Lets Talk Guns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets Talk Guns

Chad, I know you'll chime in but I don't know about anyone else.

There has been a string of recent crimes around here lately; breaking and entering, robberies at gunpoint, even a murder only a few blocks from where my girlfriend lives. I am juggling the idea of getting my concealed carry permit and protecting my home, myself, and those around me in a greater manner. I think I have a pretty solid baseball swing and a piece of heavy duty lumber just in case, but lets be real- "that's no match for a good blaster at your side" (Chad, you won't get that joke).

I'm curious about your feedback on pistols. Teach me some shit, I know nothing more about guns than what I've learned in first person shooters. I've only fired a couple shotguns in my lifetime, aside from that I have only BB gun practice. I want you to edjumacte me, I am willing to learn.

*sponge mode: on*
    Back for the first time.

Is WI a castle law state where you can shoot to kill if they're in your house and your life is threatened? If so - AMEN! If not, that sucks...

For home protection, my buddy bought a shotgun and modded it all out. The shotgun itself though only costs $300 and if you're keeping it in your house and such it doesn't require the permit. If you want to carry it around, then yeah you'll need that permit, but home protection not so much.
    - Brian Meissen
    Owner, MiFBody.com
    Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.

2014 Camaro LFX M6 - Cherry Bomb
    13th!!! Annual Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2017
    June 10th, 2017 - 9am to 3pm!!!
    Bakers of Milford, Milford, MI

Comment

I am about 90% sure the castle doctorine applies here.
      Back for the first time.

Comment

Do some research on local laws, if you listen to people on the internet for legal advice you're a moron. With that said, no state offers legal immunity for killing someone simply for entering your home.

My suggestion, start with a firearm safety course, maybe a CCW class. Then go to a range (most of which that sell guns on site offer to rent firearms) and try out different sizes and calibers until you find what you like. The rest is just picking which is prettier.

Comment

Originally posted by rsfiredogg View Post
          Do some research on local laws, if you listen to people on the internet for legal advice you're a moron. With that said, no state offers legal immunity for killing someone simply for entering your home.

My suggestion, start with a firearm safety course, maybe a CCW class. Then go to a range (most of which that sell guns on site offer to rent firearms) and try out different sizes and calibers until you find what you like. The rest is just picking which is prettier.
          I've taken some Criminal Justice classes, one of which we beat the "Castle Doctrine" topic into the ground and no, I wouldn't say you're granted immunity for killing someone but its a very gray area.. And if said state has applied stand-your-ground law, chances are if you snub bad guy after he kicks in your door, there isn't a lot he can say in his defense. I understand there are a lot of circumstances, but I wouldn't say I'm a stranger to this topic. I've studied it in college more than once.

Thanks for the tips on guns... I'm merely looking for info on what people like, see if people have a preferred "brand" to know where to start and go from there. I'm just looking to dip my toes in the pool atm.
          Last edited by paarman97maro; May 4th, 2012, 07:50 PM.
          Back for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by paarman97maro View Post
            I've taken some Criminal Justice classes, one of which we beat the "Castle Doctrine" topic into the ground and no, I wouldn't say you're granted immunity for killing someone but its a very gray area.. And if said state has applied stand-your-ground law, chances are if you snub bad guy after he kicks in your door, there isn't a lot he can say in his defense. I understand there are a lot of circumstances, but I wouldn't say I'm a stranger to this topic. I've studied it in college more than once.

Thanks for the tips on guns... I'm merely looking for info on what people like, see if people have a preferred "brand" to know where to start and go from there. I'm just looking to dip my toes in the pool atm.
            Not really grey at all. Just because someone kicks in your door does not grant you to respond with deadly force.

Go shoot a few handguns and see what you like - its all personal preference like I said before. Some guys stand by Glock, they're cheap and get the job done. Others will tell you to get a 1911 and will swear up and down with Kimber - others will tell you to buy cheap like a Kel-Tec or Taurus. It all depends in what you want, and what you're going to use it for. Kind of like saying "I've never driven a car before, which one should I buy?" You have to narrow it down a little more by giving specifics on what it's going to be used for, how often you plan on shooting, where/how you are going to carry it, how accurate you are, etc...

Comment

Just like what he said ^ Go to a gunshop or find a friend that will let you shoot some different pistols. I run a Taurus pt709 slim, with 500+rds and not one hiccup, taurus does seem to have a lot of haters but their quality of there service and firearms seems to be getting way better. Plus they are very affordable, and the 709 suited all of my needs in a concealed carry piece. There is also a lot of things to consider when getting into concealed carry. It isn't just "am I willing to carry a weapon on me everyday", there is also the question "Am I willing to use it when necessary, and take someones life to save my own or a loved ones life". It's not as cut and dry as some people think.
              - 2012 Mustang GT 5.0 - M6 / Brembo Package / 3.73 / Bama Tune / Catless X / Corsa Xtreme /
              - 2006 TBSS 2wd - Nitrous Grind Cam / Stainless Works LT's / Nitrous Works / FMStune / IeatSRT CAI / Stg 6 Trans / Kbee Coilovers / SOLD
              - 1997 Camaro - Crane 234 242 / PortedPolishedMilled / Kooks / Borla / CompClutch / pro5.0 / 4.10's / SLP / SOLD
              - 2008 G8 GT - Kooks / Vararam / HSRK / FMStune / SOLD
              sigpic

Comment

Listen to what Josh has posted, he is giving youexcellent information.

