X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump replacement

Anyone is the Holland / Grand Haven area interested in helping with a fuel pump replacement? This is the first vehicle I've worked on, I'm teaching myself as I go. I've been reading what the job entails... its a bit intimidating. Willing to compensate for the help. I'd like to get it done by the 12th, it's my birthday and I have plans for a day cruise with some friends.

89 IROC

Can still do the trap door on the 3rd gens correct?
    1997 Trans Am
    T56 swap. LS1 Cosmetics

Comment

Please don't cut your floor to do a fuel pump.

Comment

I cut hole in floor to do fuel pump, its not a big deal but saves a lot of time and trouble dropping tank and fighting rusted strap bolts. You just have to make sure you reseal the floor board hole good so no exhaust creeps in.
        sigpic
        1998 Trans Am Convertible A4 - WS6 hood, WS6 air lid, WS6 rims, drilled/slotted rotors.

Comment

That's a half aced repair in my book. No offense aimed at anybody, but I'm not one for furthering the negative stigma associated with third gens. Do it right or find somebody who cares enough to!

Comment

When my IROC needed a new pump, I wasn't quite as able as I am now, but the guy who did it for me dropped the tank instead of cutting the hole.

He said he would never do that again.

Unless you purposely do a shitty job, I consider the hole method completely legit. Keep in mind, many vehicles come from the factory with access panels in the floors where the fuel pump is. This is really no different in my opinion.
            Gone but not forgotten: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

"You shall ride eternal. Shiny and chrome."

Comment

Originally posted by ruckusz28 View Post
              That's a half aced repair in my book. No offense aimed at anybody, but I'm not one for furthering the negative stigma associated with third gens. Do it right or find somebody who cares enough to!
              Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one. Its a valid short cut method.
              sigpic
              1998 Trans Am Convertible A4 - WS6 hood, WS6 air lid, WS6 rims, drilled/slotted rotors.

Comment

It's a lazy man's solution.

Comment

I've done it 3 times and to me is the ONLY way to go, GM screwed up by not putting access panel above fuel tank opening.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 98blackbeauty View Post
                    Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one.

Personally, I'm with Mike, with a qualifier. IF you have the ability to cut the hole neatly, flange it, and fabricate a new plate large enough and straight enough to properly cover the hole and seal against the flange, and fasten this properly (short machine screws into welded nuts or at a minimum rivnuts) to create an air tight/liquid fuel tight (accident) seal, then I'd be OK with it. THAT would be replicating the way GM should have done it, and DID do it on some cars. Short of that, I'm not a fan. And I have yet to see one done to that standard. To me, it would take a donor section of floor from a like vehicle to create a properly sealing, properly shaped access panel.

By the time you could do all of that work properly, you could have just dropped the tank.

DynoDave
                    POCI # 72200

1988 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Comment

Originally posted by ruckusz28 View Post
                      I'm not one for furthering the negative stigma associated with third gens.
                      It could be argued that the 4th gens are the current turds

Comment

Well yeah, I'd expect that from a forth gen turd now lol

Comment

Working...
                        X