X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 camaro z28 not getting gas

My car has been running great, no problems!! I was at a stop light and went to take off and my car stalled, and would not fire up. Towed it home and put staring fluid in the throttle body and it sputtered a little bit.. I figured it must not be getting any fuel...I checked the fuses all seemed fine. I used a obd 2 scanner and it said it could not connect to my computer( I figured it was because i have a aftermarket cpu and its dyno tuned). So I bought a fuel pump relay and replaced it and It didnt make any difference... My dad took the gas cap off and put his ear up to the neck and he said he couldnt here the fuel pump at all(never tried listening for it before so dont know if thats a distinctive sound you should here?) so please if anybody has any suggestions on were to go from here please let me know... thank you in advance!!!!

Fuel pump

Comment

Yup, sounds like the fuel pump. You shouldn't have to even take the gas cap off to hear it. When you turn the key to the on position before starting the car, you'll hear the "whine" of the fuel pump priming the fuel lines so you have pressure at crank. If you turn the key and don't hear anything at all aside from maybe the clicking of the relay, it's definitely the fuel pump.
      - Brian Meissen
      Owner, MiFBody.com
      Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
      2022 Camaro LT1 - "Cherry Bomb 2"
      Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2022
      June 4th, 2022 - 9am to 3pm!!!
      The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

What about wiring? Do you think a wire could have came loose or a bad ground? Or would a fuel pump just die like that without any previous problems with it?

Comment

alot of times the pump will work again once cooled down. or take you hand or a mallet and fimly hit the bottom of the fuel tank while someone is cycling the key.
          to check the wiring you will need to get to the pump so you might as well replace it while your there

Comment

there is a thread on here on how to replace pump with trap door method.
            sigpic
            1998 Trans Am Convertible A4 - WS6 hood, WS6 air lid, WS6 rims, drilled/slotted rotors.

Comment

just ordered the fuel pump, will install when it comes in... Will update when finished.

Comment

Wish I would have found this thread earlier. I would have loaned you my fuel pressure gauge before you bought the new fuel pump. So, did the fuel pump fix the issue?
                sigpic

Comment

yes it did....yesterday, but now the car today wont start again..

Comment

20120711_091116.jpg

This is the old pump!!!!!

Could there still be a problem some were with the wiring? I cant believe that its normal!!!!

Comment

So new fuel pump and still not starting? Can you confirm the pump is priming?

Edit: wow, ive never seen anything like that before!
                      -Joel
                      1995 Z28 M6 - AI226/234 - autocross ricer
                      1984 Scottsdale K10 - 305/4bbl/4spd

WTB List:Midwest Chasis DS Loop

Comment

What could have caused that??? Any help please!!!

Comment

Holy shitz, never seen that before either. Scary to think that happened in the gas tank.
                          - Brian Meissen
                          Owner, MiFBody.com
                          Administrator, LTxTech.com

1994 Camaro LT1 Transplant - 357ci LT1, cammed, stalled, and driven.
                          2022 Camaro LT1 - "Cherry Bomb 2"
                          Michigan FBody Meet & Greet Car Show 2022
                          June 4th, 2022 - 9am to 3pm!!!
                          The HUB Stadium, Auburn Hills, MI

Comment

Ok I Just went outside I turned my key ON and left it there for a few minutes...... Turned it over and she very reluctently started run ruff for a couple seconds and then back to normal..... Any suggestions?

Comment

Ya I know that is really scary.... Next time might not be as lucky......

Comment

Working...
                              X