X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by my95z28 View Post
    okay, so quick complete nexb question. Isn't the highest level of mp possible best? Cause I was looking at getting a new camera for christmas and selected a camera with 12.1mp almost solely based on that.
    In addition to everything Nick said it also has to do with what you plan to do with the camera. If the largest print you will ever do is an 8x10, then you don't need a 12MP camera. For the same money you can likely get a camera with slightly less MP but more features.
    BUT .... more is always better.
    '73 Z28 388 Stroker, M22 Rockcrusher 4 speed
    WMCC Photographer and owner of Redline Photography
    You are only young once but you can be immature your whole life!!!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 93formulalt1
      Another couple of suggestions for taking great Pictures. . .

Learn to make changes to the camera's programming in the field. If you take some time to experiment with Aperture, Shutter, lighting, and other settings, you can really open up the possibilities.

Night Photography-Using natural lighting can give you some excellent results, but artificial lighting is more easily controlled. If you take a look at the pictures I posted in the above post, you can see where using mixed types of lighting can become a problem. The lighting in the parking lot is a different "temperature" than the lighting from the various neon and flourescent signs. The white balance of the photos are off because of this, and the foreground looks more yellow. Had I properly adjusted the white balance on the camera and/or used additional lighting on the foreground, my car would have looked much brighter, less yellow, and the whole photo would have looked much better.

The problem that many people encounter is that they either zoom in too far, or they try to center the subject in the frame so it is the only visible object. A good background can really compliment the subject, and a bad background can have an adverse effect.

So, basically, I'm saying that there are many different elements that need to be taken into account. Don't let the subject (in this case, a car) to overpower the picture. Be aware of your surroundings, and use them to your advantage. If you are taking pictures at night, you might consider some form of portable lighting to help bring out the subject. Experiment with settings on the camera, experiment with post-processing or editing software (like PhotoShop), and above all, have fun!
      Nick, while I agree 100% with everything you said, I was trying to keep it as simple as possible for those that just have the "point and shoot" but still want to be able to take a calendar quality pic.
      sigpic

Comment

that is some good info...... the hardest part for me is finding a good background i never seem to run into any.

Comment

^ Agree 100%. Good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by zmanrc View Post
            Nick, while I agree 100% with everything you said, I was trying to keep it as simple as possible for those that just have the "point and shoot" but still want to be able to take a calendar quality pic.
            Understood. I don't want to clutter your thread then, if anyone is interested in some more suggestions, more advanced techniques, or information regarding more complicated photographic equipment, feel free to PM me.
            Nick H.
            Current MIFC Vice President

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by white96TA View Post
              that is some good info...... the hardest part for me is finding a good background i never seem to run into any.
              The background is critical to getting a quality photo. (Mainly the absence of clutter. ie; light poles, garbage cans, power lines, etc) and if you are serious about getting a good photo, you'll have to search out a place. You normally don't just "run into" any great spots, they have to be sought out. You may have to drive 30-40 miles to find the right spot, but it's worth it in the end.
              RIP Doug,You will always be remembered
              3/3/53 ~ 12/22/10

Western Michigan Camaro Club - President
              2002 Hot Rod Magazine Ltd. Ed. by Berger
              1985 Camaro IROC-Z
              1974 Camaro Type LT / Z28
              2002 Trail Blazer LTZ
              2003 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor

1996 Camaro SS (Sold )

www.wmcamaro.org

Comment

I have a Mini-SLR that is only 5 megapixel and the ONLY thing I use the 5mp setting for is trying to take nice pictures like this. Otherwise, when im "just taking pictures" Ive never needed anything more than 2 megapixel.

I blew up a 4 megapixel image to poster size before and it looked great. I think anything more than 8 megapixel is rediculous, they just keep upping it because people think more is better.
                -Joel
                1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
                1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

I'm not a Pro Photographer by any means, but what do you think of this shot ? I just would like the opinion of a pro to help me in the future

sigpic

Comment

Personally - I've always thought the tire should be turned the opposite direction - hard to explain, but if you were to put a piece of cardboard across the surface of the rim, it was always my thoughts that having the cardboard's surface flat facing you was always the best. While others might disagree, I think that our 2009 calendar winners speak volumes -
                    all of the vehicles that got the most votes to be placed into the calendar either had their tires pointed straight ahead or they were angled so the "flat surface" was facing them. http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...55&postcount=1

That would be my biggest tip.
                    - Brian Meissen
                    Owner, MiFBody.com
                    Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
                    2022 Camaro LT1 - "Cherry Bomb 2"
                    Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2022
                    June 4th, 2022 - 9am to 3pm!!!
                    The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

Overall it's a nice pic but if you are looking for tips I'll throw out a couple.
                      As Brian said turn the front wheels to face the photographer a bit.
                      The pic appears to be taken in the evening light. If you turned the whole car a bit towards the photographer I think the natural light on the side of the car would be much more even. That would still leave shadow on the front of the car so force your flash on to light the front up and even out the other lighting.
                      Black and white cars tend to blend with the backgrounds. So it helps have a contrasting color background. Trees, lakes and cool building, work well. Brightly colors cars are somewhat more forgiving when it comes to backgrounds.
                      JMHO
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X