X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grundy notice from Michigan about new tax

Ok, I just got a letter from Grundy about a new Michigan tax "surcharge" for every vehicle insured in Michigan.

$37.20 - Historic/Authentic plate
    $186.00 - standard plate
    /year

Wow, that is a pretty big change. I am looking into it further now, but had a few questions for the group.

I know historic plates requires pretty limited driving. Meaning just to events. Can you just cruise with these plates? Through my insurance with grundy I have to have a second "daily driver" car. I garage my camaro, but I can pretty much drive it whenever I want. I am not suppose to drive it to work unless I am actually working on it at work.

My in as 82 so I am eligible for a historic or authentic plate. What are your guys' experience with these plates? Do you cruise your cars, legally? Any issues? That is a lot of money to save. What would you guys recommend?

Lastly, Are historic plates and authentic plates regulated the same way? Meaning regarding my cruise, enjoyment driving do both plates have the same rules?

Thanks for your thoughts!

The historic plates do have limitations, but they recently passed an addendum to allow you to drive on them for the entire month of August, which frees you up for the Dream Cruise and such.

Comment

Called Grundy. They have me down as historic, but now michigan needs proof to avoid the surcharge.

Not sure how that worked. I guess it was just a choice when I got the insurance. So now I have to pick if I am going to stay that or get the new plate for the historic. Actually I would probably find an 82 plate and do an authentic plate.

Anyone know the actual regulations on having an authentic plate?

Comment

Originally posted by s8bayer View Post
        Called Grundy. They have me down as historic, but now michigan needs proof to avoid the surcharge.

Not sure how that worked. I guess it was just a choice when I got the insurance. So now I have to pick if I am going to stay that or get the new plate for the historic. Actually I would probably find an 82 plate and do an authentic plate.

Anyone know the actual regulations on having an authentic plate?
        http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7...364---,00.html
        License Plates for Michigan’s Historical Vehicles
        Michigan, the automobile capital of the world, has many residents who collect and restore antique vehicles. Since 1956, the state has offered a special, inexpensive vehicle registration for older vehicles that are operated on the road only occasionally. Many antique cars, trucks, and motorcycles qualify for special registration as Michigan historical vehicles. A qualifying vehicle may be registered with the Michigan Secretary of State either with a Michigan historical vehicle plate, or an actual Michigan license plate the same year as the historic vehicle’s model year.

To qualify for a historical or authentic license plate, vehicle must be:
        • 26 or more years old -- based on vehicle model year subtracted from current calendar year
        • Owned solely as a collector’s item
        • Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades, and car shows.

Note: A vehicle registered with a historical plate or authentic historic plate cannot be used for routine transportation, except during the month of August when it may be driven anywhere in the
        state without restrictions.

Historical Vehicle Plate
        The Michigan historical vehicle plate is white with six blue numbers (four if a motorcycle plate).
        Historical vehicle plates are $30 and valid for 10 years. To obtain one, present the following items at any Secretary of State office:
        (a) Proof of ownership, preferably a copy of the title.
        (b) Proof of Michigan no-fault insurance.
        (c) $30 fee (make checks or money orders payable to “State of Michigan”).
        (d) The completed application on the reverse side.
        If you do not have the original title or a copy of it, present a previous registration document as proof of ownership. Your historical vehicle plate will be mailed from Lansing to the address on the registration within two weeks.

Authentic License Plate
        Michigan also allows residents to register their antique vehicle with a same-year general use Michigan license plate. Reproduction or remanufactured plates are not allowed. The plate must display the correct colors for the plate year. For 1984 and later model year vehicles, blue plates with white letters were issued from 1984 through 2006. These plates may be used to apply for an authentic license plate registration if the plate displays an authentic Michigan year tab corresponding to the model year of the antique vehicle. The only exception is for the 1984 blue plate because tabs were not issued until 1985.The authentic plate registration fee is $35. Authentic plate registrations are valid until the vehicle is sold, transferred, scrapped, or modified.
        Authentic license plates must be registered by mail and are not handled by Secretary of State offices. To obtain a registration, provide all the following documents with your application:
        (a) A color photograph, a color scan, or a color photocopy of the license plate (passenger, commercial, trailer, or motorcycle). Do not mail the original plate. Personalized, government, law enforcement, manufacturer, dealer, intransit repair, disability, and special purpose license plates cannot be used as authentic license plates. If in doubt, check with the department before purchasing a license plate.
        (b) Proof of ownership, preferably a copy of the title.
        (c) Proof of Michigan no-fault insurance.
        (d) $35 fee (make checks or money orders payable to “State of Michigan”).
        (e) The completed application on the reverse side. You will receive a new registration within two weeks.
        Western Michigan Camaro Club ~ President
        1987 Camaro IROC-Z Pearl White & Black w/ Red Pearl, 355 TPI, A4, 3:42, AirRide,"GOMARO"
        2017 Silverado Double Cab Z71 Pepperdust Metallic, 5.3, A6, 3:42, "SASYZ71"
        2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT White, 3800
        WMCC Website www.wmcamaro.org

