X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v6 to v8 swap 2002 camaro.

Well selling the car is'nt a option for me, I love it tooo much its my first car and owned it since feb 2006. Well Ive been researching on ls1tech and here for what all i need do. I was hopping that you guys can give me more knowledge and insite what to do. Ive read on the post up top that you can use a v6 k-member just move mounts which I'm going to do. What I've read is that you can use the v6 trans just need bell housing, also was wondering about the fuel pump? just planing on ordering a painless computer. I really want know what all do I need for get a ls1 in my camaro.

I might do a cam with ls6 heads and intake not sure about cam.
    sigpic

the easiest way to go is pick up LS1 with trans, engine harness and PCM. then you'll need v8 gauge asm. trans linkage, and throttle cable. You need to check radiator thickness, on LT1 cars v8 radiator is thicker.
    sigpic
    1998 Trans Am Convertible A4 - WS6 hood, WS6 air lid, WS6 rims, drilled/slotted rotors.

Comment

Hey, this sounds like a repeat of "The Family Project." Just check out my build thread below "Nasty Habit" and it should give you all the information you will need for the conversion.

1. Acquire a LS1 k-member. It's a lot easier (plug and play) and you can find one rather reasonable. PM me and I will let you know where to pick up a lot of the parts you will need.
      2. Correct on the trans. Everything except the bellhousing is identical to a LS1 trans.
      3. Definitely need a fuel pump with more output. Drop the tank and do some cleaning while it is out. Also, buy a set complete fuel lines from the tank forward, although I only used a single line forward of the fuel filter for my set-up.
      4. Painless?? I just found a complete engine harness and PCM from a LS1 Camaro/Firebird. (e-bay) Make sure it is 2000, 01 or 02 only.

Larry is correct, you will need a new guage cluster and radiator.

Mike, if you have any questions or want to come down to Clarkston to see my build, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by BlackBirdDaddy; October 26th, 2011, 07:37 PM.
      ------ SOLD ------

>>> NSTYHBT <<<

Comment

Not trying to be rude......

Originally posted by BlackBirdDaddy View Post
        Hey, this sounds like a repeat of "The Family Project." Just check out my build thread below "Nasty Habit" and it should give you all the information you will need for the conversion.

1. Acquire a LS1 k-member. It's a lot easier (plug and play) and you can find one rather reasonable. PM me and I will let you know where to pick up a lot of the parts you will need. Dont even consider a v6 one as an option, buy a v8 one and be done with it.
        2. Correct on the trans. Everything except the bellhousing is identical to a LS1 trans. False, the v6 trans is not built as strongly on the inside, per several trans shops. Has less clutch packs or somthing, every company I talked to said not to use it. Also, mine had the spline count and input shaft for a 3800 front drive converter. Would not work with a ls1 style converter.
        3. Definitely need a fuel pump with more output. Drop the tank and do some cleaning while it is out. Also, buy a set complete fuel lines from the tank forward, although I only used a single line forward of the fuel pump for my set-up. False, the actual fuel pump is exactly the same. And there is no need to run new lines. Buy the corvette fuel filter, it has a built in regulator. Hook your feed line to it, and hook its return to your old return, then connect your output line to the motor to the output on the filter/regulator. You can then remove the 3800 return line from the engine bay back to the filter/regulator.
        4. Painless?? I just found a complete engine harness and PCM from a LS1 Camaro/Firebird. (e-bay) Make sure it is 2000, 01 or 02 only. Agreed, I picked up the correct harness off of ls1 tech for less than $200 bucks. Make sure you get the right one. 98 is an odd ball year, all others should work. Get one without traction control.

Larry is correct, you will need a new guage cluster and radiator. True this is, will need all the hoses INCLUDING the heater box hoses, these are getting hard to find and the stealership will get you for north of $200 for these because there partially prebent metal partially rubber.

Mike, if you have any questions or want to come down to Clarkston to see my build, feel free to PM me.

You will also need the trans cross member, but not the shift cable, they are the same.

Another big item is the engine bay harness, you dont have to switch it out, but you will be kicking yourself in the ass later if you dont. The 3800 uses the pcm for cruise control, where as the ls1 uses the standard gm cruise box, the 3800 engine bay harness(the one with lights, fuse boxes, wipers, etc on it) does not have the harness for this. So you will loose cruise if you dont get it. It can be spliced it, which is what I did, but it took days to figure out and get working correctly. Not at all worth it. Another thing missing from this harness is the power feed wire for the passenger side coils and injectors. It can be run and isnt nearly as hard as the cruise to figure out, but is still kinda a PITA.

You will also need someone with a tech 2 to sync the cluster with the PCM and airbag module or you wont have airbags.

Going to need a gas pedal and throttle cable out of an ls1 car without traction control.

