X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Project] The Red Beast - 2002 Camaro "RS" V6 - Bright Rally Red

I decided it was finally time to document the history and progress of my 2002 V6 vert.

In The Beginning...

Probably back around mid to late 2008, I started to get serious about what to do about my aging daily driver, a 1999 Cadillac DeVille Concours with the 300 HP Northstar V8. Northstars are infamous for their oil consumption and leaks, as well as their propensity to lunch on coolant, and otherwise be big expensive money pits that are no longer worth maintaining.

Add to this the spectre of $4.00/gallon gasoline, and Premium Fuel Only ("Dude!") at that...

Things were already starting to look grim around GM, and I figured that rather than go further into debt for a new car or for even a nice used car, I would buy something cheap for cash that I could have fun with. The list was quickly narrowed as I laid down my wish list: GM-made, convertible, and economical. Corvettes were not practical, so they were never really in the picture -- not to mention the inability to get a decent one for cheap, much less be able to insure one. I looked at the Cavaliers too, but most of them had the living tar beat out of them already, and they also had a kind of a "white trash" image.

Soon I settled on the Camaro. Our family had a history of Camaros, as between my dad, my two brothers, me, and a sister in law, we had owned 6 Camaros so far. You can see most of these cars in my Photo Album. (CAM 4, my car's first nickname until I found out about it's notorious Internet connotation, was supposed to acknowledge it as the 4th Camaro in the succession, but for whatever reason we did not count all of the earlier cars!)

I was shopping exclusively for 4th Gens. It had a good size and decent safety ratings, had a folding rear seat for occasional haulling, had a respectible trunk, was simple rear wheel drive, was a fun chassis that drove well and had lots of potential for making your own mods, still looked good after being out of production for 6 years, had collector potential, and was available with either a sweet V8 or a sensible V6. My search began with me looking at Z28s, but as the economy later tightened and the possibility of me having to leave Michigan loomed in the background, I soon started to look in earnest for V6s.

I officially joined MiFBody.com on July 6, 2008, at the suggestion of Brian (bri2203) of MasterWorks, and Randy of Continental Bike Shop and EMCC. I'd known Brian's dad maybe even before Brian was born, as I had first bought stainless steel sleeved disc brake calipers for my 1974 Corvette from his dad back in 1983. Sometime around the GM Shutdown in July of 2008 I was at MasterWorks helping a buddy drop off a car for some work, and when I mentioned that I was looking around for a Camaro, Brian told me that he had just recently gotten rid of a Camaro V6 hardtop. So Brian quickly became my "4th Gen guru" and source of info on what to look for, the trouble spots, etc.

I visited the MiFBody site a few times back then, but the forum format wasn't intuitive to me at first, and the car ads seemed kinda sparse -- especially for verts -- so I don't think I even posted between my first introduction thread until August of 2009! And I think that was because I met Kolin and his 2000 SS at Papa John's on August 25, 2009, when Papa John's owner John Schnatter gave one free pie to Camaro owners who brought their cars to their local PJ's, to celebrate the rediscovery and repurchase of Schlatter's prized 1971 Z/28. But a lot of interesting stuff happened in between...
    Last edited by ktl711; September 22nd, 2017, 03:15 PM.

"PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals" -- 1977z28Will

A Little Backstory to The Red Beast

My brother in 1976 and the car we call CAM 1 (even though my dad had already owned and sold a 1968 Camaro vert, red with 327 V8 and PowerGlide) We still have CAM 1 in the family, although I refer to it (WITH LOVE) as "The Rolling Dumpster." My bro still needs to put two kids through private school as well as college before he can think about restoring CAM 1. Camaro - 11-2002.jpg

CAM 2 was a 1976 Rally Sport that my younger brother bought from my sister in law as a DD replacement for CAM 1. I don't have any photos of CAM 2, but here below is CAM 3, my 1985 IROC-Z with a carbureted 305 and a 5-speed manual. Great car, but the 5.0L Mustang ponies all ate my lunch. I needed a TPI so bad I could taste it, but I did enjoy the car nonetheless. This pic is shot around 1989 in front of my former house in Haslett outside of East Lansing.
    Haslett House with CAM3 Web 2.jpg

Last edited by ktl711; September 22nd, 2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Cool story Kevin! And so nicely articulated as well I think you made the right choice with your 4th gen for sure. Now how about your future plans for the car?

