X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new exhaust recommendations

I have been 'encouraged' by the people around me to look into different exhaust solutions for my firebird. Currently I have LT, ORY and a borlamounth. Its basically a straight shot, with a straight through bullet, and with the addition of the torquer v4 and a few other things, the volume got turned up a little but. I do quite like it, but with moving to an apartment I am willing to consider that it might be a little loud. I am looking for a different cat back, and looking for recommendations/if anyone has a used setup for sale. And once it is replaced I will have the current 'borlamouth' up forsale.

I am working on a budget, so used is probably preferable. I have been looking at the madhammer/gmmg setup, and I am a fan. But by the time I get the exhaust, maybe an additional resonator, and corsa like tips I'd be far more into it than I would like to be at this point in time.
    1998 Pontiac Firebird T/A, M6, LT Headers, ORY, Borlamouth, tubular LCA and Panhard bar, lowered 1.5". More to come

What kind of a budget are you working with? It will help narrow down some choices.

Looking to go catted Y-pipe? That is gonna bump the cost up a couple hundred right away, but get the quieter sound you need for the apartments. That could be an option, of just adding cats to your existing exhaust?
    Jason Ebig
    Federal Firearms/Class 3 Dealer
    $20 Firearm Transfers
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ZYA_LTR View Post
      What kind of a budget are you working with? It will help narrow down some choices.

Looking to go catted Y-pipe? That is gonna bump the cost up a couple hundred right away, but get the quieter sound you need for the apartments. That could be an option, of just adding cats to your existing exhaust?
      That is something I haven't really considered, a catted y pipe may be a good option and ill have to look into it. I am not exactly one that feels like I have to smell unburnt gas to get the full experience. Id like to be into this only a Couple hundred more than I am right now, after selling whatever I take off. So If I sell the catback Id probably would want to keep its replacement in the neighborhood of $400.
      1998 Pontiac Firebird T/A, M6, LT Headers, ORY, Borlamouth, tubular LCA and Panhard bar, lowered 1.5". More to come

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the SLP dual/dual if you can find one. One of the best flowing yet quietest catbacks out there. Would sound great with a cam. Definitely noticeable but very refined. Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pferris View Post

That is something I haven't really considered, a catted y pipe may be a good option and ill have to look into it. I am not exactly one that feels like I have to smell unburnt gas to get the full experience. Id like to be into this only a Couple hundred more than I am right now, after selling whatever I take off. So If I sell the catback Id probably would want to keep its replacement in the neighborhood of $400.
          If your looking to spend $400, then the SLP TOTL is an awesome option, and if you can't find a used SLP setup, Spintech is making a copy of that setup that is in your price range.

The option still is there for a couple hundred plus labor, you could add cats and quiet it down a bit too.

I have a GMMG/Madhammer setup on my car right now with the resonator in the I-pipe, flowmaster merge ORY, and Corsa clone tips. It sounds great, but i have been kicking around the idea of either the Spintech dual/dual, or a set of true duals, either the Hooker or Speed Engineering duals. I would sell my existing setup, but it would definitely be north of $400 unfortunately. Just can't seem to bring myself to sell the GMMG setup, as i have it sounding just the way i like it having spent the money for the bullet/flowmaster merge, but would like to quiet the car down a bit, so the Spintech setup or a TD setup with larger rear mufflers would do just that.
          Jason Ebig
          Federal Firearms/Class 3 Dealer
          $20 Firearm Transfers
          sigpic

Comment

I have looked at the speed engineering dual setups yesterday, I do wish they had that last year when I bought by headers and y-pipe from them. A modified version of that would be great. I may, and quite probably will spend more than $400, it seems any budget I set for this car gets ignored later on

I do like the noise, but I also have tossed around the idea of selling it, and would like to be able to drive it without pissing people off, so quieting it down does have to happen.

Comment

Put cats back on it. It'll be quieter, the quality of the sound is better, and it smells less.

Comment

Being in lansing, does anyone have a good shop to have exhaust work done at?

Comment

Putting cats on will help but it's not a dramatic change at all. If anything it just tames certain frequency ranges
                  1994 Z28 - 2002 M3 - 2015 1.0T Mileage Accumulator

sigpic

Comment

SLP DUAL / DUAL is one of the best flowing ehausts and it is not too loud.

Comment

its a little more money, but the Hooker Blackhawk true duals (out the rear) is a great system Atrus on here has one.
                      When in doubt, Whip it out !

Comment

I had got a pretty good deal on a magnaflow, and have been happy with it. I would like to have my corsa style tips back though

Comment

None of the exhausts that include a Y pipe sound good. I have tried lots to change my sound but still don't like the sound. Have long tubes and ory. Started with Flowmaster cat back then put a Powerstick muffler in the I pipe. Then put on a Magnaflow muffler. Then took off the tips and put on turndowns. A true Frankenstein. And still not happy.

Comment

That's a lot o experimenting Don. What sounds are you going for? If you like loud and aggressive, I would have thought the Powersticks would have done it.
                            DynoDave
                            POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

main problem was the rasp which is now gone, but I'm used to the old school dual exhaust sound. Trying to decide if I want to pony up the $800 for the Hooker blackheart system

Comment

Working...
                              X