X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth it to clean injectors?

With my intake off the car, and the replacement intake on the way, I am wondering if it'd be wise to get the fuel injectors cleaned. The car is a 2000 SS with 75k miles on it. Seems to have been well cared for, but I bought it at a dealer so I don't know any details from the prior 2 owners.

Would it be worth the ~$120 to get them all cleaned, or is it rare they'd have a problem? Any recommendations on where to go? I see Livernois has done them for some folks, and it appears there's a place called "CPR Racing" in Troy that does them.
    2000 SS Convertible #1414 - Light Pewter 6 Speed

personally, as long as you haven't had a problem, why waste the money. saw on tech you found an ls6 intake. congrats
    When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Originally posted by farmington View Post
      personally, as long as you haven't had a problem, why waste the money. saw on tech you found an ls6 intake. congrats
      Thanks! Seller seems to be reputable despite low post count (I dug back into his history)...let's hope it's all legit. It was a great price.

As for the injectors...I guess I don't know if I have a problem. I mean, the car seems to run fine, but for all I know a few of them have gunked up and have terrible spray patterns.

Comment

if you're using good gas, you should be good
        When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

Run seafoam or Lucas Injector cleaner. O'Reilly has Lucas on sale, 2 for 9. One little bottle treats up to a 25 gal tank.
          sigpic
          1997 Camaro Z28 M6 with stuff done to it.

Comment

Seafoam, I haven't had the greatest experience with. It wasn't bad, it just didn't do anything. I have read that the BG44 and Redline SI-1 are good cleaners.

I dragged my ass out to the garage last night and really looked at the injectors and they look damn clean. I know that's not perfect science, but I am thinking they are probably good to go. I may run some in-tank cleaner through a tank sometime this spring.

Comment

I wouldn't bother. If it's not broke don't fix it. As stated above if anything I'd just run a can of seafoam through it, even having injectors full of E85 goo seafoam has always done me good. Half in the tank and half through the intake/vacuum port it what I've always done.
              sigpic
              If you come across a cobra in the wild, wipe it off and apologize.

Comment

Usually i'll carefully pop them out and spray out the screens with a solvent or carb cleaner just to be sure.
                You can also clean them yourself by reverse flushing them using a plastic syringe and actuating the injector with a momentary push button switch and about 5-9v of power ( not 12v).
                Most folks always forget about changing the fuel filter and then wonder why they have fuel pump problems.

Comment

Working...
                X