Comment

Finding The Red Beast

When the economy really started to tank in late 2008 and early 2009, it looked like I could really be out of a job at GM. If that were to come to pass, with my house value being all upside down, it caused the search for a Camaro to take a different and more ominous tone. It wasn't just to be a fun replacement commuter car, but it also be the one thing that I pack up with what I could, sell the rest on eBay or craigslist, then leave the house keys on the counter and literally drive off into the West.

My eBay, AutoTrader.com and Cars.com searches had yielded a number of interesting cars, including a really nice looking white vert in Colorado with the 5-speed manual, but I had only found two local V6 Camaros that had been worth checking out in person; there was a spotless silver 1998 vert in Sterling Heights that I soon figured out had been in a serious accident, and a pretty ratty, high-mileage 2002 SOM vert that a dealer in Davison was asking far too much for.

The holidays passed, and the grim year of 2009 was underway. Quarterly departmental meetings became death marches, with directors using the time to tell us what the new quotas were, and how many more people still had to go.

On Sunday, January 25, 2009, about in the midst of GM's slow descent into bankruptcy, I got an email from my friend Bret who worked for the VW of America Group in Herndon VA. Turns out he had seen a 2002 V6 Camaro vert on eBay that was sitting at a dealer about 7 miles from his house. Since he had just recently moved there and had no friends there yet, he had plenty of time on his hands. He took this as an opportunity to go out and have some fun by checking out the car, and then he sent me a report before I had even seen the auction!

The car was at Tysons Ford, and although the miles (almost 159K) on the car were shockingly high, it looked like it would respond well to a good detailling and the price seemed to be right.

Unfortunately, Bret sent me the notice about 3 hours after the auction closed, however, the car hadn't reached reserve and had already been relisted by the dealer. Bret's initial inspection showed that there didn't appear to be any rust on the car anywhere (turns out it had always been a Virginia car), but needed a major detailing inside. The dealer wasn't open on Sunday so he wasn't able to hear it run or check for any weirdness underhood, but he correctly assumed that it would need an underhood steam cleaning too. The top was in very good condition, and there were a few scratches that would not buff out (looked like the car was keyed at some time in its life). There was damage to the right door and rear quarter, where the previous owner had a parking lot altercation with another passenger car.

Carfax showed 2 owners previous to the Ford dealer, both in Virginia. It also showed 1 accident, with a hit on the right front.

Bret placed a bid on the car just to keep track of it, and made plans to go back on Monday night when they were open late to take a better look.

I received a slew of photos from that second visit, and Bret even got to start it and drive it inside the storage facility. His report was still quite favorable, so I went ahead and bid on it.

Yet, somehow I lost track of the auction that ended on February 1 (MAJOR FAIL) and I ended up getting outbid by someone who hit the "Buy It Now" button. But if l have learned anything about dealing with eBay over the years, it's that there are more deadbeats and people who don't honor their committments than you can shake a stick at. So, I called the dealer and left a message to contact me in case the sale did not go through -- and sure enough, the buyer backed out, and I could have the car for the deadbeat's winning bid price if I wanted it!

The first cash that changed hands for the car was on February 10, 2009, via PayPal. Bret said he would pick the car up and pay the balance, and I could just pay him back that weekend when he planned to drive it back to Detroit. He brought it to Michigan on Friday the 13th but thankfully I didn't see it until the next day! Technically, he didn't even make it to Detroit until the 14th, as the alternator decided to puke on the Ohio Turnpike, and so he had to wait until he could get to an auto parts store to get a rebuilt replacement! By the time I saw my "new" Camaro, it had already cost me $135 in parts, $108 in towing, $23 in fuel, plus the balance of the $3,600 purchase price and $100 in document fees -- a grand total of $3,866 delivered!

