X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 to LT1 Swap ?'s

Okay. Heres the deal. I have a 94 Camaro base model with a 3.4 Liter V6. I also have a 95 Buick Roadmaster with a stock LT1 V8, which was my first car, and is now totaled. I have a 355 Chevy Crate motor on an engine stand in the garage that needs to be completely rebuilt. I have a couple of questions: What problems, if any, might I run into doing the swap from the V6 to either V8? Will the V8's both bolt up to the stock 5-spd manual trans in the Camaro? and, finally, Will one V8 be an easier swap than the other? I have all of the tools short of a lift and a cherry picker to do the swap, and I am on a tight budget, so just buying a Z28 is out of the question.
    Nick H.
    Current MIFC Vice President

sigpic

I don't think a v8 will bolt up to a v6 bellhousing on the trans. And usually swaps aren't cheap lol. You always find things to spend money on. I think the LT1 swap would be the easiest since you have everything for it. You will have to get new motor mounts which is no big deal and they need to be moved to the spot for the v8 mounts. rebuilding a motor gets expensive quick. lol believe me.
    sigpic
    And another thing.....when I gun the motor, I want the whole world to think it's coming to an end.
    -Homer Simpson

Comment

the roadmaster LT1 would be the way to go most likely, but yea, youll probably need a t-56 6 six speed which wont be cheap. That being said, you probably have the majority of everything esle. key word: probably
      -Joel
      1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
      1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

I've never heard of an easy motor swap.... i would honestly say it would be easier to save for a Z28... you can find some pretty good 4th gen (93-97) Z28's with a decent number of miles for only 5 grand!...that's not bad for one hell of a car!... my buddy got his 96 Z28 t-top 6 speed fully loaded with like 75,000 miles on it for $5500
        1998 Camaro SS Bullseye Turbo
        2002 F-250 7.3 Leveled on 20s with 35's
        2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary
        http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...-Update/page11

Comment

really the 355 crate would be cheeper but if you already have an lt1 with the computer and all the wires and everything ya all you need is a new trans... you dont have to get a t56 your looking at atleast 2 grand for a full setup for that... the v-6 manual wont handle the v-8 and i dont know of anyone that makes an adapter to fit the v-6 trans on the v-8 for that matter, but see if you cant find a rwd 4l60e in the junkyard which shouldnt be hard... pretty much everything had them in rwd... then just find a drive shaft off a v-8 if yours isnt the same length... it will take some work moving of the motor mounts like they said, and all the wiring... but really shouldnt cost too much i know a few places you can get the 4l60e pretty cheep if you cant find one... a good used one around here is normally 350 400 bucks with under 75,000 miles on it...
          Originally posted by Frank The Tank
          Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low.

Comment

he has a point about the 4l60e, that would be a lot cheaper. also, what happened to the tranny in the roadmaster? couldnt you use that? should be a 4l60e if im not mistaken,
            -Joel
            1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
            1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

Im gonna bet the Gen I block will bolt right in the same as an LT1 will...pretty sure they are setup the same except for the reverse flow and wetsleeve design.
              -08 G8 GT DD: Rotofab CAI, HID's, Breyton Race GTS'
              -86 Iroc Project: LQ4, Th400, S400, Ford 9"

Comment

Im not sure if the LT1 accessory mounts were the same from the FBod cars to the others? Even if they were youd need things like AC Lines, motor mounts, new trans, new radiator hoses, v8 front springs, which will basically nickel and dime you to death. Then once its in youll want to take it out to mod it. lol.

Not to mention.. down the road the original 8 cyl will be worth more then a swapped car.

Comment

Like i said...sounds easy enough on paper just to "swap a motor" but in reality it's a freakin hassle...all the "little things" are what will send you on wild goose chases through junk yards and dealerships...and will eventually be more expensive and more of a hassle then just to get a Z28
                  1998 Camaro SS Bullseye Turbo
                  2002 F-250 7.3 Leveled on 20s with 35's
                  2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary
                  http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...-Update/page11

Comment

well if you know what your doing... it shouldnt cost all that much... yes the v-8 springs and motor mounts but aslong as there isnt a clearance problem with the motor which i doubt there would be... you could keep the same accessory brackets and all you have to do for a/c is cut and solder the lines onto the stock box... the wiring is going to be the issue which really wont cost anything but will be a headache... will everything on that motor and computer wire into your current dash... if not your going to need to get a wiring diagram for bolth cars then cut and splice till your blue in the face... most gm's are very close specially if your talking a 95 putting it into a 94.. this is going to be alot of work... the engine and trans will be the easy part of it... i dont know anyone that loves to do wiring...lol try putting a 454 fuel injected motor out of a 94 truck into a 92 blazer... ya it worked the motor fit in with a few helps of a torch and sledge hammer... but the wirring... god... i still have nightmares... but it will work... if your willing to put in the man hours. for the most part i would say you can keep all your stock breaks...and such maybe even the stock springs find out the weight difference from a v-6 to v-8 and just figure if your willing to go with it... we tossed the big block in a 4.3 rwd blazer which was a headache but really wasnt that bad if your good with a wrench... we kept stock breaks and springs it did ride pretty low in the front but who cares it was a big block the thing isnt going to handle like factory after that...lol
                    Originally posted by Frank The Tank
                    Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low.

Comment

Well, the Roadmaster has a 700R4 Auto trans, but I want to keep my car a manual. The LT1 I have has a little over 120,000 miles on it, but it was babied it's whole life, and my dad says that the motor is "just broken in." And to SS4Matt: My original post explains why I cannot afford to buy another camaro. I am a HS/dual enrollment college student, and all of the money I earn goes into a college fund. I only paid $1100 for the Camaro I have anyway, so $5000 more is a lot to me. Why buy another car when I have 2 cars and a crate motor already crowding the garage and driveway?! I don't mean any disrespect, but I can't afford to pursue a music degree and indulge myself by buying another camaro. Another car is out of the question. . I don't have money, but I have V8 parts and plenty of time to do a swap. My dad's a mechanic, and he will be helping me, so moving mounts and rebuilding the engine won't be any problem when it needs to be done.
                      Nick H.

sigpic

Comment

Are you sure my 5spd trans won't work with the LT1?
                        Nick H.

sigpic

Comment

one way you could make some money is to sell me the lt1 engine,trans, and wiring?

Comment

Okay. For starters, a worldclass V8 T5 will barely handle a stock 350 tuned port and will eventually die. The V6 version is not built to even handle any kind of v8, never the less an LT1. So, even if you had a V8 T5 it would still not be wise to reuse it.

Go to a 700R or a T56.

Comment

Originally posted by 06camarodude
                              Okay. Heres the deal. I have a 94 Camaro base model with a 3.4 Liter V6. I also have a 95 Buick Roadmaster with a stock LT1 V8, which was my first car, and is now totaled.
                              Oh yeah... 93 was the only year for the 700R with the LT1... are you sure its not a 4L60E behind it?

Comment

Working...
                              X