Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huron Speed Turbo Kit car makes over 600rwhp without breaking a sweat!

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can also pick up a little safety margin by lowering your compression (i.e. 317 heads) to run more boost.

I do not agree that stock rod bolts need to be upgraded for boost (more power). More power pushes harder on the connecting rods during the power stroke but the bolts don't see any of this additional force. Bolts are stressed when the pistion is traveling upwards and gets yanked back down after TDC. RPM kills rod bolts, not power.

If you raise the stock limiter past a certain point you will want upgraded rod bolts regardless of FI or NA. There are many arguments at which RPM you need rod bolts but most people agree you are safe to 6500 although many people spin them much higher.

If the tune is right you will bend rods before breaking rod bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by 1999Black_Z28 View Post
      You can also pick up a little safety margin by lowering your compression (i.e. 317 heads) to run more boost.

I do not agree that stock rod bolts need to be upgraded for boost (more power). More power pushes harder on the connecting rods during the power stroke but the bolts don't see any of this additional force. Bolts are stressed when the pistion is traveling upwards and gets yanked back down after TDC. RPM kills rod bolts, not power.

If you raise the stock limiter past a certain point you will want upgraded rod bolts regardless of FI or NA. There are many arguments at which RPM you need rod bolts but most people agree you are safe to 6500 although many people spin them much higher.

If the tune is right you will bend rods before breaking rod bolts.
      They fail at rpm due to mass - the faster it's moving the more mass. Also don't forget the cylinder pressure in a forced inducted engine is greater than a n/a engine - that can contribute the rod bolts failing as well.

But in all reality when was the last time you saw a rod bolt fail in a LS1 - the early one's did spit them, but I think this is more of an internet stigmata than reality.

Mine has seen well over 200 passes @ 6800rpm+ and counting.
      Last edited by Nocooler; April 15th, 2013, 11:25 AM.
      2000 Formula
      fixed slow junk

Comment

600rwhp NA ftw.

I do want a turbo though

Comment

Originally posted by Nocooler View Post
          They fail at rpm due to mass - the faster it's moving the more mass. Also don't forget the cylinder pressure in a forced inducted engine is great than a n/a engine - that can contribute the rod bolts failing as well.
          And the mass creates inertia (function of mass and acceleration). Seems that the increase in cylinder pressure from FI would help the rod bolts if anything. The pressure pushes the connecting rod harder against the crank saving the bolts
          Last edited by 1999Black_Z28; April 15th, 2013, 11:30 AM.

Comment

My understanding is the extra cylinder pressure can cause the crank to flex which in turn can create additional load on the bearings/bolts.

I could be wrong too

We all know the ringlands will lift and then everything is f*cked after that
            2000 Formula
            fixed slow junk

Comment

Originally posted by Nocooler View Post
              We all know the ringlands will lift and then everything is f*cked after that
              Agreed! My only point was that I wouldn't worry too much about the rod bolts as long as you keep the rpm's at a reasonable level. Other parts (ringlans, rods, etc) will break first on a "stock" engine.

Comment

Originally posted by 1BADAIR View Post
                600rwhp NA ftw.

I do want a turbo though
                That is STOUT.
                Doing less with more

Comment

Re: Huron Speed Turbo Kit car makes over 600rwhp without breaking a sweat!

I agree with everything here. I just didnt want to leave this open ended for someone new to read and learn from. I agree with rpm vs. Rod bolts. Being a fail point for rod bolt. And i agree with the limitation of the rods them selves. Sorry to push this into depth. But i like to see people who read these threads get valueble info from them.

Bottom line is if you have a good tune and a well out together fuel system theres no reason why one couldnt see 600whp with these engine. alot of people pick the biggest turbo they can which generaly requires more rpms and then it gets iffy.

Great discussion guys.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by 1BADAIR View Post
                    600rwhp NA ftw.

I do want a turbo though
                    Does anybody even run NA anymore.
                    sigpic
                    Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Comment

Originally posted by WMCCjames View Post
                      Does anybody even run NA anymore.
                      Not when Huron Speed can get you boosted for the price of a heads/cam set-up
                      sigpic

98' Trans Am - Huron Speed Turbo Car

Comment

Working...
                      X