SSBC Brakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSBC Brakes

Anybody have any experience with SSBC brakes?

I can't really seem to find a completely true consensus online as to how they truly perform, but they've been around for a while now, so I have to imagine they're not complete garbage.
    Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

I thought they had some decent stuff. Haven't actually used them myself but have shopped their site for ideas when I had my 78' T/A.
    My Toys: Hugger Orange 1999 Z28 6-Spd Twin Turbo
    1937 Chevy Extended Cab Pick-up (One of a kind)
    Future Toy: Orange Ultima GTR or SLC

Comment

Why do you ask?

Comment

Originally posted by bri2203 View Post
        Why do you ask?
        Cobalt really needs a brake upgrade, the little 10" rotors up front overheat (and then hot spot/"warp") almost instantly. SSBC is the only one who offers a rear disc conversion for 4-lug.

I had been looking at SSBCs, then I started looking at the larger TCE (Wilwood) kits (only for five lug, but I'm pretty sure the hats would be the same dimensions, so you could switch them to 4-lug) - but I'd have to get some kind of bracket (or change the rear beam to a disc-brake car) to mount the calipers to. The SSBCs come with one.

Comment

Originally posted by MP81 View Post
          Cobalt really needs a brake upgrade, the little 10" rotors up front overheat (and then hot spot/"warp") almost instantly. SSBC is the only one who offers a rear disc conversion for 4-lug.

I had been looking at SSBCs, then I started looking at the larger TCE (Wilwood) kits (only for five lug, but I'm pretty sure the hats would be the same dimensions, so you could switch them to 4-lug) - but I'd have to get some kind of bracket (or change the rear beam to a disc-brake car) to mount the calipers to. The SSBCs come with one.
          S10's also came with 10" brakes and they weigh more than a cobalt.

Have you looked into cryogenic brake rotors? As you know rear brakes only provide 25% of the braking system so upgrading the rears might not be very beneficial

Comment

Originally posted by bri2203 View Post
            S10's also came with 10" brakes and they weigh more than a cobalt.

Have you looked into cryogenic brake rotors? As you know rear brakes only provide 25% of the braking system so upgrading the rears might not be very beneficial
            Yeah, but they can't go as fast, and generally aren't being driven the same way. If the car didn't need larger brakes, the SS/TC would not have them.

I've heard about them (cryo rotors), but really hadn't looked into it.

If I had 5-lugs (I'm not swapping all my hubs, the rear beam, and my wheels, so this will always be hypothetical), I'd do the smart thing and upgrade to the LNF Brembos.
            Last edited by MP81; December 15th, 2016, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X