X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Firebird 3.4.. really need help!

So I came across a 1 owner firebird about two months back. 55k miles.
    It's been sitting outside for 10 YEARS! Under some trees, weeds growing up all over it. Moss and algae covered the body. It looked like a lost cause. However, the owner asked me if I thought it was savable, and I wasn't sure. Told him there's a chance, if he could get it to my house, I could tear into it and let him know.

The car didn't roll. the car wouldn't even crank over with a good battery, bad starter. I cleaned the body up in about 4 hours and my God does it look pretty now. Bright red! Replaced a bunch of parts, starter, battery, plugs/wires etc. Discovered a rotted/broken engine ground, replaced it. Everything on the underside of this car is brittle. You touch anything, and rust just starts falling. It's ridiculous.

So now the car cranks, I'm getting spark(cyl 2,6, and 3 anyway, didn't check the other 3.. I know, I should) I'm getting fuel at the rail, or at the fuel valve by the intake. Fuel shoots out when you press the stem in. Drained the gas and replaced with good clean 87. Fuel filter is flowing gas good. cleaned the TB spotless. Everything seems to be working. But it just cranks.. it tries to start but just won't fire.

The main areas I'm looking at right now are air, fuel, and spark.. all three of which I seem to be getting. However, I'm not familiar with these 3.4's like I am an LT or LS motor. I've cut the exhaust off for two reasons, to make sure it wasn't plugged with rats nests, and two, it was just rust. The whole underside of this damn car is brittle rust as you can imagine.

I need some suggestions. What else should I check?
    I haven't checked the pcm, but it seems to be working. Coils are sending spark. Fuel is getting to the valve at least, and the fuel pumps primes everytime. Just throw out ideas. I know this car can be drivable again. And I'm betting it very close. The guy wants to give it to his grandson and I really want to get it done for him.

Thanks guys,

Justin
    Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter ORY, full MSD ign., 2 step, rear LCA's, SFC's, B&M Ripper, poly motor mounts, Nitto NT05R's, WS6 wheels, KYB AGX adj. suspension, Eibach Sprotline springs, Trickflow elbow w/K&N, All HVAC deleted w/ delete panel, no AIR, No EGR

96 Z28 Camaro M6
    2008 Silverado quad cab LTZ

How about the MAF sensor? I had a cranking no start issue on my old trans am. come to find out the honeycomb screen was damaged. swapped it out and started great.

'69 Camaro LS1/T56 project - Sold

'97 Trans Am in pieces - LT1/T56- Traded for DD

Comment

I'd check the fuel pressure. Also check to see if the fuel pressure regulator is leaking. I don't do anything more than pull the vacuum line off to see if there is fuel in it. It should be the only thing with fuel lines and a vac line. Check for codes, if you can.
      2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 M6 | C4 ZR1 Wheels | Borla Cat-back
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 69LS1 View Post
        How about the MAF sensor? I had a cranking no start issue on my old trans am. come to find out the honeycomb screen was damaged. swapped it out and started great.
        The 3.4 didn't have a maf sensor. Pretty sure that came on the 3.8's and v8 motors only
        Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter ORY, full MSD ign., 2 step, rear LCA's, SFC's, B&M Ripper, poly motor mounts, Nitto NT05R's, WS6 wheels, KYB AGX adj. suspension, Eibach Sprotline springs, Trickflow elbow w/K&N, All HVAC deleted w/ delete panel, no AIR, No EGR

96 Z28 Camaro M6

Comment

Originally posted by GlennT View Post
          I'd check the fuel pressure. Also check to see if the fuel pressure regulator is leaking. I don't do anything more than pull the vacuum line off to see if there is fuel in it. It should be the only thing with fuel lines and a vac line. Check for codes, if you can.
          I was going to scan for codes but since it won't run it's not throwing anything. As far as fuel, it seems to be good. fuel sprays out of the check valve when I tested it. No leaks at the regulator, and all the plugs smell like gas when I pulled them after freshly installing them.. and I guess they should since it's just cranking and not burning anything off. I've read that these 3.4's had common ignition problems but again, this one seems to be okay. 10 years is a long time though, the possibilities are high numbered. thanks though

96 Z28 Camaro M6

Comment

The one thing I haven't done is a compression test, which I plan on doing in the next couple days. For all I know this motor could have a couple burned up pistons, I have no clue about the actual history of the car and what all happened up to the point of it being parked.

96 Z28 Camaro M6

Comment

You beat me to it. Compression test. Pull the plugs and shoot some penetrating oil in the cylinders, or trans fluid. Rings may all be stuck from sitting so long.

Comment

Working...
              X