My first view of The Red Beast, though Bret's camera lens:

DSC04444.jpg

Expenses in this section:

Tysons Ford - Initial Deposit ---------------------------------- February 10, 2009 ------- $100.00
        Tysons Ford - Balance Due ----------------------------------- February 10, 2009 ----- $3500.00
        Tysons Ford - Document Fees ------------------------------- February 10, 2009 ------- $100.00
        Bret S. - Power Window Switch Retaining Clip ---------- February 11, 2009 ----------- $1.64
        Bret S. - Towing to move car off the Ohio Turnpike ----- February 14, 2009 ------- $108.00
        Bret S. - 1/2 cost of New Alternator & Battery Fee ------ February 14, 2009 ------- $135.00 *
        Bret S. - Gasoline for Trip -------------------------------------- February 14, 2009 -------- $23.00

* The other half of the parts were to be covered by the dealer's vehicle warranty
        Last edited by ktl711; September 22nd, 2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix_rising View Post
          Cool story Kevin! And so nicely articulated as well I think you made the right choice with your 4th gen for sure. Now how about your future plans for the car?
          Thanks for the compliments, Ben! I have over a year's worth of narrative to get through before I get to future plans, but I do intend to get there eventually! Be sure to subscribe to the thread!

Next chapter will likely be "The Inventory."

Comment

Great read so far! Looking forward to reading more.
            - Brian Meissen
            Owner, MiFBody.com
            Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
            2022 Camaro LT1 - "Cherry Bomb 2"
            Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2022
            June 4th, 2022 - 9am to 3pm!!!
            The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

Awesome story Kevin!
              Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Dude... Nice read! I cannot help but think you're missing your calling. Stephen King has nothing on you!

Originally posted by 81DaytonaPaceCar

Clamaped up tighter than a 15 year old on her first prom date...

Comment

The Inventory
                  (or, "Now what have I gotten myself into?!?)

I quickly discovered that getting a "new" Camaro (or any F-Body or other sports car, I'm sure) in the dead of a Michigan winter is a lot like meeting a really hot chick at a close relative's funeral, or receiving a razor, some deodorant, and a package of condoms for your 10th birthday -- it seems really exciting to you at the time, but it doesn't take long to realize that the timing is just plain awful.

So here we are, at the exact midpoint of February, and I find myself in possession of a red vert without a lick of rust on it, and sporting chrome wheels that would no doubt start to peel at the very breath of a few salt molecules. Add to that some Eagle GT tires that had a very suspect wear pattern on them, and you have a situation with "winter driving disaster movie" written all over it. At least it left me with plenty of time to take inventory, make plans, and do some very rudimentary repairs before the spring driving season began.

Well, first things first: make it presentable! My first real driving trip (if you can call it that) with the car was to drive it the two miles up the road to Motor City Auto Spa in Royal Oak, to get their complete "Auto Spa" package. I have to tell you, driving that Camaro for the first time felt just like I was piloting a fighter jet! The great driver's seating and positioning, that firmly-planted stance of the chassis, the full instrumentation with each MPH or every 10 RPMs receiving a tick mark on the gauge face for accuracy -- wow! Compared to the vagarities of what passed for instrumentation and controls in my Cadillac, I felt like I was behind the wheel of a precision machine!

The trip to Motor City Auto Spa set me back $214 clams, but it was definitely worth every bivalve. Compare the "Before" photo up above from in front of the dealership in Virginia, to the "after" photo below taken by Motor City Auto Spa owner Matt Lifter. To say that they transformed the car is a tremendous understatement! Camaro.jpg

I also had to make my pilgrimage down to the Secretary of State's office so I could do the title transfer, pay my tribute tax to Ms. Granholm, and formally make The Red Beast mine. Since I had Virginia temporary plates on a car that was for all intent and purposes in storage in my driveway, I didn't exactly rush to spend the money. On February 23, 2009, I paid a $15 title fee, $8 registration transfer, and $207.06 in tax to the State of Michigan, and three days later in return I received a green piece of official looking paper that confirmed my possession of a 2002 Camaro.

Meanwhile, my fingers had been busy doing the walking through the eBay pages, or anywhere else I thought I could find the many small bits that a neglectful second owner had savagely broken off the car. Even as early as February 10, I had already lined up a replacement center console cupholder ($26.95), both belt guides for the seat headrests, and the passenger side trim patch for where the outside rearview mirror mounts to the door ($61.92 for the lot).

