X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT4 hotcam

is anyone here running this cam? Im a long ways off from starting this project, but i want to research it thoroughly while I DONT have the money to do it, so i know what im doing when i get the time and money.

If there is anyone here running one, ive got some questions:

-what your impressions of it are
    -how it compares to stock
    -are you happy with it, and would you have gone bigger if you could do it again?
    -what did you dyno and what are your times if youve done either?
    -did you install it yourself?
    -who tuned your computer and how much?

What attracts me to this kit is that it is a GM part, and it includes everything. Im pretty lost when it comes to all this stuff, but i know enough that I think i can figure out whats what once I actually take something apart and SEE the stuff. I THINK its something i can do myself. I gotta research more about tools and what not. but ive conquered headers and a clutch so far with no problems.

I know the kit is supposed to include everything, but i can already tell im gonna need a new timing set (gears and chain). Im also wondering if there is any way i can beef up the hotcam setup... such as stronger springs? Ive read that LT4 springs are marginal for the hotcam, but i have not found anyone who is running anything stronger.

my goals are as follows:

-crack 12s
    -have an idle that lopes
    -beat bolt on LS1s
    -be reliable... i dont want to spin over 6k. I DONT want to blow my engine. Ive got a healthy numbers matching motor and i want to keep it that way.

current major mods are full exhaust with LTs, no cats, cutout, CAI, spec 3 clutch, gears (still unknown ratio that is higher than 3.42), and SFCs.

am i being realistic?

TIA!!!
    Last edited by JoeliusZ28; September 11th, 2006, 02:36 PM.
    -Joel
    1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
    1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Do you think you want the LT4 Cam??? I think you would be more satisfied with a custom grind cam that will fulfill your expectations and want's, you should definitley be able to crack into the 12's in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Keego Ridah
      Do you think you want the LT4 Cam??? I think you would be more satisfied with a custom grind cam that will fulfill your expectations and want's, you should definitley be able to crack into the 12's in my opinion
      put it this way. I want a cammed car so i can win races, but i dont want to go too big for the following reasons: huge cam --> huge rpms --> broken bottom end. also huge power = broken 10 bolt. My car, albeit very healthy, has 87k on it now and its gonna have more by the time i get around to this.

If i can crack 12s ill be happy.
      -Joel

Comment

You can get custom grind cam that will have good street manners and not break things, ask Matt about his cam, its has a very steady idle and makes a ton of power up top, and it will win you plenty of races

Comment

yeah but LS1's and LT1's make power on the opposite end of the ballpark. i coulda sworn i remember readin in GMHTP they dyno'd a bone stock LT1 SS camaro, and it's max tq was somewhere around 3500ish rpm area...don't hold me to that, but i remember something along those lines
          1998 Camaro SS Bullseye Turbo
          2002 F-250 7.3 Leveled on 20s with 35's
          2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary
          http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...-Update/page11

Comment

Originally posted by Keego Ridah
            You can get custom grind cam that will have good street manners and not break things, ask Matt about his cam, its has a very steady idle and makes a ton of power up top, and it will win you plenty of races
            how much are custom cams though? bang for buck is another reason i am looking at the hotcam. 550 for the kit, plus timing chain/gears, and a tuning.
            -Joel

Comment

Originally posted by SS4Matt
              yeah but LS1's and LT1's make power on the opposite end of the ballpark. i coulda sworn i remember readin in GMHTP they dyno'd a bone stock LT1 SS camaro, and it's max tq was somewhere around 3500ish rpm area...don't hold me to that, but i remember something along those lines
              yea thats about where my car made its peak torque before i did headers. id say its around 4000 now.
              -Joel

Comment

ya but just cause its a huge cam doesnt mean you have to rev it... thats kinda the nice thing about cams... you pretty much pick were you want your power to be... you dont have to run up past 6,000rpm or anything to do it.. the only reason to do that is to have a nice long power band... but you can add a good amount of power and stick right in your stock rev area now... but i wouldnt be all that worried about reving more than 6,000 dont go insane but ive seen a few LT's rev to 7K on a stock rotating assembly and last plenty long...
                Originally posted by Frank The Tank
                Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low.

Comment

Originally posted by wezeles
                  ya but just cause its a huge cam doesnt mean you have to rev it... thats kinda the nice thing about cams... you pretty much pick were you want your power to be... you dont have to run up past 6,000rpm or anything to do it.. the only reason to do that is to have a nice long power band... but you can add a good amount of power and stick right in your stock rev area now... but i wouldnt be all that worried about reving more than 6,000 dont go insane but ive seen a few LT's rev to 7K on a stock rotating assembly and last plenty long...
                  well this is exactly why im curious if anyone here has the setup, or other setups. I dont know of many cammed LT1s around here. I read about them all the time, but i dont know anyone who has one except for one friend here on my campus.
                  -Joel

Comment

well for instance most generic torquer cams... are pretty much a stock cam with more lift thats about all they do.. you wont see a crazy increase in hp... because hp is based on torque X rpm but just that lift with say a little pnp to the heads and maybe the intake will do a nice jump to a stock setup if you dont need to rev really high then tq. is what you should be after anyways... and dont forget you can always advance or retard your cam a few degrees that will move the power band "usually" up or down in the rpm range... im pretty sure the more you advance the more you drop it down in the rpm range like if you advance the cam usually in a SBC setup every degree will shift the power band down 75-100 rpm so if you get a bigger cam say one that peaks at 6,500rpm you can advance the timing say 8-10 degrees and that will make the bigger cam shift its power down were you want it... this is for most cases ive seen some with Crazy durration and Lsa that advancing or retarding it didnt seem to have any effect... but i doubt your gonna go that nuts with it... just keep that in mind too...
                    Originally posted by Frank The Tank
                    Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low.

Comment

If your willing to port the heads and intake manifold along with full bolts on we have a few grinds that will put you in the 350ish range with a stalled automatic unlocked and keep the power under 6200rpm.

Comment

YoshiBear just posted his first post in the forum -- Thread titled "Oy!" -- and he has an LT4 cam.
                        - Brian Meissen
                        Owner, MiFBody.com
                        Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
                        2022 Camaro LT1 - "Cherry Bomb 2"
                        Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2022
                        June 4th, 2022 - 9am to 3pm!!!
                        The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

Originally posted by meissen
                          YoshiBear just posted his first post in the forum -- Thread titled "Oy!" -- and he has an LT4 cam.
                          damn meissen you read my mind! I was just comming here to post this!

Comment

I'm just good like that.
                            - Brian Meissen
                            Owner, MiFBody.com
                            Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
                            2022 Camaro LT1 - "Cherry Bomb 2"
                            Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2022
                            June 4th, 2022 - 9am to 3pm!!!
                            The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

Here's some info on cams. Might be of some help.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...mshaft_basics/

1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula W66
                              350 Small Block Chevy Bored .030 Over (355)

GM Performance Parts Vortec Heads
                              Holley 650cfm Double Pumper
                              Edelbrock Performer-Plus Cam
                              Edelbrock Vortec Performer RPM
                              Hedman Hedders 1-5/8" Long Tubes
                              2-1/2" Exhaust With "H" Pipe & Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers
                              TH350 With B&M Transpak Shift Kit & 2400rpm Stall B&M Tork Master Converter

Comment

Working...
                              X