Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use liquid nails to glue strips of MDF to the body. Screw the box/brackets/whatever into those strips. The liquid nails is very strong, I used the subfloor type when I did this in my truck for an amp rack on the back wall of the cab.

(click to enlarge)

Last edited by birdie2000; January 20th, 2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

There ya go. Thinking outside the box. My rack is pretty secure. My box is just laying there loose. (Cant believe I just type that) The box is what I need to secure. I am pretty much resigned to the L brackets and screws.

Comment

That's what I'm saying, use that same principle with the box somehow. Screw those L brackets into wood glued to the car in some way instead of through the body.

Comment

Ah, ok, I see what you are getting at. That has possibilities.

Comment

That's how my amp is currently secured in that area. 3/4" MDF sheet is glued down, amp screwed into that.
            2000 SS Convertible #1414 - Light Pewter 6 Speed

Comment

Rather than just stuffing the box in the hatch, i'd recommend building a false floor and mounting the box that way. At my old shop we would use hurricane fasteners. Typical screws would eventually back out of thin mdf after abuse with the bass / vibration / michigan humidity / etc.

Comment

So, a little update. Last week I tweeked my amp gains a bit. And today I blew a front speaker.s S.o.b!

Comment

The plot thickens. I not only blew a speaker I cooked at least one crossover killed a speaker and a tweeter, to the point I get no sound out of them. Blew a speaker . But in the bright side one tweeter is still functioning.

Happily, Crutchfield is sending me another complete components set. Scores!

Comment

New component set showed up yesterday. Hoping to install friday. I love Crutchfield. They make it too easy.

Comment

Thats waaaaaayyyyy better! There must have been something wrong with that first set. These are fantastic.

Comment

Well.it happened again! Blew up a crossover and a rear speaker. Talked with a rep.at Crutchfield ,his opinion is the amp is leaking a/c signal into the output. That is whats is blowing the speakers. So all new components are being shipped to replace the old.stuff.
                        I love Crutchfield. And Im not a shamed.to.say it

Comment

I arrived home from work yesterday to find a package on my porch. New speakers , new front components, and a new amp. As the way things go, it turns out the old amp had been discontinued, for some reason . The new one that replaces it in the Sound Ordinance line up was substituted without my knowledge. Im not sure if you can tell but there seems to have been some subtle changes to the unit, see if you can spot them!
                          20150918_190949.jpg

Installation took a good chunk of the day, trying to install in between thunder storms, and parts sales. It sounds great. I set it up a bit on the conservative side, Ill probably tweak it a little more later. It is also very apparent that the new unit uses way less power. The old unit would pull the amp meter down to 10 volts at a stop light with the lights on. This one runs just a shade under 13.
                          Last edited by zeeman; September 19th, 2015, 09:39 PM.

Comment

I hate to admit it. But I am not perfect. I know, I know... hard to believe, but it is true. You see, my subs have never really hit like I thought they would, when I built the box. I mean there was bass but not the thumping bass I was looking for. So I started looking at it yesterday. I pulled the wires off of one speaker and it was louder.....? It shouldnt get louder with half the speakers.... wtf? So, I reversed the wires on the disconected speaker and bingo! I pulled the speaker out and sure enough I wired it in reverse. This is the system I thought I built over the winter. Only took me all Summer to get it dialed in and tweeked.....

Comment

Originally posted by zeeman View Post
                              Wow....smaller size, less weight, less draw...can't beat that!
                              DynoDave
                              POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Amen! its awesome now.... finally. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X