X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th generation v6 to v8 swap

:snowman: :christmastree: anyone out there have any input on swapping a v8 into a v6 4th generation camaro. has anyone done it? Would it be easier to go with a carbed 350 (cowl and hood clearancelook tight) or maybe an lt1 and pcm and wiring harness. Has any one done it or seen it done I would prefer the carbed setup. I know the suspension and some of the driveline will have to be changed. but any help or ideas would be great.

Jon "wasjo###" has a carbed 350 swapped into his once V6 bird

Sean@CARS did an LS1 swap into a 3.4 V6 camaro a month or so ago

Jim "Rouda" did an LT1 swap into his V6 camaro not long ago as well if i recall everyone correctly.

the carb setup will be the worst for fitment, you have to whack out some cowel to make it work. swapping an LT1 or LS1 in a 4th gen would be the easiest since they came with them!

you'll either need a k-member out of a V8 car, or just make new motor mounts for the V6 one. the 2 piece drive shaft from an early V6 car would not be preferable, but wouldn't be a necessity. i can't think of much more although i know there is....
    1998 Camaro SS Bullseye Turbo
    2002 F-250 7.3 Leveled on 20s with 35's
    2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary
    http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...-Update/page11

Comment

Front V8 springs are stiffer to support the weight of the block...

"ANY car can be an SS but ONLY a Camaro can be a Z28!" Scott S.

"Owning a 9 second import is like coming out of the closet. At first you surprise everyone, but in the end you're still gay!"

Comment

Yes, Dan told me that a K-member from an LT1 car would be the best bet, since it's a simple swap through the bottom of the car, and the only thing that would need to be changed in addition to that would be the wiring harness. Several people have done it, and I think it's a relatively simple operation, it just requires some time and some $$$$. Good luck!
        Nick H.
        Current MIFC Vice President

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 02redz28
          Front V8 springs are stiffer to support the weight of the block...
          yes, but there's a hand ful of people that put V6 springs on their rears cause they're softer. again not really a necessity, hell some people like their car lowered
          1998 Camaro SS Bullseye Turbo
          2002 F-250 7.3 Leveled on 20s with 35's
          2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary
          http://www.mifbody.com/vbulletin/sho...-Update/page11

Comment

I think we need a section for engine swaps, generation specific, and motor to motor specifics. Like 4th gen LT1, LS1, & carb........3rd gen TPI, carb, covering v6 to v8 and 305 to 350 and sbc to bbc swaps, there has to be a handful of people here who have some knowledge on atleast all kinds of swaps.

Comment

I already have my LS1, but I'm curious...
              ...How much would a LS1 swap cost? Used engine, trans?, K-member, wiring/ECM, etc.
              Zeevert - 2002 Z28

Another View of my Z28 ... or a Bonneville GXP

Comment

I did the swap took about 30hours. Did the lt1 swap cause if you want to do the ls1 swap youd be better of buying a wrecked ls1 and putting a 93-97 front end on it. You will have to rewire the whole car. Mine was plug and play except I had 2 wires put in for 4 fuel injectors. I put the v6 coil overs on my car now. I will get some good ones but Im researching and the holidays are here so Im taken it easy.

Comment

Working...
                X