X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Scoping Project - bad valve seals

While we're all stuck at home and bored, thinking of better days, thought I could start formulating a plan.

I believe I am in need of valve seals - reason I believe this is when I am at high RPM, and let off the gas, I am burning oil as the engine winds down. Check HERE at the 0:38 mark (look at the driver's side exhaust tip). Never noticed it before the Hooker TD install - cats were probably helping to temper the appearance and smell.

Car is just a cruiser that doesn't see very much use - I've put something like 12k on it in 8 years. Car is a 2000 SS, M6, stock LS1 with performance mods limited to SLP lid, LS6 intake, Blackheart true duals, and a tune. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I believe it was roughly 350hp/350tq when Dr Phil had it on the dyno in the video. I am just shy of 80k miles on it. I am not looking to drop a ton of money, but know any project like this can become a slippery slope.

So, if I am to upgrade the valve seals, I was considering a cam. And if I am going through all that, maybe it makes sense just to throw a set of budget-friendly heads, if such a thing exists...something more favorable than the stock LS1 heads but won't break the bank. Then it got me wondering if i need to do anything with the oil pump while I am in there.

Any recommendations on what you'd do? What would you replace, what wouldn't you? Is there a option for heads that's very cost effective but will give decent enough gains?
    Last edited by Atrus; May 21st, 2020, 01:31 PM.
    sidb913 likes this.
    2000 SS Convertible #1414 - Light Pewter 6 Speed

If you do a cam you will need gaskets, oil pump, timing chain, cam, valve springs and pushrods. Not a fun job with so much of the engine under the cowl.
    When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Yeah, it'd be a pain. I'm going to have to be monkeying around under the cowl for seals too, though.

Comment

I mean...moar power is always good, so...
        Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Scope creep! Same problem I have.

Seals becomes cam, becomes heads, becomes R&R of the engine for ease of access becomes this:

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-7662-c...ong-block.aspx
          DynoDave
          POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Or mine: ball joints became control arms, which added springs, and then springs out back to match...and then swaybars to get free shipping.
            Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

I'm off to pick up a set of heads I don't need. See ya!
              MP81 likes this.
              DynoDave
              POCI # 72200

Comment

Hahahahaha, I had the feeling I was in similar company. This isn't my first rodeo and I totally recognize the pending scope creep.

Comment

Circling back to this, 2 years later - it's been a busy two years, but I have more free time now. I'd really like to get this fixed before the driving season hits.

Anyway, still not 100% sure which way I'll go, but for the sake of argument, let's say I keep the stock cam. Here's my plan, and associated questions...anyone have any input?

- Upgrade the rockers - not sure if I would get these @ $209 as they are ready to go, or if I save $100 by installing them in the stock rockers myself.
                  - Is this a good idea to upgrade? Anyone experienced a failure on the stock arms?
                  - Is this the place to go, or would you avoid this company? If there's somewhere else you'd recommend, I am all ears.

- Spring compressor tool - As I'd be doing this on the car, I was thinking of this guy from Amazon, or the BTR tool from MIchigan Motorsports (or elsewhere) - any experience? Are these all basically the same, or is one the tried-and-true?

- Springs and seals....since I am already changing seals, just seems like I may as well change springs. I was thinking of just going with LS6 springs, but then I saw something about blue vs yellow, etc. Is there a better spring you'd recommend, or would you go with the LS6 springs?

Comment

The link to the rockers is not working for me. If this is the trunnion bearing upgrade, and it's only $100 for them to do it Vs the cost of buying the parts and doing it yourself, I'd spend the $100.

I don't know that I have a preference between the two tools you have linked, but I do like that both of them press down from the top, and don't clamp / hook onto the sides.

Springs....if you are changing the cam, it's essential. If not, I wouldn't mess with them unless you have very high miles on the engine, or lots of racing hours.

DynoDave
                    POCI # 72200

Comment

Originally posted by DynoDave View Post
                      The link to the rockers is not working for me. If this is the trunnion bearing upgrade, and it's only $100 for them to do it Vs the cost of buying the parts and doing it yourself, I'd spend the $100.

I don't know that I have a preference between the two tools you have linked, but I do like that both of them press down from the top, and don't clamp / hook onto the sides.

Springs....if you are changing the cam, it's essential. If not, I wouldn't mess with them unless you have very high miles on the engine, or lots of racing hours.

Thanks, Dave -

Yup, these are the trunnion upgrade. Michigan Motorsports has them for $208, ready to bolt on. Does anyone have any experience with MM? Decent company? Is he a member?

Springs, I am thinking I am not going to upgrade the cam...my thought was that these springs are going on 24 years old. Still has just shy of 80k on it, I think. I'd have to check where I ended last summer. I just figured for the <$100, it may be a good idea to do. You thinking what I have is fine?

I do tend to wind it out quite a bit while driving, so they have been used a bit. Bought the car with 63k on in in June 2012, and just shy of 80k now I believe.

Comment

Link to rockers ready for installation: LS1 Rocker Arm with upgraded Trunions (michiganmotorsports.com)

Comment

I do not know this vendor myself. Anyone?

For $100, and with some age/miles on them, I don't think anyone would call you crazy for throwing a new set in.

Springs coming from the same vendor? There's an LS family spring that has been recommended to me for my car (I can never remember which one). If they have them that cheap (and they are U.S. made), I think I'd have to go ahead and grab a set of those myself (after verifying they are what I need).
                          DynoDave
                          POCI # 72200

Comment

I don't think MM has the OE springs. I was just seeing costs like this: Chevy 19420455 [12499224]: Beehive-Style Valve Spring Set | GM LS2/LS3/LS6 | 1.250 in. @ 295 lbs. Pressure | 1.800 in. Installed Height @ 90 lbs. Pressure | .550 in. Max Lift | Set of 16 - JEGS High Performance

Comment

Nice. I like dealing with Jegs. I hit them up in chat and asked where they are made. They could not say for sure, as they don't track that. He said he went to a couple of other sites that DO list their origin, and those places say made in the USA. I may have to verify that, but that's sure strikes me as a good deal.
                              DynoDave
                              POCI # 72200

Comment

Working...
                              X