X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with conversion

anyone around this area metro detroit that has done dash 94-97 conversion i need help on the pins for the cluster not sure how to do that part anyone know what there doing ?

1994 Z28...LT1, A4, Tune up-(2005) w/ MSD 8.5 wires, K&N CAI F2, Hooker exhaust, TB-bypass, clear turning lense's, cat delete/ 3"pipe install, J&M STB,90'degree silicone elbow, Royal Purple oil, MSD-blastercoil, current Miles~[130,000].. hawk pads,performance rotors.url]http://www.myspace.com/camerz2894[/url]

wait..you want to convert your dash to the 98+style? .. OR you have a LT1 style dash that you need to put back on

Comment

I think he is converting from the '93-'96 style dash to the '97-'02 style dash. . . Check with Brian (Meissen), he just did this in his Camaro.
      Nick H.
      Current MIFC Vice President

sigpic

Comment

yup B did it successfully hes the man you want to talk to.. Im sure he will chime in shortly

Comment

Been helping him out every time he calls with questions. I thought the whole thing was pretty straight forward but I think our buddy here is a little overwhelmed with the project.
          - Brian Meissen
          Owner, MiFBody.com
          Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
          2022 Camaro LT1 - "Cherry Bomb 2"
          Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2022
          June 4th, 2022 - 9am to 3pm!!!
          The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

yea cause the overwhelmed part is the cluster the 94 style clip has numbers 1-16 on the front.. the 99 dash sorry had to fix that cluster clip doesnt have numbers on it if i remember correctly there less pins for it as well.. not sure how i could pry all those pins out of the old clip in to the newer clip, im more visual person seeing it done then i can do it.. i had the old dash apart in 20 mins, i had cut the clip off the 99 harness left 4inchs of wire just incase of needing it, but i dont have all the pieces either need different headlight switch and HVac controls but i started it cause i had the time and wanted it in the car not the garage, so thought i could try an make it work
            Last edited by Camaroz2894; September 21st, 2008, 12:16 AM.

1994 Z28...LT1, A4, Tune up-(2005) w/ MSD 8.5 wires, K&N CAI F2, Hooker exhaust, TB-bypass, clear turning lense's, cat delete/ 3"pipe install, J&M STB,90'degree silicone elbow, Royal Purple oil, MSD-blastercoil, current Miles~[130,000].. hawk pads,performance rotors.url]http://www.myspace.com/camerz2894[/url]

Comment

Use the wiring diagram I sent you the link to awhile ago --
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/345879/3

It's pretty straight forward.
              - Brian Meissen
              Owner, MiFBody.com

Comment

ok well i gotta practice getting out the pins out of the 99 clip... so i can do it on the old clip, now i guess looking at the sheet will i just be going C1-C16 in that order and just popping them in the new clip? so for instants c1 is crossed out? why is that ? then the c2 tan would go right in the sec.hole? so if that's how it's done i guess that isnt hard just identifying the wires will be tough in away. now is there gonna be wires left over i should worry about? add a jumper wire going from the headlight switch (brown wire) to the cluster connector (B1 - so a long wire from the headlight + to the last hole b1 on the bottom of the clip, hope that makes sense what i wrote, and what did you do to get the pins out of the clip?

Comment

Well no, you gotta follow the diagram. On the left side is the '93-'96 equivalent and then on the right side is the 97+ equivalent. So the one you'll connect is what is in C2 on your '94 harness into B16 on the 97+ harness. You can use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull it out and put it into the new harness but you'll need to be extra careful doing it and make sure the pins really fit good into the 97+ harness. We had to epoxy the pins in place when we were all done because they were loose and didn't fully make contact.

Really, you can do it two ways. You can either follow the chart the way it's laid out, or you can search for A1 on the right side and then yank it out of the 93-96 harness where it says it's located on the left side, and then plug it into A1. So for example, A1 on the 97+ harness is a pink wire in D7 on the 93-96 harness. Yank it out of D7 then plug it into A1. Then move to A2, purple wire from D2. etc. Advantage of doing it this way is that you'd be going in a straight line on the new harness instead of jumping all around.
                  - Brian Meissen
                  Owner, MiFBody.com

Comment

Too bad you aren't doing this swap this winter once I graduate. I am an ace at wiring and I've always wanted to try a 97+ dash swap. I was thinking about doing it on the gf's car but then decided against it because most likely when she gets a new car it will be turned into my project car to put a big motor in with some fat ass tires!

1999 Pontiac Trans Am - LS1 - M6 - ITSSLOW - 12.998@109.59 - SOLD
                    1994 Chevrolet Camaro
                    - 3.4L - M5 - ITSSLWR - 16.558@85.38
                    2003 Chevrolet Blazer
                    2005 Yamaha R6
                    2001 Yamaha YZ426F

Comment

ok... brian heres another thing that i need to clear up.. on the sheet the guy wrote has for the 97 clip A17 reading left to right to A1, now on my 99clip it showing me letters and numbers upside down going A1- A17 left to right... via same as for B1-B17, another thing i wanna point out is on my clip right now that i cut the wires from 99 harness it show me A1 pink but it's not in the A1 number slot it's 2 to the left..? so how should i rewire it with the numbers and letter upside down and why wouldnt A1 pink be in the A1 slot on the 99 harness ? or is it there's more wires for the 93-96 harness to plug into the 99 clip

with this if i unbolt all these and take the whole piece out to the firewall, all i have is the newer airducts, so where would the fuse box bolt to? if no support there
                      here is the clip show from the sheet and again the blue shows how looks from the 99 clip that i own
                      Last edited by Camaroz2894; September 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM.

Comment

I think the pictures in the wiring diagram are with the plug facing you and the wires going away from you -- like if you were to unplug the harness you took the picture of and then look at the bottom part that goes INTO the gauge then you'd have the numbers aligned correctly. All I know is that I followed what the wiring diagram showed me -- I had bought the 97+ gauge plug from the dealership so I didn't have any wires already in it to go off of. I just followed what the wiring diagram said and it all worked.

Your fuse box will bolt to the 97+ dash, not the air ducts.
                        - Brian Meissen
                        Owner, MiFBody.com

Comment

Working...
                        X