X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrous pistons...

It's time to order some pistons. Building a 355 with stock crank, forged eagle I beam rods (5.7), and forged pistons. But which pistons is the question. The plan is to spray a 150 shot (for now) with the direct port wet kit I currently have. After doing a LOT of reading I was set on forged SRP professional pistons, but I'm not sure if they are the best for nitrous. Also looked into Wiesco and Ross as well. All are relatively close in price so just trying figure out which ones to go with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I'll be interested to see what people suggest here. I know next to nothing about nitrous, but I thought a strong piston was a strong piston was a (C/R, quench, etc not withstanding)....and that top ring gap was the real key to a long life with nitrous.
    DynoDave
    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

150 shot isn't going to scratch the surface of what basically any shelf 2618 piston can take.

Find something in the compression ratio you're looking for and let it ride.

Put a nice radius on the valve pocket edges with a tootsie roll when you get them and install.

If you don't have the rods yet I'd put a 6.000" rod in it while your at it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackJesus
        150 shot isn't going to scratch the surface of what basically any shelf 2618 piston can take. Find something in the compression ratio you're looking for and let it ride. Put a nice radius on the valve pocket edges with a tootsie roll when you get them and install. If you don't have the rods yet I'd put a 6.000" rod in it while your at it.
        See most of the pistons I was looking at are 4032, which a few of are high silicon... I know most 2618 pistons are much better for spray but the cost reflects that. And it seems 6 inch rods are pretty common. Must be a good reason for that! Thank you Jesus lol Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

id suggest something along the lines of hellfire rings as well and gap them appropriately, stock bottoms have taken way more than that and held together, predet and ring gap are your destroyers of engines.
          Z28Zac likes this.
          91 Trans am, 305, Lt1 cam, 24lb injectors, headers, SLP LM2, SW chassis, massive panhard, lowered, modded TPI, Tuned, 4.10s, Lincoln locked
          85 Z28 406/th400?/3.42 4th gen disc rear/4th gen dash
          00 Tahoe Z71........Stock
          97 K1500 lt4 cam, 1.6s, MPFI, Solid axled, IROKs,------winter beater

Comment

Even a good 4032 piston will take some nitrous. The problem with 4032 is if you miss the tune up you'll end up with a pile of aluminum pieces in the pan.

How much are you looking to spend?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackJesus
              Even a good 4032 piston will take some nitrous. The problem with 4032 is if you miss the tune up you'll end up with a pile of aluminum pieces in the pan. How much are you looking to spend?
              I'd like to stay under 800ish with rings... that's why I was leaning towards a 2618, sounds like they are a bit more forgiving. Also because I'd like to be able to spray more later on down the road and not have to buy a new set. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X