X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... I think I have officially decided to sell the 84

I came across a 77 T/A project that I fell in love with, looks to be a very solid start, it needs a lot of work there is no doubt about that, but i just don't have the time or money for 2 projects, so I think the 15th anniversary will have to go. I will be taking lots of photos and putting it all together and listing it up soon, so if you have anyone in mind let me know. no solid price has been set yet.
    "Project Shadowfax" <- Clicky Clicky

1984 Pontiac Trans Am (15th Anniversary Edition)
    L69 (High Output 5.0) / 700r4 Auto Trans

Comment

• so I decided to stop messing around with the holley 600 I rebuilt and decided to just go ahead and buy a new holley 600 street warrior carb, i put it on, let gas fill the bowls and cranked it over, and immediately the car ran better, significantly better, throttle response is great, smooth idle, etc.

I'll get a video up soon, just have to do some adjustments to the idle and timing first.

This is finally the year to have the car at the M&G!
      92conv and MP81 like this.

Comment

• Excellent! I look forward to seeing it.
        DynoDave
        POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• Hey All, its been a few months since I've given an update, so here it is (and its a good one!)

I have finally been buckling down and getting stuff done to the T/A, while I have been making progress, I have also been running into a few issues a long the way, for the tl;dr version, the car is driving, plated, insured and on the road, needs a few more tweaks, but all in all doing pretty awesome. Below is a list of all the stuff I accomplished since my last update.

- Swapped on new Holley Street Warrior
          - Base adjustment on Carb / Timing (still needs some tweaks)
          - New throttle bracket (cheapo ones just weren't working for what I wanted)
          - Hooked up electric fans (motor polarity was wrong and fought overheating issue for a long time)
          - Plated / Tagged / Insured the car
          - Replaced front struts (bought all front suspension parts to replace, still need to do)
          - Installed the carpet
          - Installed front seats (found out the front seat belts are missing the shoulder part, had to order replacements)
          - Fixed jacked up radio wiring harness (every wire was cut)
          - Installed radio (this needs work, radio might be bad, speakers missing, etc)
          - Installed torque converter lockup kit (still need to wire in to brake switch)
          - bought 4th gen seat belts (will have to do a bit of sill magic to make them look ok. Color is close-ish)
          - bought new door lock cylinders / keys (old cylinders were junk, keys lost)
          - ordered all new exterior light bulbs (headlight, signals, reverse lights, markers, etc)

Things I need to do still (before M&G)
          - look into the radio wiring pinout to see whats going on there (radio display shuts off when headlights come on, i think it also blew a fuse when the headlights came on)
          - replace all bulbs, flasher unit, old fuses
          - install new 4th gen seat belts (up front at least to start)
          - install rear seats, look into why front seats wobble a bit (brackets not tightened all the way?)
          - finish installing torque converter lockup stuff
          - adjust carb / timing a bit more (running a bit rich, cold idle runs weird)
          - install door lock cylinders (don't like leaving my car unlocked all the time, ha)
          - cleanup some extra wiring in the engine bay
          - install interior rear view mirror

so all in all, car is running decent, not the fastest thing in the world, but still fun to drive, hoping to get some miles on it soon so that I can really work out the bugs to get it up to the M&G

hopefully some more updates to come very soon!!
          MP81 likes this.

Comment

• Glad to hear she's alive and kicking, and on track to be at the Meet and Greet.
            DynoDave
            POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

• another update,

went through my list of things today and made a lot of progress, still some electrical gremlins that are causing me a headache, I replaced all the exterior bulbs and flashers, and my issue has changed, instead of not having a left turn signal, I now blow my signal fuse every time i try to use the left signal, thinking a wire is either rubbing somewhere and is grounded out, or i have a bad ground somewhere. I installed my seatbelts, got the radio installed (only have one speaker, but the amp button appears to actually turn the amp on!), rear view mirror is in, and most everything on that list done.

I decided to install headers too, I have this partially done, the old y-pipe is off, I have the driver side header installed, just need to swap the passenger side and put the new y-pipe in, all in all making great progress, hoping to have the last few things bolted up and done here shortly, the car won't be 100% done (interior plastics won't be in, weatherstripping won't be done, wiring won't be fully finished, etc), but It will make it to the meet and greet (assuming nothing major happens with the car)

super excited to really drive this thing! woohoo!
              Attached Files
              92conv likes this.

Comment

• Looks great! You're a bit closer than I am to a running vehicle.
                Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

• Originally posted by MP81 View Post
                  Looks great! You're a bit closer than I am to a running vehicle.
                  thanks! haha, nice thing is that whoever had the car before already stripped the smog stuff off so that was easy, plus third gen cars are super easy to swap these in on, your car looks a bit more involved.

Comment

• I can guarantee having all the smog stuff off already was definitely a help.

It wasn't hard, per se, just a lot of work. A lot of working through the wheel wells, turn the wrench 5 degrees, reposition it, turn it another 5 degrees, drop it 12 times, you know - the usual. But I only had one AIR nut give me trouble (took it off with channel locks) - the rest all came off without any issues. Broke no bolts on the entirety of the exhaust, actually.

But again - just a lot of work. And still a lot of shit in the way - maybe because of having A/C.

Comment

• Small update:

have he headers and exhaust on, have a small leak so it will probably sound like crap at the meet and greet, but it will be there!

I still have to do 2 more things, which should take no more than maybe an hour or 2, I need to top off my rear diff fluid and finish wiring in my torque converter lockup controller. I gave the car a good washing yesterday, degreased and washed the engine/bay a bit yesterday, it doesn't look great, but its not as bad as it was haha. the interior is still mostly ripped out, but who cares, I'm just ready to cruise!

92conv likes this.

Comment

• Engine bay looks real clean. Easy to do with a carb and electronics?

Comment

• Originally posted by MP81 View Post
                          Engine bay looks real clean. Easy to do with a carb and electronics?
                          I took the air cleaner off, and stuck a garbage bag over the carb and distributor, put any other open plugs/wiring out of the way that I was concerned about, sprayed the engine bay down with some purple power, let it soak a bit, scrubbed where i could get the crappy brush i had, hosed it down, used my air compressor to blow it all dry

started right back up, no issues. its not the best scrub job, but I was losing sunlight quickly last night when i was trying to get it done.

Comment

• Looks good Jeremy!! Glad to hear it's back on the road, and you're able to begin enjoying it.

Hoping to see it, and all the work/progress you've made with it, on Saturday.
                            West Michigan Pontiac Club

"A Camaro looks like it can kick your a**, a Trans Am is coming over to do it"

Comment

• You must have left before I got to the show. Sorry I missed you.

How'd the car do on it's first major voyage in a verrrrry long time?
                              West Michigan Pontiac Club

"A Camaro looks like it can kick your a**, a Trans Am is coming over to do it"

Comment

• Originally posted by 92conv View Post
                                You must have left before I got to the show. Sorry I missed you.

How'd the car do on it's first major voyage in a verrrrry long time?
                                we left around noon i think, I was looking for you, but wasn't sure what you were driving in haha!

it drove really good actually, had no real complaints with it, cruised consistently on the highway at 70-80mph with no issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X