So what did I really know about this car's history? Nosing around with the Camaro White Book by Mike Antonick, visiting various Camaro sites on the internet, and probing the GM warranty system at work, this is what I found.

My 2002 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible, model 1FP67, was the 70,091st F-Body built for the 2002 model year, and was produced on Wednesday, August 14, 2002. That's pretty close to the end of the line for the Camaro as we then knew it, because the absolute last Camaro and last F-Body (#72467) was only 2,376 units after mine. Production ended at the Sté. Thérése, Quebec plant forever on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 with a Bright Rally Red Z28 convertible. That car now resides at the GM Heritage Collection in Sterling Heights. Many of you MiFBody.com community members may recall seeing that car as well as the very last Firebird (also a vert) during the tour that Chris (DtRockstar1) arranged for us.

My car left the factory with just about every option available except for the engine block heater and the trunk-mounted CD changer. It had A/C, ebony leather, power everything, 500 watt Monsoon stereo, ASR, limited-slip differential, chrome wheels, and the Y87 performance handling package. It was delivered to Jim Price Chevrolet in Charlottesville, Virginia shortly after the build date, and it seems to have languished on their lot for about three months, as it was not recorded as sold until November 11, 2002.

The warranty record wasn't exactly squeeky clean, but it was nothing particularly damning -- a top latch was replaced at 5,615 miles, or less than a year later, along with window system wiring or connector repair. Two months later, or October 6, 2003, the top was aligned or adjusted. On December 29, 2004, the owner had the left front strut replaced under warranty, and also had the drivers side power window regulator replaced.

As far as CARFAX and I can tell, the original owner kept the car for five years and almost 88,000 miles before selling it to someone who should have never have had a nice car. We know that the second owner was a woman, and from the stains, the scratches, the broken bits, and the thick coating of nicotine throughout the car (I can't make this stuff up, people), she must have been a real Mother Theresa. The first owner had dealer receipts and dealer service done to the car, so the abuse that I found clearly came from this femme fatale. However, the reported accident occured in 2006 under the ownership of the original buyer. Maybe he felt his baby would never be the same and traded it for a new Monte Carlo?

Between 2007 and early 2009, the car took a swift and decisive course downhill. Cola, coffee, other fast food residues, cigarettes -- both spent and unspent (that's how I know she liked Marlboros) and all sorts of pet and human hair coated the interior. It was kinda like driving your own personal Petri dish, and smelled about as inviting as well. The drivers window had been smashed out at one time (they never even bothered to vacuum out all the broken glass either), and the car was keyed in three places -- perhaps this had been revenge against her for stealing other women's boyfriends at the local honky-tonk or whore-lounge? The rear bumper was hit at some point, and later replaced with an aftermarket cover that must have been sprayed with a Wal-Mart spray can just outside the woman's double-wide, in the dark, by her blind grandfather, when it was raining, and while Planet Mercury was in retrograde. The wheels had obviously not been aligned in many moons, a fact betrayed by the wear bars that showed on one edge of the Eagle GTs, while the opposite edge still had good tread.

But The Red Beast had come home to good hands, and I was committed to bringing it back to life again. Why, it's almost like I hear a song coming on...

Would someone buy that poor woman a sammich? C'mon Karen, eat something, it's not like it'll kill ya, fer cryin' out loud...
                  12b05l.jpg

Trans Am Creations - Center Console Cupholder --------- February 10, 2009 ----- $26.95
                  Brock's Camaro & Firebird - Belt Guides & Mirror Patch - February 11, 2009 ----- $61.92
                  Motor City Auto Spa - Detailing --------------------------------- February 17, 2009 ----- $214.00
                  Michigan Secretary of State - Title Fee ----------------------- February 23, 2009 ----- $15
                  Michigan Secretary of State - Registration Transfer ------- February 23, 2009 ----- $8
                  Michigan Secretary of State - Sales Tax ---------------------- February 23, 2009 ----- $207.06
                  Last edited by ktl711; September 22nd, 2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Dissecting the DNA of CAM 4
                    Miscellaneous notes and RPOs of the car

2002 Chevrolet Camaro RPO Codes for 2G1FP32KX22170091
                    #70,091 out of 72,467 total F-Bodies built for the 2002 model year
                    Built Wednesday, August 14, 2002, approximately 2 weeks before the plant closed

