X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 92conv View Post
    Jeremy- The '77 looks like a much more solid platform than first thought. You're right, it should be a fun project.......I still really hope you plan to keep the Pontiac 400.
    Oh yea, assuming the 400 is usable (still have to pull and take to the machine shop), but if its a good core, it will be rebuilt and going back in (with a little extra power, hoping to at least double the stock output of 200hp haha)
    "Project Shadowfax" <- Clicky Clicky

1984 Pontiac Trans Am (15th Anniversary Edition)
    L69 (High Output 5.0) / 700r4 Auto Trans

Comment

Started stripping the car down yesterday, not a whole lot of progress, but got the hood and fenders off!

15977968_10153965850485882_3945625386884640757_n.jpg

Comment

"Not a whole lot"

Half the front end is missing - I'd say that's a good amount of progress right there!
        Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

anyone here comfortable with doing some body panel welding? I'm planning on picking up some patch panels and such to get these rust issues under control, but I don't have a welder or welding experience haha.

Comment

made a little progress on the 77, and finally decided to look through all the spare parts, does it look like there is anything of value here? defiantly need to get rid of some of this stuff, like the glass, steering column, etc.

Comment

Everything has a value on old cars, you never know who will need some random item.

Comment

Originally posted by MP81 View Post
                Everything has a value on old cars, you never know who will need some random item.
                that's what i was thinking too haha, some of this stuff I'll hold on to until I know for sure I don't need it.

do you happen to know what those bar things are in the 2nd to last pic? are those shift rods for a manual transmission?

Comment

Originally posted by Jdseibe View Post

that's what i was thinking too haha, some of this stuff I'll hold on to until I know for sure I don't need it.

do you happen to know what those bar things are in the 2nd to last pic? are those shift rods for a manual transmission?
                  Looks like a really rusty wiper trans that's missing the motor

13th!!! Annual Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2017
                  June 10th, 2017 - 9am to 3pm!!!
                  Bakers of Milford, Milford, MI

Classics only cost alot if you add up what you spend!

sigpic

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
                  - Dale Earnhardt -

Comment

Originally posted by TSTONE View Post

Looks like a really rusty wiper trans that's missing the motor
                    ooh that makes sense! I was trying to figure out what they might be.. I knew that manual transmissions had those rods, but wasn't sure if these were them or not. awesome thanks!

Comment

update:

I have officially sold the 84 Anniversary T/A, I enjoyed getting that car up and going, but after driving it for a bit and brining it up to the meet & greet I realized in it's current form it wasn't what I wanted in a car, and instead of cutting up a nice anniversary car I decided to sell it and start building the 77.

I had been thinking about what route I wanted to go with the car, I knew for sure that I wanted to convert it to a manual transmission, so I started looking into what was needed to convert it to a manual transmission, there are really three options for this. 1) buy a super t-10 or a muncie m20,21,22 or another equivalent transmission from that era, 2) buy an aftermarket transmission like a ttko, 3) buy a t56 and swap it in.

problem with option 1 is, people think these old transmissions are gold, for a used super t-10 with no bellhousing or shifter or anything, people still want like $700 for them, so after collecting all the required parts and the cost to swap, the car still ends up being a stock 4 speed that isn't that impressive to begin with. option 2 is just expensive, to buy a tko and then everything needed to swap in is upwards of $3k-4k depending on buying used vs new. option 3 seems to be by for the most economical solution. after looking around it was really starting to make sense that in order to swap in a manual transmission t56 it needs to be an LS1 t56 and not the LT1 version, but the problem here is that people again believe that a used LS1 transmission with nothing else included with it is gold, 2k+ for a used transmission. at this point I was starting to get discouraged, until I came across the perfect donor vehicle, and that leads us to where I am right now.

I have come across a 1998 Camaro with LS1/T56, the car looks to be in pretty good shape and is in running / driving condition with around 120k miles on it, the car is located down south by my brother-in-laws house and the guy is not asking a whole ton for the car, so I am in the process of buying it off him, price seems too good to pass up, the car obviously was in a wreck or something due to it having a rebuilt title, which is why the guys is selling it for what he is, but for my purposes it makes a great donor car. Like I said, running / driving ls1 car for a good price, A/C even works, leather interior. after pulling all the parts I need I will be parting the car out.

So the plan as of now is probably doing a full LS1/T56 swap instead of building up the 400, nothing is set in stone yet, but that is kind of where I am thinking this car is heading, looks like I will have a lot of good parts to part out though, exterior parts/panels, wheels, rear end, brake setup possibly, leather interior, etc, etc. and if I go the LS1 route, I'll have the whole 400/turbo 350 setup that i could sell, with all the auto related parts that I won't need anymore, so all in all, i think this is a great start, on the plus side, since I am not in a place to start ripping the car apart yet, I can still insure it for a little while and drive it around haha.

Comment

finalized the purchase of my donor car, the plan at the moment is to just drive around with it for a bit before winter and then start stripping it down during winter time, at that point I'll be parting the car out, so everyone should keep that in mind if they want some 4th gen parts (minus the engine/transmission/wiring/computer etc).

Comment

Sounds like the best possible way to go, honestly.

I have no issues with my ST-10, but putting in a manual transmission that does not have overdrive, and does have a throw that is approximately half the length of the [16-foot-long] car does seem to not be worth the money that it will cost you, when, for not a ton more (respective to the cost of a ST-10), you can end up with something that has two extra gears, overdrive, and a much, much shorter throw.

And an LS1.

Comment

picked up my donor car yesterday! pretty fun to drive

Comment

That looks like it's in pretty decent shape

13th!!! Annual Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2017
                              June 10th, 2017 - 9am to 3pm!!!
                              Bakers of Milford, Milford, MI

Classics only cost alot if you add up what you spend!

sigpic

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
                              - Dale Earnhardt -

Comment

Originally posted by TSTONE View Post
                                That looks like it's in pretty decent shape
                                That's what I was thinking!

Comment

Working...
                                X