Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know there is no reason to ask you, since you typically are very thorough when it comes to your projects, but you should totally post a vid with the long tubes running open haha
    "Project Shadowfax" <- Clicky Clicky

1984 Pontiac Trans Am (15th Anniversary Edition)
    L69 (High Output 5.0) / 700r4 Auto Trans

Comment

• Oh, that is definitely the plan.
      Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• Well, it sure seems like I need a new dipstick tube...and it sure seems like all the aftermarket options are not that great...guess I'll have to give one of them a shot, because I'm kind of screwed otherwise.

I must've bent it removing it from the block, because the portion that inserts into the block is definitely not straight. And just while trying to work it back in, it's definitely developed a crack right above that part. Ugh...

Comment

• O'Reilly has the Mr. Gasket one I had ordered on Amazon (paying the extra for next day shipping so I'd have it Wednesday) in-store, and for less (once you included the shipping upcharge), so hopefully that'll at least get me by. It's chrome, and I'd rather it not be, but whatever, it'll work for now.

This is more of a reference for myself to make sure I don't forget anything, but things remaining:

-Finish reconnecting clutch/transmission linkage near the firewall (that I had to disconnect/move in order to drop the header in). I got the pivot bracket reconnected, and attached to the rod that goes up to the column (reverse key lock mechanism). I just need to reattach the rod from the reverse lever to that bracket (cotter key, which I have new ones somewhere because it just broke apart), and figure out where the long spring attaches to on the trans/linkage side.
          -Install new O2 sensor - may require lengthening of the wire - but looking at it the other day, I may be able to pull the engine-side connection back through the harness and give myself an extra foot or two. The collector really isn't as far as I was thinking.
          -Install bung plug on right side header (that's for a wideband later on down the road)
          -Install new dipstick
          -Reconnect and install starter
          -Install new (shorter) alternator belt
          -Plug all open vacuum lines (quite a few now that I no longer have the AIR/smog pump setup)
          -Lube and install new lower speedo cable - making sure to keep it off the exhaust this time.
          -Quadrouple check every thing.
          -Reinstall wheels and tires.
          -Define "Murica" for my neighbors, via the glory of open headers at WOT.

After that is all done, I can tighten the header bolts after it cools down (hopefully I'm not getting any leaks), get it back on stands, and do the exhaust system. I should have my brother's help again Friday, so if it comes to it, we can handle that all Friday night. I'd rather get it done before, though.
          Last edited by MP81; June 6th, 2017, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• I swear I hardly got anything done today, even though I was out there for 2.5-3 hours. Lot of swearing.

Tried tackling the clutch linkage, but discovered I cannot connect my clutch return spring back to the factory location on the frame, because it runs into a primary...so...I have to figure out another spot to connect it. I know it doesn't really matter where at goes, as long as it has about the same amount of tension, so I need to do some more looking...moved onto something else at that point.

Getting the new dipstick in was a bit harder than I was expecting, but a few taps to a taper punch with a hammer slid it right in. It's as the reviews say - loose, and the mounting bracket slides up and down, so it's not that great. But for the time being it works. Then I spent easily an hour dicking with the ****ing starter, and the bolt that holds the dipstick bracket as well as the upper starter bracket in managed to crossthread (or start to), so after a lot of yelling and swearing, I was able to forcefully "fix" it (at least I think so - it threads all the way in and out, so I think so), and get it mounted.

I connected the starter wires (correctly, I hope), and they're about half an inch to an inch away from the primary, so I may need to get some kind of heat-reflective loom (though I'm hoping the ceramic coating does its job and keep the heat in the pipe and not outside).

After dealing with that shit, I went ahead and put the coolant expansion tank back in, and then then new alternator belt on (the new one I got is definitely the right size, so there's something that went right).

So looks like this all remains:

-Find a new home for the frame-end of the clutch return spring. Finish connecting/mounting linkages (reverse linkage to the key linkage, clutch adjustment rod) I believe is all that remains.
            -O2 sensor
            -Right side bung plug
            -Plug vacuum lines
            -Speedo cable
            -Wheels and tires
            -Loud noises
            -Then exhaust system

Comment

• On a whim I ordered some adhesive-backed heat barrier (with the intention of covering/wrapping the starter wires with it), spark plug boot sleeves since I have 3 or 4 that are probably far closer than they'd like (one is about 1mm away - definitely asking for trouble), and a large assortment of vacuum caps for my various open vacuum lines.

Comment

• You're certainly getting a lot done, even if it doesn't always feel like it.

You're making me look like a real slacker.
                DynoDave
                POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• My body certainly makes it feel like it, even if my mind doesn't.

Got the backdrive linkage reconnected, the clutch adjustment rod reattached and found a home for the clutch return spring (which only rubs a little on the primary). Also installed the lower speedo cable too and the right-hand bung plug. So all I really have left is lengthening the O2 cable (going to do that on the old one - will get a nice extension for my new one - it's too nice to cut, haha), then installing it, plugging open vac fittings no longer used (probably will use tape for the time being if my vacuum caps aren't in yet). Then just gotta make sure everything is plugged in (the knock sensor? on the right side needs to be reconnected) and should be good to fire!

Excuse the flash - makes everything look gross.

Backdrive linkage:

Clutch (fork) return spring. Run to the front bolt hole for the subframe braces (which cannot be used with the headers since they'd occupy the same space):

New chrome dipstick. Doesn't fit as well as stock, oh well, it works for now.

Cylinder #6's boot is about 1mm from the primary - hence the plug boot sleeves on the way...

But all in all...seems like I'm finally almost there! Friday night will probably be dedicated solely to mounting the exhaust.

Comment

• Meant to get more done today, but had a co-worker's (my cube-mate, actually) send off, and we stayed there well past what I expected. Oh well.

My plug boot sleeves came in today, and my vacuum caps and heat wrap should come in tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it started prior to going to the movies and dinner for my brother's birthday tomorrow, then we can come back and get the exhaust on.

Comment

• Clipping the camera's microphone!
                      https://www.facebook.com/kyle.paulse...91201538587771

Tried to get the exhaust on for the meet and greet Friday night, but it just wasn't going to happen. Oh well!

Comparisons of the new exhaust to the old one. Better in every way, clearly:

Comment

• My buddy Matt (has a yellow 1LE, comes out to Woodward regularly) came over today to give me a hand getting this exhaust on. Lot of hard work, but it's finally on the car now!

Sounds great, and at least for the time being, no leaks.

I meant to get pictures when it was still light out (when we finished it), but that didn't happen, I'll get them tomorrow.

Comment

• Daytime pictures.

Comment

• Got the air cleaner back on Sunday - and also had a right rear stud take out two of my lug nuts. So I got myself a die and cleaned those threads up yesterday. I ordered a full set of new lug nuts (so I don't have two shiny ones), and put all those (and the right side wheels/tires) on today. I got some heat wrap on the speedo cable as well - hopefully to prevent it from melting.

Car is back on the ground now - but I didn't take it out for a spin due to the radar getting a bit sketchy.

Engine bay back together. Still a mess of lines and wires, but certainly less complicated without the AIR setup and smog pump.

Tailpipes

Tucked up pretty well!

Comment

• Looks nice. So when do we get a sound clip? Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• Soon, hopefully!

I was going to get one yesterday, but my neighbor was mowing his lawn

If it's not raining, quite possibly today! I'm real happy with the sound.

Comment

Working...
                                X