RPO -- Description ------------------------------------ Quantity ------ Cost

1FP87 Camaro Coupe ---------------------------------- 14,221 -- $18,455
                    1FP67 Camaro Convertible ------------------------------ 2,750 -- $26,450
                    1FP87 Camaro Z28 Coupe ----------------------------- 19,472 -- $22,870
                    1FP67 Camaro Z28 Convertible ------------------------- 5,333 -- $29,965

A31 Power Windows ---------------------------------- 38,007
                    AG1 Power Seat, 6-Way Driver Side ---------------- 30,676 -- $270.00
                    AU0 Remote Keyless Entry --------------------------- 37,133
                    AU3 Power Door Locks -------------------------------- 38,007
                    B84 Moldings, Body Side ------------------------------ 33,858 -- $60.00
                    C60 Air Conditioning ----------------------------------- 41,776
                    DG7 Mirrors, Electric Twin Remote ------------------ 37,652
                    K34 Speed Control, with Resume -------------------- 38,007
                    L36 Engine, 231ci (3.8L) 200hp V6 ------------------ 16,971
                    MX0 Transmission, Auto with OD -------------------- 29,034 -- $815.00
                    NW9 Acceleration Slip Regulation ------------------- 19,865
                    PW7 Chrome Wheels, 16" ---------------------------- 12,082 -- $725.00
                    T96 Fog Lamps ---------------------------------------- 37,855
                    UK3 Steering Wheel w/ redundant radio controls -- 28,567 -- $170.00
                    UN0 Delco Audyssey 200-watt Stereo w/ CD ------- 41,422 -- $450.00
                    Y87 Performance Handling Package (L36 V6 Only)
                    - includes limited-slip axle,
                    14.4:1 steering ratio,
                    & dual exhaust outlets --------------------------- 2,412 -- $275.00
                    --- Leather Seating ----------------------------------- 23,559 -- $500.00

------------------------------------------------------------ This car: $29,715.00

Other Codes on Car:

AK5 Driver & RF Passenger Air Bags
                    AR9 Bucket Seats w/Leather Trimmed Seating Surfaces
                    DL5 Roadside Service Decal
                    FE9 50-State Low-Emission Vehicle
                    F41 Ride & Handling Suspension
                    GU6 3:42 Ratio Rear Axle
                    G80 Limited-Slip Differential
                    IP2 Trim Interior Design - AR9
                    J65 Power Disc Frt & Rr Brakes
                    K68 105 Amp Generator
                    M30 4-Speed Electronic Autom Transmission w/OD
                    NF7 Federal Emission System NLEV
                    NP5 Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
                    QCB P235/55R-16 Radial Blackwall Tires
                    SLM Stock Orders
                    STE Ste. Therese Plant Code
                    T82 Twilight Sentinel Headlamps
                    UA6 Theft Deterrent Alarm System
                    UB3 Gage Package w/Tach
                    U59 Monsoon Premium Sound System w/8 Speakers & Aux. Amplifier
                    (base system convertible)
                    VK3 Frt License Plate Mount
                    VM3 Consumer Information Label
                    V73 Statement of Vehicle Certification - US/Canada
                    1SA Camaro Convertible Base Vehicle
                    1SZ Preferred Equipment Savings
                    19I Ebony Interior Trim
                    192 Ebony Leather
                    41T Black Convertible Top
                    6CD Comp Frt LH Computer Sel Susp
                    7CD Comp Frt RH Computer Sel Susp
                    8TK Rear Spring
                    81Q Bright Red Body Side Molding
                    81U Bright Rally Red
                    9TK Rear Spring

U8774 Paint Code
                    Last edited by ktl711; September 10th, 2010, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Very nice read Kevin! Dont stop keep going I know there is more to get this to present day.

Comment

Let The Games Begin!
                        Racking up bills and paying them off

So at this point in early March of 2009, I already have $827.16 into the car beyond the $3,600 purchase price and $100 in dealer documentation fees. Just after the purchase of the car, I went on an eBay spree that accumulated a better owners manual for $26.59. That was quickly followed with a Z28 red bow tie for the tail lamp panel at $5.99, acrylic black "CAMARO" letters also for the rear end at $54.98, and $58.00 for a console upper that did not have a broken ash tray lid and did not have heat imprints from some drunk chick's careless placement of the cigarette lighter element.

