Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to get door speakers out on a 98-02 'bird, without doing trim damage?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to get door speakers out on a 98-02 'bird, without doing trim damage?

Anyone know the easiest way to get the driver door speaker out on a '98, without doing any damage to the interior trim? (Not the little tweeter, the main full-range speaker.)

My car is totally stock and I want to leave it that way, but I'm pretty sure my driver door speaker is blown . . . need to take it out and check it . . . but I do not want to create any rattle issues by busting any trim clips or anything like that.

I figure many folks on here have done audio mods, someone must know the best way to do this . . . any help would be most appreciated!

P.S. I have the ten-speaker Monsoon system (if it matters.)

P.P.S. What's a good replacement for the factory speaker that's easy to get in to the original mounting?

And thanks again!
    sigpic

Stock 1998 T/A, original owner

17 years and 18,664 miles . . . still lovin' it

Just take the speaker grill out, it snaps in. Push on one side until it starts to bow, then get your finger under it and pop it out.

Edit: I think I may remember the speaker is too big to actually fit out the opening for the speaker grill. If that is the case, then you have to take off the door panel.

1: Remove window and door lock switch by lifting up on the back of it, towards the door panel, and disconnect the wiring
    2: take out small screw behind the door handle, and remove the black door lock slider (it just clips onto the lock rod), disconnect the handle light, and remove that trim panel
    3: Get a fairly large philips screw driver. The are 4 screws holding the door panel on(where the window switch was, in the bottom of the map pocket, and two up underneath the arm rest)
    4: Now lift straight up on the door panel, and it should come right off (there are not any of those "christmas tree" clips on these door panels) but do not take it all the way off
    5: Reach behind the door panel and un-clip the connector for the tweeter

All in all, it should take you about 10 minutes to get access to the speaker. It can then be replaced with any 6.5" round speaker.
    1996 Trans Am WS6 - long term project

Comment

check out Kee Audio for replacements. If I ever get around to replacing my speakers Kee is who I will use

edit: here's a link... http://keeaudio.com/fbodyspeakers.html
      Last edited by 1999Black_Z28; June 6th, 2012, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1999Black_Z28 View Post
        check out Kee Audio for replacements. If I ever get around to replacing my speakers Kee is who I will use

edit: here's a link... http://keeaudio.com/fbodyspeakers.html
        Same here, they use all factory style connectors - no splicing
        2000 Trans Am l 1967 Firebird

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky SOB View Post
          Same here, they use all factory style connectors - no splicing
          sounds like just what I need too. How is their audio quality because I only want to upgrade if it is an improvement- who here has 'em? Most of my music has more focus on mids and highs than kicking bass.. i don't want a big bass bumpin speaker.
          Also if you don't have a monsoon system does it matter or are they all direct replacment.. will it need an amp?

on firebirds it seems they use either
          CDT CL-61i 6.5" Component Speaker System (doors) or
          CDT CL-61.2 6.5" Component Speaker System (doors)

anyone know the difference.
          Last edited by 00firebird; June 6th, 2012, 12:28 PM.
          2000 Firebird A4 black hardtop
          intake/exhaust, fuel/ignition, pcm retune, rims/tires
          ~Phil

Comment

Do a search for "Kee Audio" on LS1tech and you will find several reviews. I think the general consensus is that the quality is much higher than stock (sound and durability).

According to Kee the speakers were selected to work well with the stock Monsoon amps

Comment

What if you don't have monsoon amps? I don't see monsoon anywhere on my car other than the headunit and I don't have the rear hatch speakers on my car either. These are two different systems put into these cars correct?
              2000 Firebird A4 black hardtop
              intake/exhaust, fuel/ignition, pcm retune, rims/tires
              ~Phil

Comment

Jentry, thanks for the great step-by-step directions - it sounds much easier than I was imagining it to be! Should be no prob to replace the speaker.

Phil - you are right, there were two different systems. However if you have Monsoon on the radio head unit, you should have the 10-speaker system, because Monsoon referred to the audio system (not the radio.) It's weird that you don't have the speakers in the trunk, but you have the label. Was you head unit ever replaced?
                sigpic

Stock 1998 T/A, original owner

17 years and 18,664 miles . . . still lovin' it

Comment

Working...
                X