X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Scoping Project - bad valve seals

While we're all stuck at home and bored, thinking of better days, thought I could start formulating a plan.

I believe I am in need of valve seals - reason I believe this is when I am at high RPM, and let off the gas, I am burning oil as the engine winds down. Check HERE at the 0:38 mark (look at the driver's side exhaust tip). Never noticed it before the Hooker TD install - cats were probably helping to temper the appearance and smell.

Car is just a cruiser that doesn't see very much use - I've put something like 12k on it in 8 years. Car is a 2000 SS, M6, stock LS1 with performance mods limited to SLP lid, LS6 intake, Blackheart true duals, and a tune. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I believe it was roughly 350hp/350tq when Dr Phil had it on the dyno in the video. I am just shy of 80k miles on it. I am not looking to drop a ton of money, but know any project like this can become a slippery slope.

So, if I am to upgrade the valve seals, I was considering a cam. And if I am going through all that, maybe it makes sense just to throw a set of budget-friendly heads, if such a thing exists...something more favorable than the stock LS1 heads but won't break the bank. Then it got me wondering if i need to do anything with the oil pump while I am in there.

Any recommendations on what you'd do? What would you replace, what wouldn't you? Is there a option for heads that's very cost effective but will give decent enough gains?
    Last edited by Atrus; May 21st, 2020, 01:31 PM.
    2000 SS Convertible #1414 - Light Pewter 6 Speed

If you do a cam you will need gaskets, oil pump, timing chain, cam, valve springs and pushrods. Not a fun job with so much of the engine under the cowl.
    When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Yeah, it'd be a pain. I'm going to have to be monkeying around under the cowl for seals too, though.

Comment

I mean...moar power is always good, so...
        Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Scope creep! Same problem I have.

Seals becomes cam, becomes heads, becomes R&R of the engine for ease of access becomes this:

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-7662-c...ong-block.aspx
          DynoDave
          POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Or mine: ball joints became control arms, which added springs, and then springs out back to match...and then swaybars to get free shipping.
            Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

I'm off to pick up a set of heads I don't need. See ya!
              MP81 likes this.
              DynoDave
              POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Hahahahaha, I had the feeling I was in similar company. This isn't my first rodeo and I totally recognize the pending scope creep.

Comment

Working...
                X