Now began the long, slow process that almost every guy knows -- at least those of us who have started a relationship with a fun, older used car -- the "sorting out" period. As we go through and isolate the reasons for that squeak or that vibration, we either get down and dirty with the parts and tools, or we wear out our debit and credit cards as we swipe them through the readers at the repair shops.

First stop was to see fellow F-Body owner (1968 Firebird vert) Marc over at Auto Lab about some engine roughness and to get the car thoroughly inspected. That visit only cost me $123.60 for a new coil. On the way home from the shop, I decided to get some adhesive from GNE Paint so I could install my bow tie ($29.03), and I also stopped at Murray's (R.I.P.) to get some low-beam Silverstars and some Bosch Icon wiper blades ($101.73). A second trip to Murray's for other bulbs (trunk lamp) racked up another $3.49.

More shopping over at www.gm-car-parts.com (Fresard Pontiac-Buick-GMC in Ferndale) to replace a missing hood bumper, replace cracked or missing wheel nut covers, and to try and properly attach the right front fender with a factory fastener! That trip cost me $32.84.

But wait, there's more! On March 18, I sent $526.59 to LMPerformance to buy a set of UMI tubular vert style sub-frame connectors, a J&M Products V6 strut tower brace, and an SLP "Bow Tie" style grille.

What? There's still some money left in the account by mid-March? Great! Let's go spend it! March 12 found me dumping money on Cleveland Pick-A-Part for a replacement passenger door that came from another Bright Rally Red vert. Sadly, it was from a 35th Anniversary Edition SS that had gotten accordioned on a freeway, but at least the door is doing well in its new assignment. The door itself was only $200, but I later had to get it installed, which is a whole 'nuther story we'll get to in a little bit!

Before the month was up, I had to make one more trip to Fresard to get another lug cap and another replacement fastener for $16.09

As you can guess, March 2009 was a very expensive month for me, taking a total bite of $1,152.34 out of my wallet!

April 2009 didn't start out much better. On the 2nd, I bought a pair of Infinity Kappa 652.9i speakers to replace the tattered Monsson speakers in my doors. That was a set-back of $129.99.

On April 7, with the spring weather looking clear, I took a day off from work to drive down to the Cleveland area to get my door installed. It was a great plan, anyway... It was gray and overcast with light rain in Detroit, and all went well until about the Cedar Point exit on the Turnpike, and then I started to experience Northeast Ohio's lake-effect snow. I'm on Eagle GTs that already have a somewhat suspect wear pattern on them, and now I'm on a turnpike with snow?!? I slowed way down, probably ticked some people off, but there were people spinning out everywhere. I sure as hell did not want to be the next casualty with my "new" Camaro!

My white knuckles got a reprieve when I finally reached my exit and I could get off the turnpike. Hallelujah! Now I could go at a safe pace for me and not worry about a ton of traffic -- or so I thought until I discovered that Ohio doesn't maintain their surface roads quite as well as they maintain the Turnpike! Now I'm driving in (read: plowing through) several inches of snow, and the car is not liking it. And neither am I. Eventually, though, I arrive safely at Cleveland Pick-A-Part. Several hours and $106.25 later, I had a beautiful "new" door where a cracked door had once been. The door came off of an unfortunate 35th Anniversary Edition SS that had gotten accordioned on a freeway. The Bright Rally Red paint was a perfect match, and the replaced door made the oil-canned right quarter panel not look as bad. That would be a repair that would wait for another day. While I was at it, I also bought a used drivers side power window regulator from the yard for $79.69.

Next up on my list of catching up on neglected maintenance, I took the Camaro into Harold's Frame Shop on April 10 for an alignment and wheel balancing. All it needed besides the alignment was one Moog tie rod end, so i got out fairly cheaply at $179.07.

As is customary with our 4th Gens, my Camaro was exhibiting extreme slowness in its driver's side power window motor. Starting to doubt my wisdom in buying a used regulator instead of a new one, I hedged my bets by ordering up a new one from Rock Auto for $135.08.

