Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock radio from a 95 Firebird in a 94 Firebird?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock radio from a 95 Firebird in a 94 Firebird?

I believe this should be a simple question, but since I am unfamiliar with these theft lock radios I will ask the question here.

I picked up a 94 Firebird not to long ago and the previous owner had yanked the radio out.
    I have also recently picked up a 95 Firebird parts car, which happens to have the stock radio.
    Which the previous owner disconnected, but they happened to still have it.

I have no clue if either radio was “disarmed” before removing.

I would like to install the radio from the 95 in my 94 Firebird since I have it and all.
    I was wondering, will doing this cause me issues and if so, what might I do to solve them?

Note sure if this is useful information or not but I happen to have the owners manual that came with the 95, but don’t have the one for the car I plan to put the stereo into.

Thanks
    Currently Owned F-Bodies

1994 Firebird 3.4L V6 SPI, T5, Black with T-Tops and Leather Interior (Daily Driver)
    1985 Trans-Am 383 Stroker Carb., Black with T-Tops (Hobby Car)
    1986 Trans-Am 5.0L TPI, Blue with T-Tops. (Project Car)

You'll just have to plug it in and see if the theftlock was activated or not. If you're lucky, it wasn't and you can just plug it in and go. If it was activated, you'll need the VIN from the car you took it from and take it to a dealer(in the new car) and have them unlock it. I seem to remember someone posting a number you could call to get it unlocked yourself but I have no idea where I saw that as it's been years ago.

2003 S10 Blazer 2 door 2wd 4.3 auto lowered 3" daily driver

Comment

you can unlock it yourself, you should pick up a chiltons repair manual for the car it describes in detail how to do it plus it is useful for alot of other things, i would tell you how to but i am at school and dont have it with me.

Comment

I know how ya feel on this one. When I bought my 99 bird with the stock radio, it had that anti-theft thing activated. My advice, take it to a trusted auto place. I took it to a local car audio/visual place and they did it for free. Basically they take the vin, etc etc etc, and input it into your cd player and poof, it works.

Also, when you finally find out what the security number is for your anti theft system: WRITE IT DOWN. Whenever you undo the battery to your car, you'll have to reset it, so it's best to have the number handy.
        sigpic
        1999 Firebird V6 3800
        Y87 Performance Package
        W68 Appearence Package
        SLP Cold Air Induction

Comment

They don't input the vin into the CD player. They call a special GM number that gives them an unlock code. This code turns off the theftlock and unless you enter another code, it stays unlocked.

Comment

Wouldn't that code be in the original owners manual that came with the car?
            Currently Owned F-Bodies

1994 Firebird 3.4L V6 SPI, T5, Black with T-Tops and Leather Interior (Daily Driver)

Comment

I don't know about on our cars, but on the Ex's car there is a 4 digit code that you put into the radio. I looked it up once and you take a number off the top of the radio and call a company with the number and they give you the code. I think it costs like $30.

2011 Mustang GT
              20" Satin Black AMRs with 305/35 & 275/35 MT Street Radials, Saleen Grille, CS Lower Valance, Roush Axleback, GT500 Spoiler, resonator delete

In Progress: Brembo 6-piston brake upgrade

Comment

This is from a grand am site, but I used it sucessfully on my Grand Am back in the day. Might be similar?

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showt...t=radio+unlock
                1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - 6 Speed

Comment

like i said pick up a chiltons repair manual at your local auto parts store ( for me it was murrays ) and it gives you the number and tells you what to do step by step.

Comment

or if your cheap you can walk into the store and read the section, but thats shady buisness

Comment

Originally posted by GETGONE View Post
                      They don't input the vin into the CD player. They call a special GM number that gives them an unlock code. This code turns off the theftlock and unless you enter another code, it stays unlocked.
                      yea, i spoke wrong on that, i meant i thought that they take your vin # and call the GM number and get the radio number....BUT that was wrong too I guess lol.
                      As my95z28 stated, they take a # off the top of the radio. I never knew that, but i wasn't completely sure on the entire process either
                      sigpic
                      1999 Firebird V6 3800
                      Y87 Performance Package
                      W68 Appearence Package
                      SLP Cold Air Induction

Comment

Originally posted by ezysk View Post
                        Wouldn't that code be in the original owners manual that came with the car?
                        There is no code set from the factory. It's owner settable. Besides, printing it in the owners manual would defeat the purpose of it being a theft locked radio. If thieves knew the unlock code was in the owners manual, they'd just grab that too and then use it in anything.

Comment

Originally posted by GETGONE View Post
                          There is no code set from the factory. It's owner settable. Besides, printing it in the owners manual would defeat the purpose of it being a theft locked radio. If thieves knew the unlock code was in the owners manual, they'd just grab that too and then use it in anything.
                          That is assuming you keep your owners manual in your car.
                          Currently Owned F-Bodies

Comment

Originally posted by ezysk View Post
                            That is assuming you keep your owners manual in your car.
                            And that you have an owners manual.
                            sigpic
                            Check out my 'bird: http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...256#post325256

Comment

I always have an owners manual and it's always in the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X