Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid VATS!!!! My car got a nice ride today and felt like a total QUEEN! Big thanks to my buddy Brian for helping, I really owe ya.

Anyone know a step by step bypass for vats on a 3rd gen. I found the threads on TGO with some help from Jon however I just want to scream ENGLISH please to these people!
    Last edited by Darren; August 21st, 2012, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• Did it crank over but not fire?

1998 Camaro Z28 - Bright Red, 6.0 TR224, 4l60e, 3.42 Eaton TrueTrac
      1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes
      1955 Bel Air 2 Door Post - 357 TPI, Muncie M20, 4 wheel disc

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Daily Driver

Comment

• Originally posted by hoogiesngrinderz View Post
        Did it crank over but not fire?
        nope, wont do a damn thing, no crank, no click, no fuel pump prime, nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darren View Post

Stupid VATS!!!! My car got a nice ride today and felt like a total QUEEN! Big thanks to my buddy Brian for helping, I really owe ya.

Anyone know a step by step bypass for vats on a 3rd gen. I found the threads on TGO with some help from Jon however I just want to scream ENGLISH please to these people!
          This seems pretty useful:

http://www.thirdgen.org/vats
          Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/how-byp...ur-vats-61262/

This really work? Link Craig posted in Nate's thread a while back.

Comment

• We used the resistor mod on my car. We needed to do it for remote start to be able to work.
              - Brian Meissen
              Owner, MiFBody.com
              Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
              2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - "Zooma"
              Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2020
              June 6th, 2020 - 8am to 3pm!!!
              The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

• Originally posted by meissen View Post
                We used the resistor mod on my car. We needed to do it for remote start to be able to work.
                So you used the way the link shows that I posted from LS1?

Comment

• +1 for resistor mod
                  91 Trans am, 305, Lt1 cam, 24lb injectors, headers, SLP LM2, SW chassis, massive panhard, lowered, modded TPI, Tuned, 4.10s, Lincoln locked
                  85 Z28 406/th400?/3.42 4th gen disc rear/4th gen dash
                  00 Tahoe Z71........Stock
                  97 K1500 lt4 cam, 1.6s, MPFI, Solid axled, IROKs,------winter beater

Comment

• Originally posted by Darren View Post
                    So you used the way the link shows that I posted from LS1?
                    Yeah. The resistor fools the VATS into thinking the key is inserted in the ignition so the remote start could start the car. The downer is that now anyone could theoretically jimmy the lock cylinder and if they got it to turn, the VATS would still see the proper resistance because of the resistor and it'd start.

Be mindful of this post, though - http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/how-byp...62/#post970437 since you're doing this as a fix to a problem, it's worth checking that post and making sure that part isn't your problem.
                    - Brian Meissen
                    Owner, MiFBody.com
                    Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
                    2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - "Zooma"
                    Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2020
                    June 6th, 2020 - 8am to 3pm!!!
                    The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

• Originally posted by meissen View Post
                      Yeah. The resistor fools the VATS into thinking the key is inserted in the ignition so the remote start could start the car. The downer is that now anyone could theoretically jimmy the lock cylinder and if they got it to turn, the VATS would still see the proper resistance because of the resistor and it'd start.

Be mindful of this post, though - http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/how-byp...62/#post970437 since you're doing this as a fix to a problem, it's worth checking that post and making sure that part isn't your problem.
                      Yeah I noticed that as well, so I will try that next time I work on the car. Either way sounds like I need to get resistors when we measured my key last night it read 7.3 but I am thinking it should be key #13 and read 7.5... this is all foreign to me.

Comment

• The old vats is pretty stupid lol. I just cut the purple wire and yellow wire and connected them together so they didint go threw the box. And it worked fine. No resistor or anything. It was a 89 Camaro.

Comment

• Originally posted by Curt_irocz View Post
                          The old vats is pretty stupid lol. I just cut the purple wire and yellow wire and connected them together so they didint go threw the box. And it worked fine. No resistor or anything. It was a 89 Camaro.
                          mhm I have read that too, that might be worth a simple quick fix try! Under the steering column?

Comment

• In the driver side kick panel there is a starter relay. Somebody popped the cap off mine and put a zip tie around it to bypass it

1998 Camaro Z28 - Bright Red, 6.0 TR224, 4l60e, 3.42 Eaton TrueTrac
                            1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes
                            1955 Bel Air 2 Door Post - 357 TPI, Muncie M20, 4 wheel disc

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Daily Driver

Comment

• I believe this is happening:

If you get the value of the key then your problem with the VATS is somewhere else after the wiring harness...probably the BCM. The bypass won't work in this situation...

Key on with the connector disconnected I am getting 7.5 ohms at the connector the two little white yellowish wires. Same ohms I am getting off both my keys.

Originally posted by Curt_irocz View Post
                              The old vats is pretty stupid lol. I just cut the purple wire and yellow wire and connected them together so they didint go threw the box. And it worked fine. No resistor or anything. It was a 89 Camaro.
                              There is no vats box behind the kick panel.

Originally posted by hoogiesngrinderz View Post
                              In the driver side kick panel there is a starter relay. Somebody popped the cap off mine and put a zip tie around it to bypass it
                              There is nothing in the drivers side kick panel...

Any other ideas? I am stumped could it not be vats? Starter like Brian suggested?

Comment

• Just to re confirm:

Key on everything works, lights, radio everything. Go to start the car, no crank, no click, no fuel pump prime (I believe).

Comment

Working...
                                X