X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Old Guys

Does this look like a factory stamping to you? Allegedly this is a 1967 400 HO. But I'm concerned that the numbers not being aligned is a red flag. The shape of the "7" also doesn't look like others I've found online.

Thoughts?

2000 Trans Am l 1967 Firebird

sigpic

Hey Old Guys

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance....p/blockID.html

This site has a good rundown of how to cross check the engine code with the year as that WS code was used multiple years. Wallaceracing.com has a Pontiac block listing too for reference. Also, I google images search "Pontiac block codes" to see what the numbers looked like and it does look like they are occasional out of alignment pretty bad. I don't know what the stamping process was back then though. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by camaro42; April 14th, 2016, 09:53 PM.
    sigpic
    1988 Chevy Camaro- 400 sbc, Ls1 rear 3.23 gears, T5. body work in progress

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if they hand-stamped them back then, which would explain being out of order. Generally if someone were to fake something, it will look too good.
      Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Old guys? OLD GUYS ?? sorry, keep forgetting that I'm old.
        When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

[MENTION=1515]92conv[/MENTION]
          [MENTION=757]TSTONE[/MENTION]
          [MENTION=470]81DaytonaPaceCar[/MENTION]

sigpic

Comment

GM Engine stamps were done by hand well into the 70's and possibly beyond. The stamping on my 68 looks similar. When I was at Dick Morris Chevrolet we had an older Mechanic that still had his stamping set. Which is kind of scary cause technically on older sbc's when you deck the block you can damage or lose the stamping and this would allow you make any block a matching numbers engine.

oh yeah and fock you guys

13th!!! Annual Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2017
            June 10th, 2017 - 9am to 3pm!!!
            Bakers of Milford, Milford, MI

Classics only cost alot if you add up what you spend!

sigpic

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
            - Dale Earnhardt -

Comment

I know a guy who retired from GM some 20 years ago (yeah, guess I am old) and has made a fortune re-stamping Corvette blocks, heads, etc.

So, it happens.

But back on topic, I cannot find 055728 anywhere...what is that thing?
              Originally posted by Redd8407
              I WANT NOISE! SPEED! AN ENGINE THAT SHAKES MY INTERNAL ORGANS LIKE THEY GOT PARKINSON'S! I DONT WANT AN ENGINE THAT IS PARTIALLY POWERED BY MY LAPTOP BATTERY!
              Originally posted by Z28ISGR8
              WHY THE F*CK IS THERE A GOAT ON A FERRARI?
              Originally posted by Darren
              I think it is because I take it in and out all the time, the rubber has just stretched out, especially at the bottom where it is really thin. It annoys me more then anything.

Comment

Supposedly a 67 Pontiac 400 HO for a manual trans GTO. Decided to not pursue it any further.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky SOB View Post
                  Supposedly a 67 Pontiac 400 HO for a manual trans GTO. Decided to not pursue it any further.
                  Hmm, yeah, not sure what that is...that's going to be a tough find there...
                  Originally posted by Redd8407
                  I WANT NOISE! SPEED! AN ENGINE THAT SHAKES MY INTERNAL ORGANS LIKE THEY GOT PARKINSON'S! I DONT WANT AN ENGINE THAT IS PARTIALLY POWERED BY MY LAPTOP BATTERY!
                  Originally posted by Z28ISGR8
                  WHY THE F*CK IS THERE A GOAT ON A FERRARI?
                  Originally posted by Darren
                  I think it is because I take it in and out all the time, the rubber has just stretched out, especially at the bottom where it is really thin. It annoys me more then anything.

Comment

Working...
                  X