You really need to learnhow to shoot before you put down the cash on a firearm plus you need to look atexactly what the firearm will be used for. For purely home protection a shotgunis a great choice but remember, you are responsible for every single piece ofshot that comes out. Take a firearm safety course that includes live fire andthen hit the range and rent firearms from them. It's cheap to do and they'lllet you shoot as many different guns as you want. I personally shoot IDPA tokeep my skills where they need to be so if the time comes when I am forced topull the trigger I know my shots will be true.

As for handguns like Josh said some people swear by 1911's while others swear byGLOCKS. I personally love the 1911 and even use one as my duty weapon, withthat said I will steer you away from any single action firearm. A novice doesnot need a single action nor do you want a firearm with a safety. I would saylook at the polymer firearms, GLOCKS, M&P's, XDm's, etc... All areexcellent choices and are not too expensive. You can buy a police trade inGLOCK on the cheap and it'll run just fine. No matter which firearm you getlearn how it works, there isn't a single firearm that I own that I cannot do afull detail strip on.

Yes Wisconsin now has Castle Doctrine which does a lot to protect the homeowner legally when lethal force is needed. But again like Josh said just becausesomeone breaks into your house it does not give you free range to commitmurder. As a police officer I have responded to and investigated my fair shareof home invasions with some including where someone was shot in the process.Let me tell you that no matter how safe you are legally expect to have yourfirearm taken away and to be handcuffed and brought to the station to be questioned. This is simply until the officers figure out what is going on andwho is truly the victim and who is the offender.

I know you are very much against Scott Walker but he did pass not only Castle Doctrine but also Concealed Carry. My personal feeling is that every lawabiding citizen should have a concealed carry permit and a firearm on them allthe time. Make the criminals think twice before they attack and everyone has aright to personal safety.

If you are ever on the southeast corner of the state I'll be happy to take you tothe range and to shoot several of my firearms as well as help teach you what Iknow.
                MidwestGerman.com

Comment

I have a ruger 9mm 17 rounds I love it great gun
                  The Original

Originally posted by 81DaytonaPaceCar

Can you argue that it's "revolutionary"? Perhaps. Just because it's "new" and "different" doesn't mean it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Comment

start by loking at your states website, its full of great useful info, take a ccw class, even if you dont follow thru with the permit, its very informitive, i just took my CCW class and will be applting for my ccw in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
                      Listen to what Josh has posted, he is giving youexcellent information.

You really need to learnhow to shoot before you put down the cash on a firearm plus you need to look atexactly what the firearm will be used for. For purely home protection a shotgunis a great choice but remember, you are responsible for every single piece ofshot that comes out. Take a firearm safety course that includes live fire andthen hit the range and rent firearms from them. It's cheap to do and they'lllet you shoot as many different guns as you want. I personally shoot IDPA tokeep my skills where they need to be so if the time comes when I am forced topull the trigger I know my shots will be true.

As for handguns like Josh said some people swear by 1911's while others swear byGLOCKS. I personally love the 1911 and even use one as my duty weapon, withthat said I will steer you away from any single action firearm. A novice doesnot need a single action nor do you want a firearm with a safety. I would saylook at the polymer firearms, GLOCKS, M&P's, XDm's, etc... All areexcellent choices and are not too expensive. You can buy a police trade inGLOCK on the cheap and it'll run just fine. No matter which firearm you getlearn how it works, there isn't a single firearm that I own that I cannot do afull detail strip on.

Yes Wisconsin now has Castle Doctrine which does a lot to protect the homeowner legally when lethal force is needed. But again like Josh said just becausesomeone breaks into your house it does not give you free range to commitmurder. As a police officer I have responded to and investigated my fair shareof home invasions with some including where someone was shot in the process.Let me tell you that no matter how safe you are legally expect to have yourfirearm taken away and to be handcuffed and brought to the station to be questioned. This is simply until the officers figure out what is going on andwho is truly the victim and who is the offender.

I know you are very much against Scott Walker but he did pass not only Castle Doctrine but also Concealed Carry. My personal feeling is that every lawabiding citizen should have a concealed carry permit and a firearm on them allthe time. Make the criminals think twice before they attack and everyone has aright to personal safety.

If you are ever on the southeast corner of the state I'll be happy to take you tothe range and to shoot several of my firearms as well as help teach you what Iknow.
                      I agree 110% on the .45, they unload ALL the energy directly in to the body, seldom get a thru and thru. im lloking at the G30SF by glock,there handguns are built like tanks! our instructor pulled his mag, cleared the weapon, and with the slide open tossed it across the room on the floor, we were shooting that same glock later that day. you cant hurt them! its a 10 round .45. Im also putting apps out to the local PD's for a reserve position. which is why i took the class.

Comment

Working...
                      X