Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got started on it today, but I was not able to grab the pickle forks from my buddy this week at work, as he didn't get them into his car until Friday, which is when we stayed home due to the impending snow. I tried for probably an hour with a crowbar, but to no avail - simply can't get around the ball joint stud, so not enough of an area to grab/pry like a pickle for would.

The good news is, the ball joint nut and the two upper control arm nuts came loose with any kind of extra hassle - that's always a plus! So those are loose, but until I get the pickle fork, there'll be no splitting the control arms from the spindle.

Also, those upper control arm bolts (the ones that are attached to the frame) are going to pose an issue it looks like...does not look like there will be room to get the control arm off without running into the headers. Dammit.
    Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• So my buddy was a boss and stopped by Duggan's to drop them off, and I was able to get out there for a little bit today (before our cooking class at Sur La Table), and that did the trick - amazing how much better the right tools for the job work! I still had to beat the ever living shit out of the pickle fork, but I'm okay with that.

Passenger side upper control arm out. I sprayed the frame off a bit with some brake cleaner, as there's quite a bit of grime. But then it turns all shiny, so I stopped. Maybe I'll POR-15 this in the future, maybe not. Not too concerned.

Old versus new. Big difference!

Bushings weren't in great shape.

Ball joint didn't seem too bad, other than having no interest in being removed.

Installed the new upper control arm - still need to put the shims back in, but I wanted to fully seat the knurled bolts back in.

Last edited by MP81; February 11th, 2018, 09:31 PM.
      Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Working...
      X