"A government big enough to give you everything you want,
        is strong enough to take everything you have." — Thomas Jefferson

"Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who
        are willing to work and give to those who would not."
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I did now see the August month as free for anything. Other than that it is the:
          "• Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades, and car shows."

This doesn't say anything about bringing the family out for ice cream, Just taking a cruise, or even driving for tuning the car.

So what happens here. If I am just out and about cruising. I can get pulled over, and ticketed if I can prove that I am going to an event (meaning outside of August)?

Comment

Originally posted by s8bayer View Post
            I did now see the August month as free for anything. Other than that it is the:
            "• Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades, and car shows."

This doesn't say anything about bringing the family out for ice cream, Just taking a cruise, or even driving for tuning the car.

So what happens here. If I am just out and about cruising. I can get pulled over, and ticketed if I can prove that I am going to an event (meaning outside of August)?
            Pretty much thats what it means, but I don't think I have ever heard of anybody being pulled over for a historical or Authentic plate.
            Western Michigan Camaro Club ~ President
            1987 Camaro IROC-Z Pearl White & Black w/ Red Pearl, 355 TPI, A4, 3:42, AirRide,"GOMARO"
            2017 Silverado Double Cab Z71 Pepperdust Metallic, 5.3, A6, 3:42, "SASYZ71"
            2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT White, 3800
            WMCC Website www.wmcamaro.org

"A government big enough to give you everything you want,
            is strong enough to take everything you have." — Thomas Jefferson

"Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who
            are willing to work and give to those who would not."
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by WMCC Gary View Post
              Pretty much thats what it means, but I don't think I have ever heard of anybody being pulled over for a historical or Authentic plate.
              Plus, it says club activities. So as long as you are a member of a car club, it makes it pretty hard for them to prove you aren't going to a club meeting or cruise.

Comment

They pull people over in the Lowell/Ada area for historic/old plates. That much I do know.

"I'm just driving it to my friend's shop to put it on the lift. I think I have a small exhaust leak."

1998 Camaro Z28 - Bright Red, 6.0 TR224, 4l60e, 3.42 Eaton TrueTrac
                1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible - 355 big tube TPI, WC T5, 3.42 Zexel Torsen, CTS-V/C4 brakes
                1955 Bel Air 2 Door Post - 357 TPI, Muncie M20, 4 wheel disc

2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Daily Driver

Comment

They are starting to crack down on historic plates here as well, only exception is the WDC

Comment

Happens a lot, actually -- just depends on what jurisdiction you live in, and whether you have a zealous enforcer of the law in your city/county. That's why the legislature made the August exemption, to keep people from getting those kind of tickets while engaging in the various big cruises.

"PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals" -- 1977z28Will

Comment

The way. I understood the letter is this has been in affect for awhile. Just probly updating records. So its not new. Or me car insurance will get cancelled on everythi g and ill join the no fault crowed.
                      sigpic

Comment

It used to happen in Royal Joke the week before the dream cruise

Comment

Only time I have ever heard of someone being pulled over on them, it was because he drove the car every day to work, and the cops finally noticed. Anyone know what the fine or penalty would be?

Comment

the increase is only $11 a year isnt it?

Comment

No first post.

The extra fee is for your insurance. It is $150 a year. That is why I thought it was worth talking about. That much makes it well worth looking into a historic plate... however, not worth not being able to use my car...

Thanks for the feedback guys. All good thoughts... I am going to keep digging into it and maybe even talk to a few cop friends. You know, on the DL.

Comment

Working...
                              X