Battery relocation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery relocation

Decided to move my battery to the spare tire compartment just to free up some space up front and move some weight to the back. I was about to order the BMR battery tray but $120 just seems like a lot... any other options out there for f-bodys? Or has anyone made one? Did some Internet searching but didn't find much. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I bought a sealed aluminum battery box then bolted it to the frame rail in the spare tire well using a thick piece of angle aluminum. Came out nice. Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Z28Zac likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie2000 View Post
      I bought a sealed aluminum battery box then bolted it to the frame rail in the spare tire well using a thick piece of angle aluminum. Came out nice. Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
      I did basically the same thing. If you plan on taking the car to the track, you will need a battery disconnect switch at the rear of the car to pass tech. The switch will need to be accessible from outside the rear of the car, and labeled. It will need to kill all electrical when turned off. Which means the alternator main lead will need to be run to the rear of the car and ran through the switch.
      Z28Zac likes this.

Comment

Starting to think a box might be the way to go, there's some nice ones out there for less money than the tray. And from the sounds of it you need a sealed box to go with the battery disconnect to pass tech anyway. Looks like I'll be getting a box... appreciate the insight guys, thanks! Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Just put a lithium battery up front and don't worry about it. I have this one and it works well

https://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Phosp...battery+240cca
          1994 Z28 - 2002 M3 - 2015 1.0T Mileage Accumulator

sigpic

Comment

idk why (im sure I need more grounds) but when I put my battery in the spare tire area my my car ran rough.

Comment

Originally posted by landstuhltaylor View Post
              Just put a lithium battery up front and don't worry about it. I have this one and it works well

https://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Phosp...battery+240cca
              I've been considering this for a while. I see the one you bought has 240cca's. Is that enough? Seems like it would struggle to turn the car over. I'm curious about these though. Was just leery about the cranking amps.
              Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter ORY, full MSD ign., 2 step, rear LCA's, SFC's, B&M Ripper, poly motor mounts, Nitto NT05R's, WS6 wheels, KYB AGX adj. suspension, Eibach Sprotline springs, Trickflow elbow w/K&N, All HVAC deleted w/ delete panel, no AIR, No EGR

96 Z28 Camaro M6
              2008 Silverado quad cab LTZ

Comment

I've completely drained it when the alternator died which is supposed to kill them but it still starts like a champ. Can turn over a bit slow if it hasn't been started in a while, but successive starts light right off. The battery is stronger if you warm it up a bit with some load first. Has never failed to start the car in as low as 20 degree weather. We will see what it does in cold temps with E85 at some point...
                1994 Z28 - 2002 M3 - 2015 1.0T Mileage Accumulator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X