X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Tint Recommendations -- share some example pics

Hey everyone -- I've decided to get some tint done on the windows of the black 2001 SS vert I picked up. What levels of tint are you using, and what do you recommend? Basically, I'm just looking to enhance the appearance a bit, but not go too crazy -- I need good visibility, and I'm not looking to collect any tickets! If you've got pics of your recommended set up, please post 'em up!

"PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals" -- 1977z28Will

I don't have any pics, but I was looking at going with 35% on the side windows of the Cobalt, and then 20% on the rear quarter windows and the back window. Being a white car, tint will stand out more, so I didn't want to go outrageous. I've never gotten around to actually doing that, though.

5% looks great on the back windows, but have fun seeing out at night. 20% would probably be good back there, but since it is a convertible, perhaps 35% all the way around might be best if you still value being able to see when it is dark out.
    Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

I have had my cruze and my previous cruze done by Detail Express in Keego Harbor. Just enough tint to know its tinted don't know what %. Will be bringing the Corvette there to get it done too. FWIW, have never been stopped for the tint on either cruze.
      When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Detail express ftw.

I'm trying to make the same decision on my truck right now. Maybe they have something between 35 and 50 now. 50 is barely noticeable at all while 35 can still be seen through but definitely noticeable. Any darker than that is not easily seen through and will be most likely to get you a ticket. Im on the fence between 50 and 35 for my new truck, i also want to avoid coupons but the truck sits outside and i want to keep the interior nice.
        -Joel
        1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
        1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

Glad to see some others considering lighter tint for better night time visibility. I drive through areas close to home with no street lights, and at night, with no cross traffic, you can't see through the side windows of my mini-van to tell if there's anything in the road...or where the road is. I end up rolling the window down to turn safely.

I hope to have this sort of product applied to the T/A when the time comes, especially for the back glass. The increase in heat rejection is amazing. Lots of info out there about it, but this video, linked from Vanning.com IIRC, is where I first heard of it. A little long, but I thought it was interesting.

DynoDave
          POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

I'm not going to be much help because I'm not sure what level tint I have on the Mecham because it was on there when I bought it, but it's dark. Too dark. I've been pulled over once already because of it.

My plans are to remove it this spring, and if I do anything again it will be the absolute lightest I can do. I think tinted windows look the classiest when done in small amounts, and as a personal preference I like all windows (back & side) being the same level.

West Michigan Pontiac Club

"A Camaro looks like it can kick your a**, a Trans Am is coming over to do it"

Comment

I've yet to do the MKT but on the Expedition it was gradient.

Factory - First row roughly 10, second & opera 35 and third row swing out and rear glass appx 50.

I had them match the 1st row to the second and it all kinda fell together and looked awesome.

13th!!! Annual Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2017
              June 10th, 2017 - 9am to 3pm!!!
              Bakers of Milford, Milford, MI

Classics only cost alot if you add up what you spend!

sigpic

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
              - Dale Earnhardt -

Comment

You had it lighter as it went backwards? That's the opposite of how most do it, interesting...

Comment

I did 20% all around on my 6th gen. Looks good I think.

MP81 likes this.
                  - Brian Meissen
                  Owner, MiFBody.com
                  Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
                  2022 Camaro LT1 - "Cherry Bomb 2"
                  Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2022
                  June 4th, 2022 - 9am to 3pm!!!
                  The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

I've seen cars where they do tint on the windshield too. not a fan of that
                    When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Yeah, can't say I'd ever have the windshield tinted - that's just asking for trouble.

Comment

I have 50% on the windshield of my camaro and will be doing it on my silverado as well. Doesn't really affect the visibility at all and the UV protection saves your dashboard from a LOT of abuse when the car is out in the sun. The majority of people don't even notice its there unless i point it out.
                        -Joel

Comment

This is my camaro with 50% windshield, 20% sides, and 5% hatch. If i was doing it over again id 35% sides and 20% hatch but it would come out looking about the same.

Attached Files
                          -Joel

Comment

Wow, yeah, I guess 50% is light enough not to be real noticible.

Comment

The company I psted the video for has a clear product for the windshield. Still provides lots of UV protection for the interior and rejects heat, but is 100% clear.
                              DynoDave
                              POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Working...
                              X