Im sure im missing something, Id did the swap about 4 years ago, and have helped with a few others. Holler if you need help with anything or want to see what something is supposed to look like.
        1999 Camaro - 6 liters of fury.....

Comment

2. Correct on the trans. Everything except the bellhousing is identical to a LS1 trans. False, the v6 trans is not built as strongly on the inside, per several trans shops. Has less clutch packs or somthing, every company I talked to said not to use it. Also, mine had the spline count and input shaft for a 3800 front drive converter. Would not work with a ls1 style converter.
          3. Definitely need a fuel pump with more output. Drop the tank and do some cleaning while it is out. Also, buy a set complete fuel lines from the tank forward, although I only used a single line forward of the fuel pump for my set-up. False, the actual fuel pump is exactly the same. And there is no need to run new lines. Buy the corvette fuel filter, it has a built in regulator. Hook your feed line to it, and hook its return to your old return, then connect your output line to the motor to the output on the filter/regulator. You can then remove the 3800 return line from the engine bay back to the filter/regulator.
          Not wanting to mislead you, here is some clarification on a couple of issues:

2. Spencer is correct on the trans. I had my trans rebuilt by a co-worker at GM Powertrain Engineering who lives and breathes these things every day and he did indeed replace the bellhousing, input shaft and installed v-packs along with going through the rest of the trans. I just called him and he said everything is identical to a LS1 trans except for the items mentioned earlier. So, if you are thinking about getting your trans rebuilt, you could use it.

3. Spencer is correct on the fuel system also, although I'm running a mildly built LS2 and that is why I went to a racetronix fuel pump. I installed it while I had the tank down anyway. Yes, the Vette filter eliminates the need for the return line to the engine bay. It cleans up the installation nicely compare to the two or three lines previous on the 3.8. My line was so trashy looking, I just replaced it.

Hope this helps!
          Last edited by BlackBirdDaddy; October 26th, 2011, 08:04 PM.
          ------ SOLD ------

>>> NSTYHBT <<<

Comment

What are the specs on your motor jim? Curious why your needing more fuel? Not at all doubting or calling you out on any of this, if thats how its coming off I sincerely apologize, just curious. Are you spraying? Is this the motor in your sig?

Comment

FWIW i have a ls1 radiator/fans for sale
              98 z28, m6, monster clutch, eibach pro kit, custom twin turbo setup, 317 heads, z06 valve springs, arp rod bolts, 512rwhp at 10lbs. cobra eater

Comment

Your best bet to to find a donor car. Otherwise you're going to be nickel and dimed on the small stuff. Trust me.

If you can't, I have an LS1 V8 transmission crossmemeber you could have for next to nothing.
                sigpic

1996 Base Model
                +2 cylinder mod

Comment

Thank you guys all you deffently making me feel more confident about doing a ls1 swap. And when I really start getting into the nits and grit I'll deffently pm you Jim and Spencer. I might be getting a racked 2002 t/a for a good price so I might have a donor car. You guys been big help so far. I think the only reason why I really want try keep as much parts as I can off my v6 is cause it just turn 53,000miles today so I know the trans is still great so I'm thinking to take parts off the racked donor car if i get it and keep as much as I can off my car. what you all think?

Off subject today I order the harwood 2.5 cowl hood I'm pumped what you guys think about that hood I cant find a lot of people who dose it.
                  Last edited by Outlaw-53; October 26th, 2011, 11:16 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gaspo View Post
                    FWIW i have a ls1 radiator/fans for sale
                    How much would you want for it? if I dont get donor want start getting my parts together.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jderry View Post
                      Your best bet to to find a donor car. Otherwise you're going to be nickel and dimed on the small stuff. Trust me.

If you can't, I have an LS1 V8 transmission crossmemeber you could have for next to nothing.
                      how much?
                      sigpic

Comment

You cannot use your v6 trans unless its disassembled and some parts are swapped out. If you get a donor car just use that trans. Maybe send it out for a refresh though, and a big stall converter

Comment

If you get doner car it could be a faster swap. Drop v6 & trans out the bottom on its kframe and install v8 & trans with kframe.
                          sigpic
                          1998 Trans Am Convertible A4 - WS6 hood, WS6 air lid, WS6 rims, drilled/slotted rotors.

Comment

Bigger stall shhhh..... got one I was looking at for the 3.8 when I was think to build it up but its just not worth it for the money I can just pay the extra for a v8 and get same power for less and less worrys about it go BOOM!!! For the donor car that was the plan just swap everything over but deffently the motor and trans will be fresh up with some other things
                            Last edited by Outlaw-53; October 27th, 2011, 12:27 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

The donor car I'm looking at has a 6speed what do you guys all think about a stick? I use to race a c1500 with a 5speed so I can drive stick. any thoughts???
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X