Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody got any thoughts/ideas/tips on getting this god damn cable up where it goes? At this rate, I don't think the car will be making the dyno day, unless I get the cable up, and this key chime to stop.
    Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• If i were you id drive the car. The mileage on the odometer is already not accurate so you cant claim "original miles" as it is. Put a cell phone speedo on the dash and take your time getting it figured out.

I totally understand your frustration with it, but sometimes perfectionism is the theif of joy.

Another thing to consider if youre LS swapping this thing youre going to have to come up with another solution for the speedo eventually anyway.
      Last edited by JoeliusZ28; September 14th, 2016, 08:22 AM.
      -Joel
      1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
      1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeliusZ28 View Post
        If i were you id drive the car. The mileage on the odometer is already not accurate so you cant claim "original miles" as it is. Put a cell phone speedo on the dash and take your time getting it figured out.

I totally understand your frustration with it, but sometimes perfectionism is the theif of joy.

Another thing to consider if youre LS swapping this thing youre going to have to come up with another solution for the speedo eventually anyway.
        I know - I just like tracking everything. It's a problem. At this point, I have enough apart where it makes sense just to finish the job.

And yes - the plan is to swap to one of those panels they make with Auto Meter gauges. I feel like trying to tie in some of the factory gauges with a completely modern powertrain might be a bit of a *****.
        Last edited by MP81; September 14th, 2016, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• Would one of those grabber claw things help with this? Like the ones you use to get a bolt out of a tight spot.
          -Joel

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeliusZ28 View Post
            Would one of those grabber claw things help with this? Like the ones you use to get a bolt out of a tight spot.
            That's not a bad idea. I could feed it down back through the cluster area and grab on. Not sure if the grip will be enough - but that gives me an idea to run another wire down and try a different path up. I do have one of those grabbers though, just need to find it.

Comment

• Oh hello.

A closer look shows my victory this evening:

I think some time away from it allowed me to come at it from a different "angle", and, with some effort, and swearing, I finally got it. My hand is shredded - and the car is a mess, but I still feel like I accomplished something huge. Only took a month!

Now time to try and find the culprit to the key chime being on all the time, with the door closed and the key out. That shouldn't be too hard...oh wait...

Comment

• Looks cable-tastic, Kyle!
                DynoDave
                POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• All of the cables.

Need to try and fix the key chime tonight (or disconnect the buzzer), and then hopefully at least get started on putting it back together.

Comment

• I popped the battery cable on real quick and did not have the key tone without the key being in - so my guess is it was something with the mechanic's wire shorting something. Hopefully it stays that way!

Anyway, attached the new speedo cable to the speedometer, and reassembled the dash. I'm just glad I remembered how it went back together, and what bolts went where...mostly.

Just need to connect the two cables under the car (it was dark by the time the dash was reassembled), install the grommet at the firewall, and then install the floor trim panel. Should be good to go for a test drive after!

Comment

• So, seems like it'll make it on Sat?
                      2000 SS Convertible #1414 - Light Pewter 6 Speed

Comment

• Unless something goes wrong, that is the plan (I'll probably have a horrible time driving it there and back )!

I have to make sure those plug wires stay off the downpipe - that's my biggest concern right now. It may be worth my time to grab a couple of the wire loom clips (like these: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...wire+separator), in the hope the metal brackets are still attached to the block. I'm not so sure my mechanic-wire-off-the-oil-filter will keep them in place while driving, since it's, you know, round.

Comment

• duct tape
                          2000 SS Convertible #1414 - Light Pewter 6 Speed

Comment

• The problem is to what. I probably could encircle the block with mechanics wire to hold them against the block. Block won't get hot enough to fry the wires, but the exhaust surely will. They just need to be pulled toward the passenger side (on the drivers side).

As far as all those wires under the dash, I took the following approach:

Shoved them back up into the dash...I'll deal with those at a later time, haha.

Comment

• I zip tied my plug wires to the engine block and engine mounts on my 95 and ive never had a single issue. Threw the factory looms in the trash years ago, zip ties were 100x easier.
                              -Joel

Comment

• I'll have to look under and see if that will do the trick. As long as they're away from the downpipe, I'm fine with it. I hate how they're routed underneath on the driver's side. Passenger side over the valve cover.
                                Last edited by MP81; September 22nd, 2016, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X