sure if any of this helps

Hydraulic Clutch System Bleeding (5-Speed)

Bleeding the hydraulic clutch system is necessary whenever the level of the fluid in the master cylinder reservoir has been allowed to fall so low that air has been drawn into the master cylinder.

Important: IMPORTANT: Never use fluid that you have bled from a system to fill the reservoir. The fluid may be aerated or contaminated.
            1. Fill the clutch master cylinder reservoir with new hydraulic clutch fluid. Use of hydraulic clutch fluid (GM P/N 12345347) or the equivalent is preferred over standard DOT 3 brake fluid.
            2. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Introduction in General Information.
            1. Attach a hose to the bleeder on the clutch actuator and submerge the other end of the hose in a container of hydraulic clutch fluid GM P/N 12345347 or the equivalent.
            2. Depress the clutch pedal slowly and hold.
            3. Loosen the bleeder in order to purge the air.
            4. Tighten the bleeder.
            1. Check and refill the reservoir as needed while bleeding. Make sure that air is not drawn into the system.
            2. Repeat steps 4 thorough 7 until the air is completely purged.
            3. Fill the clutch master cylinder reservoir with new hydraulic clutch fluid. Use of hydraulic clutch fluid (GM P/N 12345347) or the equivalent is preferred over standard DOT 3 brake fluid.

13th!!! Annual Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2017
            June 10th, 2017 - 9am to 3pm!!!
            Bakers of Milford, Milford, MI

Classics only cost alot if you add up what you spend!

sigpic

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
            - Dale Earnhardt -

Comment

Thats a 5 speed, but appreciate the effort
              -Joel

Comment

thought that's what you had,

Hydraulic Clutch System Bleeding (6-Speed)
                Bleeding Procedure

1. Loosen the clutch master cylinder nuts to the end of the threads on the U-bolt.
                1. Clean any dirt and grease from the reservoir cap in order to ensure that no foreign substances will enter the system.
                2. Remove the reservoir cap and the diaphragm.
                3. Wrap a piece of mechanics wire around the left-hand hood strut bracket. Make sure the wire is accessible from underside of the vehicle.
                4. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Section 0A.

Remove the actuator cylinder nuts

Remove the actuator cylinder. Retain the actuator cylinder in the engine compartment. Use the mechanics wire previously installed.

1. Lower the vehicle.
                1. Grasp the actuator cylinder. Depress the hydraulic actuator cylinder pushrod approximately 20.0 mm (0.787 in) into the actuator cylinder bore and hold.
                1. Install the diaphragm and the reservoir cap while holding in the actuator cylinder pushrod.
                2. Release the actuator cylinder pushrod.
                Important: The actuator cylinder should be lower than the master cylinder.

1. Hold the actuator cylinder vertically with the pushrod end facing down.
                1. Press the pushrod into the actuator cylinder bore with short 10.0 mm (0.390 in) strokes.
                2. Inspect the master cylinder reservoir for air bubbles.
                3. Continue pressing the pushrod into the actuator cylinder bore until air bubbles no longer enter the reservoir.
                4. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Section 0A.
                5. Remove the actuator cylinder from the mechanics wire.
                1. Install the actuator cylinder.
                1. Install the actuator cylinder nuts.
                  Tighten
                  Tighten the nuts to 20 Y (15 lb ft).
                Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in General Information.
                1. Lower the vehicle.
                2. Remove the mechanics wire from the left-hand hood strut bracket.
                1. Install the clutch master cylinder nuts.
                  Tighten
                  Tighten the nuts to 27 Y (20 lb ft).
                2. Inspect the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder reservoir. Fill the reservoir with hydraulic clutch fluid GM P/N 12345347 or the equivalent.
                Last edited by TSTONE; May 15th, 2018, 05:39 AM.

13th!!! Annual Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2017
                June 10th, 2017 - 9am to 3pm!!!
                Bakers of Milford, Milford, MI

Classics only cost alot if you add up what you spend!

sigpic

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
                - Dale Earnhardt -

Comment

The problem usually is all of the clutch dust that manages to get into the system. Keep purging the system, then do it every month or so to keep it clean
                  When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Working...
                  X