X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size for new battery

So my battery recently crapped out(over winter was in the proccess of it before winter) on the Trans Am looking to get a new one this week. However i'm really confused i see they vary alot in size what's the bare minimum i should go?

It depends on how much ya want to spend. I have an Optima battery in the Camaro. It is a Red Top Optima. The 1st year I had it I took it out in the winter and put it in the basement on a trickle charger. In the spring it wouldn't even turn the engine over. Took it back for a new one. Did the same thing the next winter and had the same problem again?
    This winter I did not take it out or charge it at all and no problems. The car started right up?
    Last edited by ezcruisn71; March 3rd, 2010, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ezcruisn71 View Post
      It depend on how much ya want to spend.
      Not more then i have to, cheaper the better i guess i just dont wanna get something too little

Comment

What size engine do ya have? Back when I was in College they said that the CCA (Cold cranking amps) Should be about twice the size of the engine. So 350 CID = 700CCA. That works for a standard engine. If you increase the compression on the engine that formula doesn't always work. You can also go to this web site they have several different batteries for you car. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_Batteries_13559______

Back in the days when I went to College they didn't have many cars with high torque starters on them. Since the 90's quite a few cars have high torque starters that require less amperage to turn them over. I even put a high torque (gear reduction) starter on my old Camaro. So that that formula does not always work that I gave you.
        Last edited by ezcruisn71; March 3rd, 2010, 10:06 AM.

Comment

i got 350 lt1

Comment

I have a gold duralast battery with both side and top cable connections that I bought from Auto Zone for less then $100 with my bad battery as a core. It has more then enough cold cranking amps and so on to start my camaro drive the piss out of it and run my 1800 Watt stereo system. Not bad for $100 battery...

Comment

I have a yellow top Optima and it has lasted for 4 years. It started out in my boat for two years, sold the boat put in my 3rd gen for the summer and now it is in the Eclipse(alll winter now) and have had no problems with it at all.

Comment

ls1 takes a 780cc

Comment

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=42-0

was thinken about this one

Comment

I would go with a cheap battery too. Never seen the pro to getting an expensive battery.
                    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - 6 Speed

Comment

the group size would be 75 series, so any 75 series (size) will work as long as the cca's meet oe spec, autozone will be able to tell you that since i dont know off the top of my head for lt1's.
                      sigpic
                      The LS1 or Go Home Crew

ASE master certified
                      1998 Camarbo z28-going back to stock
                      11.3@121 old heads & cam setup

Comment

When I bought my car years ago(with the v6) it came with an everstart max, 1250 CCA battery, the thing is way to damn big, hardly fits in the tray and last summer rubbed a hole in the little AC line that runs to the condenser. Always starts it though, never put it on a tender or charger over winter, and out of all the cars it gets stored with (2 vettes, a 50s pickup, and my jeep) its the only one that starts right up without any hassle in the spring.

I would say between 700 and 800 CCA. Most importantly just make sure its the right size..
                        1999 Camaro - 6 liters of fury.....

Comment

I had terrible luck with the yellowtop optimas. Went through 3 in a year.. Now run a duralast, 70 bucks vs 170 and no issues..
                          sigpic
                          U.S. Army 1983-2005
                          11.20@122.37 1.51 60'

Originally posted by WMCCjames

"Plans Subject to change upon Sobering up"

Comment

Had bad luck with my Optima Red Top. I'm on my second one in 2 years. I won't buy another one, not for the price.

Comment

I wonder what's happened to Optima's? I read more and more how so many people are having problems with them yet guys who bought them some years back have had no issues at all. Mines's been absolutely rock solid for 5 years, this is the first winter it's been on a battery tender too.
                              sigpic
                              Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Comment

Working...
                              X