X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery

Ok I need some help. I've killed one 2 many car batteries from my damned sound system. I need to stop adding more speakers and sh*t. Anyway I was wondering about how people put extra car batteries in their trunk/hatch to have more power for their system? What would I need to do to make this work for me? I need to do this so I stop buying batteries. Anyway any help is greatly appreciated.
    Theres more to life than horsepower, but what kind of life is it?

Have you tried a deep cycle battery like an Optima Yellow top yet? I'm not sure how the dual batteries are set up. I've never had a system big enough to warrant a setup like that.

2003 S10 Blazer 2 door 2wd 4.3 auto lowered 3" daily driver

Comment

First off, do you have a good capacitor that can handle the power? Secondly, do you have an aftermarket HIGH-OUTPUT alternator? If you add a second battery, it's fine and dandy, but if you're still sucking more juice than the alternator can put back into the battery, you're doing no good.
      - Brian Meissen
      Owner, MiFBody.com
      Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
      2022 Camaro LT1 - "Cherry Bomb 2"
      Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2022
      June 4th, 2022 - 9am to 3pm!!!
      The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

yea you'll need to get a high output alternator, and a story about those optimas, my friend has a yellow top in his 86? thunderbird, and his alternator went out but he drove on JUST the battery for a half hour of city driving, so invest in one of those and see how that works out.

Comment

a second battery only works when teh engine is off, if the battery is dieing your alternator is no good, and not charging,get a real high output alternator not a reman beefed up pos that is like a band aid on a broke condom

Comment

A friend of mine has been designing and building competition systems for 15 years. I know his setup I believe has 2 deep cycle marine batteries in the trunk. No special alternator (99 Grand Prix) I don't think and if memory serves he's hit 168 db several times. What I am wondering, is your alternator all together bad? It depends on what you are running of course but I'd still check that.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange Terror
              A friend of mine has been designing and building competition systems for 15 years. I know his setup I believe has 2 deep cycle marine batteries in the trunk. No special alternator (99 Grand Prix) I don't think and if memory serves he's hit 168 db several times. What I am wondering, is your alternator all together bad? It depends on what you are running of course but I'd still check that.
              I was a competitor, and had to run 2 alternators (I had a battery bank but they were for competition only they were disconnected when on the street) the stock alternator in a GP won't handle too much extra (it's not real big)

Comment

Originally posted by archemedes
                I was a competitor, and had to run 2 alternators (I had a battery bank but they were for competition only they were disconnected when on the street) the stock alternator in a GP won't handle too much extra (it's not real big)
                Yeah, he may have an aftermarket one, I can't remember, but I think he ran his all the time, I'll have to ask him.

Comment

Working...
                X