X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS1 swap into the IROC underway

Well, I'm a little late in starting this thread on my LS1/T56 swap into the IROC-Z. I almost have all the parts I need to complete the swap now...just a few minor parts to yet acquire. Anyways....I'll start off by posting up a pic of the old Gen I SBC that I had in the car. This was a motor I put together a few years ago. The TPI intake was a one of a kind unit that I was quite proud of. This motor made great torque and had no problems getting the car all kinds of sideways at the drop of a hat.....fortunatley some of you witnessed that first hand...
    sigpic
    Turbo Charged LS1/T56

post up the pics of the new engine and bay man

Comment

Unfortunately, this summer I had a camshaft failure in that motor...I lost 4 lobes on the cam during the summer M&G at Tunnel Park in Holland. So, I figured now was as good of time asany to do an LS1 swap which I have been wanting to do for sometime. After searching for awhile I was able to hunt down a brand new crate motor right here in Grand Rapids. The guy I bought it from originally bought if new from GM for a project he was doing...well he decided it was going to be too much work so there it sat....for 6 years! So we worked out a deal and now it's mine!
      sigpic
      Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Comment

engine bay pics

Comment

nice

Comment

I was going to modify the set of long tube headers I had to fit the LS1, however....As you can see in the second pic, I scored a smoking deal on a set of Hawks stainless headers...too good to pass up. The guy I bought the motor from had already set up a crank trigger systme for this motor...why...not real sure. Anyways, off with that and the hunt for all the front end brackets and acc. begin.....ie....let the nickle and dime-ing begin!

While hunting for those parts I was also trying to find a good T56 for the car. Hindsite...should have kept my old Lt1 T56 and just converted it over for the LS1....would have been quicker and somewhat painless. Anyways, through the help of Justin at Pace Fabrications we found a brand new LS1 T56 from D&D in Detriot....thanks Justin!!! So now I have a brand new engine and trans both with 0 miles
            sigpic
            Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Comment

After getting new conversion motor mounts from Spohn, I was able to sit the motor in the car for the first time.
              Here's a pic of the new mounts, you can see the outline of the original mounts versus the new ones.

Here is the stripped down K-member with new mounts

And here is the motor sitting for the first time

sigpic
              Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Comment

Sweet i can't wait to see more pics

1995 TA Sold. i sure do miss it though.
                1998 Trans Am aka Winter beater

Comment

omg i hate you
                  2011 Cadillac CTS-V sedan black raven 6spd

Comment

After sitting the motor in, I wasn't real comfortable with how close the corners of the oil pan were to the K-member. So I did a little work in this area to give alittle more room.

sigpic
                    Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Comment

I wish I could have some progress pics of an LS1 in my car. Congrats, James, that's going to be even more of a sweet ride when its all said and done.
                      - Brian Meissen
                      Owner, MiFBody.com
                      Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
                      2022 Camaro LT1 - "Cherry Bomb 2"
                      Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2022
                      June 4th, 2022 - 9am to 3pm!!!
                      The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

Lookin' Good James!! All the work will be worth it in the end, plus the satisfaction of no miles on an engine and tranny will help you sleep at night.

Greg
                        Last edited by WMCC SSLS1; December 19th, 2006, 09:32 PM.

Link to Car Pics!

1998 Black Camaro SS
                        2003 Red Silverado SS
                        2001 NBM Camaro SS

Comment

I would take one of those if you paid me...

Comment

all the front acc. bolted on. Nope, I am not running an A/C system on the car...at least not for now. Maybe in the future I will put one on, but I will have to notch the K-member on the passenger side to fit the compressor.

Not sure yet what I will do about the FRC's.....I know I will be running a set to cover up that ugly ass mess on the VC's....Not a big priority right now...I'll just use the Corvette ones for the time being.
                            sigpic
                            Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Comment

Here's a pic of the engine bay after I finished up the K-member and also after I stripped everything out of the bay and repainted it all. Sorry the white kinda gets washed out in the flash....best I could do.
                              sigpic
                              Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Comment

Working...
                              X