Too bad it was for the wrong side...

Auto Lab came back to collect more of the freely-spent money that they heard I was giving out. The car started throwing the "SECURITY" and "CHECK ENGINE" lights, and they would not go out. I noticed a sharp rise in temperature on the instrument panel gauge one morning, and before I could get the car turned around it went back down to normal. The driver's window also seemed like it was on the verge of failure, so I decided to take the car in, have them troubleshoot the lights, check out the cooling system, and install the regulator. The main issues turned out to be a worn-out ignition lock cylinder and a bad thermostat. That visit alone resulted in a $661.59 tab.

So we close Month #3 of CAM 4 ownership with an additional cost of $1,291.67.

No one ever said that love would be easy... Still, I needed CAM 4 to be ready in case the goons with the two boxes were to show up at my desk while a director invites me to join them in a conference room to review some exit paperwork. 2009 was an extremely stressful year, living in constant doubt about the survival prospects for GM, for Detroit, and for me, all while watching a lot of good colleagues disappear with the two goon/two box escort. As the months passed, I repeatedly said to myself and others that CAM 4 was about the only good thing that happened to me in 2009. Well, that and becoming active in MiFBody!

W. Howell - 2002 Camaro Owners Manual w/portfolio -------------------------- February 11, 2009 ----- $25.59

Space Coast Motor Works - Z28 Red Bow Tie ------------------------------------ March 2, 2009 ------------ $5.99
                        Auto Lab - Ignition Coil ------------------------------------------------------------------- March 7, 2009 -------- $123.60
                        GNE Paint Centers - 3M Press-in-place Adhesive -------------------------------- March 7, 2009 --------- $29.03
                        Murray's Discount Auto - Silverstar Low Beam Bulbs & Wiper Blades ------ March 7, 2009 --------- $101.73
                        Fresard - Lug Caps, Hood Bumper, Fender Retainer ---------------------------- March 9, 2009 ---------- $32.84
                        Cleveland Pick-A-Part - Passenger Side Door------------------------------------- March 12, 2009 ------- $200.00
                        Space Coast Motor Works - Upper Console --------------------------------------- March 13, 2009 --------- $58.00
                        LMPerformance - Grille, Sub-Frame Connectors, and Strut Tower Brace -- March 18, 2009 ------- $526.59
                        Fresard - Lug Cap and Retainer ------------------------------------------------------- March 23, 2009 --------- $16.09

Crutchfield - Infinity Kappa 652.9i speakers ----------------------------------------April 2, 2009 ------------ $129.99
                        Cleveland Pick-A-Part - Passenger Side Door Installation --------------------- April 7, 2009 ------------ $106.25
                        Cleveland Pick-A-Part - Drivers Side Power Window Regulator ------------- April 7, 2009 -------------- $79.69
                        Harold's Frame Shop - Alignment, Wheel Balancing, Tie Rod End ---------- April 10, 2009 ---------- $179.07
                        Rock Auto - Passengers Side Power Window Regulator ----------------------- April 15, 2009 ---------- $135.08
                        Auto Lab - T-stat, Upr Hose, Ignition Switch, Install LH Regulator ----------- April 21, 2009 ---------- $661.59

CAM 4 immediately after installing the SLP Bow Tie grille IMG_1075.JPG.jpg
                        Last edited by ktl711; September 22nd, 2017, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Now I'm getting the full affect and can see the past, present, and future of the vert. Very good read...thanks Kevin! I know there's more to come!

Comment

Thanks Ben! It's fun to go back over this stuff and see where I've been already -- but it's not so much fun to see how much money I've already spent on my "cheap" used car!

Comment

Originally posted by ktl711 View Post
                              Thanks Ben! It's fun to go back over this stuff and see where I've been already -- but it's not so much fun to see how much money I've already spent on my "cheap" used car!
                              Yeah I know how you feel there, but one thing I must say. Try finding a new car that would fill the void cheaper. Even with about $15,000 into my car that is still far cheaper than buying a new camaro or mustang. Plus your car looks so much better Imo. You need to get that hood installed and some 1.5" drop springs would be nice too.

Comment

Working...
                              X