X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally decided to turbo my 3800 - planning phase

Obviously without actually measuring a bunch of crap you have to make some assumptions with numbers. I tried to be realistic on these so if you see any errors let me know so I can make more adjustments. I am not going to delve into my absurd list of mods right now. While some if it relevant, I want to just concentrate on hard numbers for the time being. Now please realize that I am not looking for an exact HP or 1/4 time. These are just reference points.

Target Crank HP=575
    Engine Displacement=232
    Running on pump gas with hopefully 11.5:1 Air/Fuel ratio
    BSFC=.46 (estimated)
    VE=75% (pretty sure I went low on this)
    Mid Range Estimated RPM=6000 (i used a number where I would be close to top of the TQ band)
    Peak Power Estimated RPM=6500 (I will have to look into cams cause I don't think my current one will push the RPM up this high and still make power)
    I am going with an Air/Air intercooler with an estimated 1 psi drop and with an assumed effectiveness of about 70%.
    Typical barometric pressure in MI of 14-15
    Ambient temp=80 (went with a realistic summer temp on this)

These numbers will net the following

MID RPM:
    Crank HP-531
    Boost Gauge PSI=20 (yes i know i will need a perfect tune)
    Pressure ratio=2.46
    Intake manifold temp=146F
    Corrected airflow=47.96 lb/hr
    Crank TQ=465

MAX RPM:
    Crank HP-576
    Boost Gauge PSI=20 (yes i know i will need a perfect tune)
    Pressure ratio=2.46
    Intake manifold temp=146F
    Corrected airflow=51.95 lb/hr
    Crank TQ=465

Based on that info and looking at the Turbo map i think the best Turbo for this would be GTX3582Rhttps://turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga...arger#GTX3582R

It looks like the efficiency is around 78% and is very close to the island.*

With making super huge assumptions this would put a 3400 lb car at close to 11.1 @ 122mph in the quarter mile.*

I haven't looked into any housings yet so if you have any advice i am all ears. Again for the sake of people trolling the crap out of this thread, realize these numbers are just hard numbers, nothing is set in stone and a lot of this is realistic, but also assumed. I don't need comments on how I should get a V8, I know they are better, I just like the V6.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk
Working...
X